fried rice

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

fried rice

Postby leah » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:23 pm

so i'm on a chinese food craving kick right now, and i've been avoiding it but i really want some fried rice. is there some way to make it that isn't terribly unhealthy?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby DangerPaul » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 pm

no
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:25 pm

bummer :( what do i do
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby DangerPaul » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:29 pm

become a fatty mcfat and enjoy your life and quit putting so much focus on your weight, if you die in a car wreck tomorrow, does that extra 200 calories from fried rice really hurt?
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: fried rice

Postby vonkaar » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:37 pm

leah wrote:fried

leah wrote:healthy?

no
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby leah » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:45 pm

hehe i figured

and be nice to me paul :(
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby DangerPaul » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:04 pm

I am being nice to you, after 2 funerals in 2 weeks I have come to the conclusion I am going to live my life completely and enjoy every moment of it. I no longer give a fuck about other's opinions, as long as I am enjoying myself.
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:09 pm

That's fried rice, you plick!
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby DangerPaul » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:42 pm

flied lice
DangerPaul
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:53 pm

Yes Leah, you can make it healthy. Take some cooked brown rice, add a frozen vegetable medley to it (peas & carrots), a couple boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2"-to-1" chunks, and fry it with a couple tablespoons of "Smart Balance Light" spread (which is delicious), and... Voila! Chicken Fried Rice without the oil or artery-clogging trans-fats. Flavor with Lawry's seasoned salt and garlic pepper, and just a touch of Kikkoman "light" soy sauce. It's a bit high on sodium, but just watch how much you put in it and you'll be fine.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:11 pm

Another healthier way to make it that a lot of people really enjoy (why, I don't know, but a number do) is instead of making actually fried rice, is this:

Cook the rice according to package directions, but instead of using all water, use half water, and half a mixture of 3/4 water 1/4 soy sauce + 1 tbsp of sesame oil, 1 tbsp of vinegar (rice wine, white wine, red wine, or plain - any will do), and enough black pepper to taste (optional).

While the rice is cooking, scramble a couple of egg whites (or whole eggs if you prefer) and set aside. Also, as Mindia said above, ready an appropriate amount of frozen veggies (use whatever you like - just make sure they are cut to a dice), and shredded/cubed chicken, beef, or whatever meat you want. Just make sure the meat is cooked already.

Once the rice is done, take it OFF the heat, fluff it a bit, add the frozen veggies, and cover again for about 15 minutes. Then, add the rest of the ingredients, and toss it like a salad.

This works best with converted or par boiled rice.

If made with just egg whites and boneless skinless poached chicken breast, there is only a trace amount of fat from the chicken and sesame oil (which is very good for you btw, and adds a TON of flavor).

Mindia's recipe is excellent, but for me personally, any of the imitation butter-like spreads are nasty as hell and I can't stand the taste of them at all, hence my giving an alternative ;)
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:27 pm

thanks triel, that sounds awesome (as does mindia's)

i think i'll try one of them tomorrow
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Narrock » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:59 pm

Yeah, I forgot about the egg. Definitely throw in a couple scrambled eggs.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:27 am

Ha, I'm happy to say that I can eat the fried rice and not feel guilty about it. I can blame my widening ass on the pregnancy, not from eating junk. Then when I pop babies out, I shrink at superhuman rates.

Chris Kattan looks like a shark attacking in Mindia's sig.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby liquidstayce » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:08 am

Yummy.. Rice fills me up too fast but these sound like good ones to try. If I do rice I use very little and brown of course is ideal.. I make sure to boost up my protein with the egg, chicken, and tofu in it since that is more critical for my specific nutritional needs due to my gastric bypass.. Another good source of protein to add in is the Edamame (soy bean) which also adds a nice nutty flavor - http://www.edamame.com/ I like that more than peas.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am

Darcler wrote:Ha, I'm happy to say that I can eat the fried rice and not feel guilty about it. I can blame my widening ass on the pregnancy, not from eating junk. Then when I pop babies out, I shrink at superhuman rates.

After a couple babies you won't shrink that fast. My first I lost 10 pounds more than I gained in the first 6 weeks after birth. Second I lost 6 more pounds than I gained. Third I gained 3 pounds. And I ate healthy, lots of salads and fresh fruits, very little garbage (if any).

You can't delude yourself that you have an excuse now or you'll develop habits that'll exist long after the birth.

Also, eat lots of spinach...it's fantastic for brain growth for the kiddo.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Insanityfair » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:18 am

Martrae wrote:
Darcler wrote:Ha, I'm happy to say that I can eat the fried rice and not feel guilty about it. I can blame my widening ass on the pregnancy, not from eating junk. Then when I pop babies out, I shrink at superhuman rates.

After a couple babies you won't shrink that fast. My first I lost 10 pounds more than I gained in the first 6 weeks after birth. Second I lost 6 more pounds than I gained. Third I gained 3 pounds. And I ate healthy, lots of salads and fresh fruits, very little garbage (if any).

You can't delude yourself that you have an excuse now or you'll develop habits that'll exist long after the birth.

Also, eat lots of spinach...it's fantastic for brain growth for the kiddo.

Do not assume that everything will be the same as the first time! My first son, no one could even tell I was pregnant till 8 or so months. The second time...well, you could tell...and it was a bit harder to lose than the first time around. Back to my old size, but I'm still trying to lose the junk food eating habit. :-x
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Re: fried rice

Postby Phlegm » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:32 pm

leah wrote:so i'm on a chinese food craving kick right now, and i've been avoiding it but i really want some fried rice. is there some way to make it that isn't terribly unhealthy?

A bowl of fried rice is not going to kill you.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:37 pm

Mindia wrote:Yes Leah, you can make it healthy. Take some cooked brown rice, add a frozen vegetable medley to it (peas & carrots), a couple boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2"-to-1" chunks, and fry it with a couple tablespoons of "Smart Balance Light" spread (which is delicious), and... Voila! Chicken Fried Rice without the oil or artery-clogging trans-fats. Flavor with Lawry's seasoned salt and garlic pepper, and just a touch of Kikkoman "light" soy sauce. It's a bit high on sodium, but just watch how much you put in it and you'll be fine.

Brown rice and fake butter is not chinese food.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:03 pm

Phlegm wrote:
Mindia wrote:Yes Leah, you can make it healthy. Take some cooked brown rice, add a frozen vegetable medley to it (peas & carrots), a couple boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into 1/2"-to-1" chunks, and fry it with a couple tablespoons of "Smart Balance Light" spread (which is delicious), and... Voila! Chicken Fried Rice without the oil or artery-clogging trans-fats. Flavor with Lawry's seasoned salt and garlic pepper, and just a touch of Kikkoman "light" soy sauce. It's a bit high on sodium, but just watch how much you put in it and you'll be fine.

Brown rice and fake butter is not chinese food.

You're right, I'm just offering a tastier and healthier alternative that is similar.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Oofdaa » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:34 pm

When I make it I use pam spray instead of oil.... couple chicken breasts and some garlic.... whatever veggies you like dump in the rice and add a couple eggs. You can try just using the whites or use eggstarts? And Kikkoman is the nastiest soy sauce ever. I usually go to the asian market and get what the have there. Also if you like it hot dump a little rooster sauce on top. As long as you eat in moderation, don't worry so much. :wink:
Oof~
Oofdaa
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum