'SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life'

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

'SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Life'

Postby liquidstayce » Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:29 am

I have to say this book is out of this world. Like I had mentioned in the thread that Lion posted, I had read just a basic article from Dr. Pratt online but today I bought the book and read almost half of it tonight. I HIGHLY encourage you all to pick it up or at least walk into Barnes and Nobel, grab a chair, and read it for 10 minutes. A lot of the info I knew since I have been into good nutrition for such a long time and just eating healthy in general but I am also learning plenty of new things as well along with some great tips. Dr. Pratt and the co-writer, Kathy Matthews really goes into why these foods are so good for you and backs up with plenty of scientific evidence. The first half of the book lays out the principals and then a chapter is dedicated to each super food. It also has shopping lists, menus, great recipes. Plus it doesn't focus on what not to eat but what to eat so that the occasional lousy food you eat is OK. It is very realistic and sound advice. Not at all a diet but just a really healthy way of living.

Sav - Also picked up that book on Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Have not started reading that yet but will as soon as I am done with this book. It looks really good.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Savanna » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:06 pm

i'll have to look up the book you mentioned :) and glad you got the other too!

~sav
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:40 pm

I am having a major super foods day today already.

Breakfast
---------------
1/2 cup Colombo light vanilla yogurt
2 TB Wheat Germ (this toasted one: http://www.kretschmer.com/benefits/benefits.cfm )
2 TB Flax seed Meal (this one: http://www.bobsredmill.com/catalog/inde ... uct_ID=175 )
10 blueberries (I just buy frozen in bulk)
1/4 cup protein crunch cereal (here : http://www.bodytrends.com/products/nutr ... cereal.htm )

Snack
----------------------
Green Tea
1 Stringsters Mozzarella Cheese Stick
Kashi Chewy Granola Bars, Peanut Butter Flavor (this one: http://www.kashi.com/gl_granola_ppb.aspx?SID=1 )

Lunch
---------------------------
Stacy's Version of Superfood Salad (picked all organic produce):
Came out to about 2 cups total. I ate probably 1 1/2 cups worth
1/4 red pepper
sprinkle assorted sprouts including broccoli sprouts, crunchy sprouts, alfalfa
approx 20 baby spinach leaves
some mixed field greens
sprinkle of shredded carrots
sprinkle of shredded red cabbage
10 grape tomatoes
10 - 15 dried cranberries
5 walnuts
dash of sunflower seeds
1/4 of an avocado ( I buy trader joes frozen avocado halves so I always have some on hand - fresh tastes better though)
drizzle of good quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil
drizzle of good quality balsamic vinegar

Snack
------------------
Sugar Free Jello Pudding Cup (the premade ones now come in sugar free)
2 TB Toasted Wheat Germ

Dinner
---------------
Alaskan Salmon Burgers (I need to pick some canned salmon up to make this. I am not into fish at all but going to give this a try after reading the book and finding out how wonderful Salmon is for you). Making a yogurt dressing to go with it as well.
Mixed Greens similar to lunch salad on the burger
Butternut Squash as a side (bought frozen from Wegmans)

Snack
--------------------
Decaf Green Tea
Mixed Berries w/ 1/4 cup 2% cottage breakstones cottage cheese
(again I keep lots of frozen berries so I always have them on hand - I actually like to eat them frozen and not defrost - in his book he mentiones frozen is usually just as good as fresh and sometimes better if not buying from a farm stand because they are flash frozen right after picking)
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 12, 2005 7:51 pm

ok.. I was not into the salmon burgers at all.. I really hate fish no matter how often I try it and no matter how it is prepared. Ended up taking a few bites and then tossed it. I then got 2 protein balls that Dana made (natural peanut butter, oats, wheat germ, protein powder)
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:05 pm

Taco bell changed my life last night. I don't think my colon has ever been cleaner.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:10 pm

hahahahahaha ... that has happened to Dana recently too
I've been there as well in the past. Who needs colon cleansings when ya have taco bell!
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Adivina » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:17 am

My problem with this is I like to eat big ass portions or else I am still hungry. I now I need to chill out soon because my metabolism is starting to slow down from its previously undefeatable state.

I have gained about 35 pounds, I'm up from 95 to 124ish. This brought me from a size zero being a bit baggy, to wearing a size 2 or 3 in jeans, which I am happy with because I don't feel like a twig anymore. I still get comments about how slim I am from some people, but I feel like this is the weight I want to stay at. I need to do some toning and start eating right again so I can maintain myself at a weight where I am happy, but goddamnit I am so hungry all the time. ><
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby liquidstayce » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:40 am

AdivinaDarkfyre wrote:My problem with this is I like to eat big ass portions or else I am still hungry. I now I need to chill out soon because my metabolism is starting to slow down from its previously undefeatable state.

I have gained about 35 pounds, I'm up from 95 to 124ish. This brought me from a size zero being a bit baggy, to wearing a size 2 or 3 in jeans, which I am happy with because I don't feel like a twig anymore. I still get comments about how slim I am from some people, but I feel like this is the weight I want to stay at. I need to do some toning and start eating right again so I can maintain myself at a weight where I am happy, but goddamnit I am so hungry all the time. ><

Wow.. you are so tiny woman! How tall are you? I can't imagine ever getting that small. I'd be content with maintaining around 135 - 150. Higher if I can pack on more muscle. I've been 170 with lots of muscle and looked really good. This morning I was 201 so I have at least another 51lbs to go in this journey.

I promise you that if you are eating correctly you will not be hungry. If you need to feel full with larger portion just make higher fiber choices and pick lower cal foods which is usually one and the same. Also try playing with balancing the carb/fat/protein. For example if you just eat a simple carb it will burn faster and you will be much more hungry after your body digests it.

How do you break out your meals - post a sample meal day with portions and if you want I can give you some feedback and ideas.

Initial tips =
1) don't buy any bread that has less than 3grams of fiber
2) make sure every meal has some healthy fat and lean protein in it
3) pick less calorie dense foods
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Adivina » Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:51 am

My eating schedule is sporatic at best when I am in school.

(oh btw I am 5'3'')

Somedays I will have breakfast - usually some yogurt with granola in it

Somedays I will get to sneak into the cafeteria and get free lunch from the culinary students.

If I am working, I don't get dinner until very late and its usually crappy food.

Somedays I go straight through not getting to eat anything until the evening. :(
Donnel wrote:

Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby liquidstayce » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:57 pm

I'm just 5'4. Some people try to say I am 5'3 too =P

well no wonder you are hungry all the time at least if you are in school

First of add some more protein to your breakfast - try the toasted wheat germ. If you can make a little omlet that would be good as well. Always eat breakfast. It is important and will help with hunger and portion control the rest of the day.

Sounds like you need more easy snacks that you can carry in your purse. Is time an issue?
Perdue Chicken Cuts
Cheese Sticks
Kashi Granola Bars
Handful of Nuts + some tried fruit
PB & Fruit Preserves on a whole wheat

at least have something for lunch if you can't get one at school

Minimally you should eat three meals a day. There is research to prove now that 5-6 smaller meals are better than the three large ones. Of course you are going to be starving, make bad choices, and overeat at night if your are not eating all day long.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Adivina » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:47 pm

Yeah, I tend to pig out when I get home because I am so hungry from the day. I need to look into portable food options, time is always an issue for me. Right now I am starving, but I did not want to eat or drink all day because I felt like crap. Nursing a gatoraide because I am at work and thats all I have. :(
Donnel wrote:

Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Captain Insano » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Update:

That taco bell is still kicking two days later like an angry enraged ass-rhinocerus.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:41 pm

AdivinaDarkfyre wrote:Yeah, I tend to pig out when I get home because I am so hungry from the day. I need to look into portable food options, time is always an issue for me. Right now I am starving, but I did not want to eat or drink all day because I felt like crap. Nursing a gatoraide because I am at work and thats all I have. :(

Yipes.. ya gets some portable stuff. Even protein shakes are portable these days. Plenty of portable solutions. I have to do that often because of my busy schedule at work. Lots of times I have back to back meetings and lunch may mean downing a handful of nuts, an apple, and a cheese stick. Like I said - the Kashi bars are good for that as well or you can even buy some of those genisoy protein chips. Just eat a little something healthy so your body doesn't go into starvation mode and store that next meal as fat. I always keep some backup food in my purse just in case I can't do a planned sitdown meal too.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:44 pm

captain_insano wrote:Update:

That taco bell is still kicking two days later like an angry enraged ass-rhinocerus.

well that sucks... usually food doesn't mess me up more then a few hours unless I get some sort of virus or food poisoning. Wonder if that is what is going on with your system. In either case time and pepto bismol are probably the only cure along with making sure you don't get dehydrated.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Captain Insano » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:46 pm

Actually I don't think it is the taco bell... I have this gourmet food service based on the zone diet...It's coming to an end in a week, but they have a tendency to use a lot of exotic ingredients and something from yesterday's meals tore my insides apart.

My shitter will never recover, poor thing.

Darcler:

Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby liquidstayce » Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:23 am

Oh thats right. I remember saying you were going to do that I think. How is the service? My girlfriend just started the Diet To Go program and she says it is great but she ends up eating between meals.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:01 am

Eat some ice cream, Ralf....at least then you'll have something to look forward to in the bathroom.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: 'SuperFoods Rx : Fourteen Foods That Will Change Your Li

Postby Lionking » Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:10 pm

liquidstayce wrote:I have to say this book is out of this world. Like I had mentioned in the thread that Lion posted, I had read just a basic article from Dr. Pratt online but today I bought the book and read almost half of it tonight. I HIGHLY encourage you all to pick it up or at least walk into Barnes and Nobel, grab a chair, and read it for 10 minutes. A lot of the info I knew since I have been into good nutrition for such a long time and just eating healthy in general but I am also learning plenty of new things as well along with some great tips. Dr. Pratt and the co-writer, Kathy Matthews really goes into why these foods are so good for you and backs up with plenty of scientific evidence. The first half of the book lays out the principals and then a chapter is dedicated to each super food. It also has shopping lists, menus, great recipes. Plus it doesn't focus on what not to eat but what to eat so that the occasional lousy food you eat is OK. It is very realistic and sound advice. Not at all a diet but just a really healthy way of living....

There is a follow-up book coming out at the end of December / beginning of January that looks good too.

Here's an 'amazon' link that gives more details: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/006075 ... e&n=283155

-Out

:vonk:
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:16 am

Cool deal. I'll get that one too on the 27th. Thanks for the link.
"dark chocolate and kiwis, as well as lots of exercise"
YAY on all three =)
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum