Happy Re-Birthday to me! SMOKIN!

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Happy Re-Birthday to me! SMOKIN!

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:09 am

1 year post op today .. YAY! Holding at 103 lbs LOST for the last week.
Now just to get off that last 30 or so!

So I decided to give myself a gift.
NO MORE FUCKING SMOKING! Yes.. me... fitness guru.. health fanatic decided to pick up smoking 8 weeks ago after years of not smoking. Dana started smoking too so that didn't help much. With me it was just hanging out in the club scene.. drinking a little.. smoking a little. Well with all the stress in my life that started to carry into the work week too. I smoked on and off in high school and college too.. cigs and other substances. Then became anti-smoke queen for years!! It is just so bad.. it smells bad, it tates bad, and lung cancer is the leading cause of death in the country. Plus it costs a shitload of money.

Sooooooo wish me luck. Im going cold turkey. This is the 2nd time I've tried in the last week. I keep telling myself this is my 1 yr re-birthday gift. Rededicating myself to my health and well being.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Harrison » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:06 am

:wtf:

People over 18 pick up smoking on a whim?
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:09 am

shush u
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:25 am

I can't wait until they issue hunting licences for smokers~
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Aatrex » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:34 am

I used the gum for about two weeks to quit. Worked very well for me. Anyways, you have my sympathies, it blows ass quitting but being without smoking is such release.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Jimmy Durante » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:36 am

liquidstayce wrote:shush u

He has a point, though.

Thanks to NY's smoking laws, us decent citizens no longer have to be subjected to nicotine puffing swine indoors. :gtfo2:
Jimmy Durante
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:40 am

Jimmy Durante wrote:
liquidstayce wrote:shush u

He has a point, though.

Thanks to NY's smoking laws, us decent citizens no longer have to be subjected to nicotine puffing swine indoors. :gtfo2:

It's called "don't go to places where people can smoke". Even when the state allowed smoking indoors, there were plenty of places that still did no smoking. Most smokers are cool with that, but what is BS is that there's places where everyone smokes, now those places can't allow people to smoke thus hurting business etc etc.
Jay

Postby Zanchief » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:44 am

Not true. We've had a smoking ban in public places in Ottawa for a while now and that was the big crux of the argument against it. Some businesses took a hit at first but things stabilised once people knew they didn't have a choice.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:41 pm

I have to say going out in Baltimore everyone still smokes but when I was in Boston the no smoking thing made it very difficult. I wish they would ban smoking here too.

Anyway.. so far so good today.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tacks » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:43 pm

sigh
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:01 pm

Good luck Stayce. I had to use the "Commit" lozenge for about 2 months after I quit smoking, but it worked. I haven't blazed up for 2 1/2 years now.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Markarado » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:27 pm

I would really like to quit smoking. I've tried several times and failed. I've never tried using gum or patches though. Any suggestions as to what brand names to use? I don't know what I can get here in Malaysia, but my parents will be in the United States this summer for a month. I'd like to know what to ask them to buy for me....

On another note.... I'll be going to Shanghai during that month my parents are in the States to take care of their dog. Looking forward to it. I kinda miss the place.... kinda =)
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Darcler » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:28 pm

How I stopped:
Didnt buy another pack.

It's worked so far :dunno:
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Diekan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:45 pm

Going cold turkey is supposed to the best true way to quite. I've never been a smoker, but I've been told that if you can make it for three days straight you're in the clear. I don't know why though. I guess it has something to do with the nic taking three days to clear your system.

Anyone know why the 'three day rule' is three days?
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:52 pm

ya, it's the nicotine thing... after those three days, the "need" to smoke is just mental.

i quit about a year ago (after smoking for about four years) and it wasn't TOO bad... though i still can't hang out in bars or with my roommates without wishing at least for a second that i could smoke with them.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Aatrex » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:55 pm

In my experience the three days was horseshit. I went cold turkey for about two months and finally gave in. I'm sure it was all mental. I could hold out mentally for probably the worst of it in the beginning. Then by the end of the ordeal you're tired of fighting it. Nasty shit.
Aatrex
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Trielelvan » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:55 pm

Happy Birthday Stayce! :balloons:

The 3 day thing is supposed to work because, indeed, that's how long it takes for nicotine to flush from your system.

Reality check: the theory of quitting for 3 days puts you in the clear is a crock of shit for a lot of people. It depends on your body. Jj took past 6 days to get fully clear of the nicotine in his body... not that it mattered. He's still smoking ><

Good luck hon! I know you can do this. You do NOT want this to beat you. There, I said it. There's the challenge. You gonna let that dinky cigarette beat you missy? :biggrin:
Fill the smoking time with excercise. I know a lot of people have beat it that way (not to mention, it will help flush your system that much faster).

And Mop... omgz... you?? Smoking??? Shame on you!!! :cussing:

(editted to say:)
Also, since Leah ninja'd... :teehee:
Always keep in mind, once a smoker, always a smoker, at least to a certain degree. Don't get to thinking that once you've quit, you won't want one again. There are people that have quit for 30 or 40+ years, and they can still say with utter certainty that there are days when a cigarette just sounds so incredibly satisfying.
The trick is not to give in.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Martrae » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:50 pm

Kahar quit about a month or so ago. He's been getting thru his need for cigs with those big life savers mints. He did tell me today was the first day he was REALLY tempted to buy a pack of cigarettes and he couldn't because he was so incredibly busy at work he couldn't get away.

His dad quit smoking for 20 years and suddenly took it up again because his second wife smoked. :(
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:31 am

Martrae wrote:Kahar quit about a month or so ago. He's been getting thru his need for cigs with those big life savers mints. He did tell me today was the first day he was REALLY tempted to buy a pack of cigarettes and he couldn't because he was so incredibly busy at work he couldn't get away.

His dad quit smoking for 20 years and suddenly took it up again because his second wife smoked. :(

He should take up coke again.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Martrae » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:34 am

Never happen.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:47 am

That's what all the cokeheads say.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jennay » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:23 pm

I only tried smoking as a teenager but never got addicted, so me saying just stop buying them wouldn't be fair. You can do it though. I don't want to sound preachy either, but my mom is 62 and smoked since she was 17...and now she has C.O.P.D. (lund disease) and has an oxygen tank in the living room with a 50 ft cord. It's really sad and she now wishes she had quit for good long ago when she tried. This won't happen to every smoker, but I statisically I can guarantee one of you who smoke WILL get copd and possibly die from it's side effects someday. That and the fact they cost, what, $4.60 a pack kinda sucks.
Jennay
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Hylissa » Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:32 pm

Jennay wrote:That and the fact they cost, what, $4.60 a pack kinda sucks.

$7.40 here ~
Hylissa
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Adivina » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:13 pm

So much negativity in this thread! AH!!!

Good luck Stayce.
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Samboa » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:53 pm

ha $3.30 here. Indian smokeshops FTW!

Or FTL. Whichever way you want to look at it.
Samboa
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum