Sprained Ankle

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Sprained Ankle

Postby Markarado » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:44 pm

So I sprained my ankle playing squash. When I was young this was a very regular occurance as I played a lot of competitive basketball. Back then I'd be fine in a week to start playing again as long as the sprain wasn't really bad. The sprain I have now doesn't seem that bad. It's on the outer right side of my right foot. How long should I wait after it 'feels' fine to start playing squash again? I know that as I get older I should probably wait a bit longer to let it heal... .
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Xaiveir » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:38 am

Its hard to put a time table on it. Depending on how severe the sprain is, you want to make sure the swelling is completley gone, and you have no lingering "tenderness" in it.

Alternate heat and ice in 10-15 minute intervals, and keep it elevated. Time tables for them vary. Some sprains that seam severe turn out to heal very quickly....a day or two. Others that dont hurt that much, can linger for months and months.

Have you had an Xray done on it? You may want to get one to be safe. Some sprains can feel worse than a break or fracture. Its pretty common to mistake a fracture in the ankle with a sprain.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:49 am

Might want to seek advice from a real doctor instead of a bunch of EQ heads on a message board. Just a thought.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:21 am

Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:28 am

Have your hot Malay girlfriend give you a BJ. That does nothing for your sprained ankle but hey.
Jay

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:39 am

Have your hot Malay girlfriend give you a BJ. That does nothing for your sprained ankle but hey.

Yep, you can always use the old "that's how we do it in America" excuse.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:58 am

I was gonna ask if squash was a new sexual position....

If so, details please.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ginzburgh » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:19 pm

It's tea bagging with the only difference being you don't wipe your ass after you take a dump.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Xaiveir » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:27 pm

Diekan wrote:Might want to seek advice from a real doctor instead of a bunch of EQ heads on a message board. Just a thought.

Or you can take it from a guy that has had multiple sprained ankles and broken ankles . Been to more doctors than he cares to remember, and plays sports, and has talked to numerous athletic trainers on the exact subject.

However as i previously stated you do need an X Ray on it.
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:54 pm

Every time I thought I only sprained my ankle it was broken

I was just an idiot and tightened the cleats/brace and ran it off.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby liquidstayce » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:04 am

I walked on a hairline fracture in my ankle for 6 months and didn't know it. Still is a weaker ankle now because of that. You should get it checked. Cool that you play squash. We had courts in the gym Dana use to work at and a Sqaush Pro on staff. I learned how to play racketball at an early age. Squash is so much harder!
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Phlegm » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:48 pm

you may need to amputate.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:19 am

Phlegm wrote:you may need to amputate.

Good idea. I suggest using the following method:

First get the following items: bottle of scotch, 1 hacksaw, 1 blow torch, some gauze, some duct tape, large butcher knife.

Step one: Drink half the scotch.
Step two: Use hacksaw to cut foot off just above the ankle. Pour remaining scotch over exposed muscle and bone.
Step three: Don’t scream like a pussy.
Step four: Continue cutting till you are completely through.
Step five: Use blow torch to heat the butcher knife blade till it’s nice and red hot.
Step six: Place glowing hot butcher knife blade on bleeding wound. Repeat this step till you see no more blood running from wound (cauterizing).
Step seven: Wrap wound up in gauze and duct tape accordingly.

Finally, throw bloody foot in trash can and call it a day. Oh and wash the butcher knife completely. You don’t want to get sick from cutting up tomorrow’s stake with it do you?
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Markarado » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:42 am

Seriously, fuck doctors. Also, there is no pain or swelling anymore. Apparently it wasn't so bad... I wore a brace for two days and did my best to stay off the ancle and keep it up.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Diekan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:56 am

You may say that now because you're young. Wait till you're in your 40's and you start having serious problems with your ankle - and then think back to the time you didn't seek real medical advice when you had the problem to start with.

Not saying that will happen, but unless you have a crystal ball you're rolling the dice.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Xaiveir » Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:24 am

You are rolling the dice as Diekan said. Even though the swelling has subsided, there may be some structural damage you are not seeing or feeling. I aggree that doctors fucking suck, but with an ankle injury it is important to at least get an X ray done.

Even though it feels better i would still take it easy for a week or so, dont go doing 100% workout on it till you are sure it is healed. You are more likely to reinjure it now also, so make sure you take care of it.

Also if there is ANY discomfort in the ankle after doing physicall activity, shut it down. Even it its just "tender" and you can still walk on it fine. Last thing you want to do is have it flair up again.
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 am

Now that I'm 30, I've learned this rule the hard way

If you pull a muscle, or strain/sprain a joint, stay off it, and ice it until it feels 100%

then stay off it, and ice for 1 more week
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum