Cardio and weights on the same day?

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Cardio and weights on the same day?

Postby Goose_Man » Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:30 am

Is is reccomended?

If so how should one spread it out? Do cardio right after weights or should you wait a few hours?
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jesus » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:28 am

do cardio before lifting every time and then after lifting np.
Jesus
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Postby Dylan » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:54 am

Lift while running.
Dylan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:13 am

The controversy has been out on this one for along time. My thoughts...

The type of cardio that I like to do before weightlifting is a 10 min warm-up. The main objective is to get the blood flowing before diving into some heavy lifting. A brief cardio warm-up before weightlifting will increase blood flow and prevent the risk of injury.

Cardio After Weightlifting... Glycogen stores are close to depleted after a brutal weightlifting session. Glycogen is the body's chief source of energy. Therefore, by performing cardio after working out, when glycogen is on the verge of being depleted, the body will begin drawing energy from elsewhere: fat stores. This works great for me since I am trying to burn fat. Typically I will do 20-30 min of cardio after I lift and no more. I believe that performing 30 minutes of low intensity cardio, in which you keep your heart rate at 65-75% of your max heart rate is probably best. If I have a really hard leg session then I just do 5-10 min cool down cardio. Keep in mind when glycogen is depleted, the body will not always turn to fat stores for energy. Lean body mass (AKA hard earned muscle) is also at stake. If you are hard core trying to buid muscle don't go too heavy on the cardio after lifting. Keep the intensity down. The main focus on your lifting days should be lifting. The main focus on your cardio days should be cardio. Even on my cardio days though I follow with a little core stuff too though - back/abs and then some nice stretching.

One last thing.. Some people like to do cardio before they lift to get it over with. I've done this sometimes as well. I still think it takes away from your resistance session but better to do it then skip it all together.

All this workout talk.. I need to get back in the gym! Soon as I recover from the surgery I am having on the 29th I will be working back up to my 6 days a week. Full body resistance sessions + cardio.
Last edited by liquidstayce on Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 26, 2005 8:30 am

opps... I just reread your post again. If you can do double sessions that is awesome. Those can tire me out. I tried that a couple times when I was consistent for a long time with my workouts. I would not suggest it unless you have been working out for a long time, are in great shape, eating well, and have no issues with muscle recovery. If all that is in place then HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training) or moderate to higher intesity cardio sessions can be done same day but at least 6 hours from your reistance/lifting session. If you try that for a couple weeks and find that muscle recovery is taking much longer then go back to single sessions. I'd suggest only doing this one or two times a week max. Make sure you rest well after. Rest and Recovery is just as critical as cardio and resistance training to stay healthy, burn fat, and grow muscle but you probably already know that. :wink:
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Goose_Man » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:43 pm

Thanks for the input.. I was curious about doing it right after lifting because of the glycogen stores are all gone and it would have to use my fats!

Trying to get down to 9-10% is proving to be a challenge I’m stuck at 12% BF
Goose_Man
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby liquidstayce » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:14 pm

I'm sure it is a challenge. Very hard when you get to that level and then also maintain it. Would love to hear what ends up working for ya!
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum