wtfover

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

wtfover

Postby leah » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:10 pm

i constantly feel sick to my stomach.

okay, not constantly. but a lot. for no apparent reason. no matter what i eat or what i'm doing, this strong nausea will just come out of nowhere. it's been going on for months, years, who knows, but no one can quite figure out wtf to make out of it.

the top three i've heard are IBS, GERD, or gall stones.

i don't really care one way or the other wtf it is, i just want to stop feeling like i'm going to puke.

help?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Darcler » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:36 pm

Call a doctor and stop getting medical advice from computer dorks lol
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Granh » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:50 pm

A friend of mine spent years constantly sick. Turns out she was a diabetic that had allergies to wheat, beans, soy and was lactose intolerant. She kept making herself sick because she didn't know what her body couldn't take.

Go see a doc and let them figure it out. Hopefully you’re not screwed up like her.
Kitty Litter for the Mind
Granh
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Jay » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:09 pm

You're pregnant.
Jay

Postby leah » Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:23 pm

i am not pregnant. and thank you, granh... i hope i'm not screwed up either! i can't go to the doctor until august because that's when my insurance kicks in. :( that's why i turn to the dorks! ^^
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Arlos » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:13 pm

I know it'll be hard, but try going a week or so without having anything in your diet that contains gluten. Nothing with wheat, rye, oat, barley, etc. in it whatsoever. Corn & Rice is OK, nothing else grain-wise. Make sure to look really carefully at ingredients, too. Even something as innocuous as "Modified Food Starch" can contain gluten. That means no beer, too. (nor whiskey, etc. nothing that started out as a grain, period, including stuff like Mike's Hard Lemonaide)

I say that cause I have a friend with a genetic disorder called Celiac, which means he cannot tolerate anything with gluten in it, and if he did have anything, he'd get symptoms kinda like what you mention.

Basically, it's not exactly a food allergy, it's something else. Basically, when you eat food, your stomach's job is just to break it down. All the nutrients are actually absorbed in your small intestine, for the most part. What happens with someone with Celiac if they have gluten is that there's a rather strong reaction that damages the lining of the intestine, making it so you have a real problem absorbing the nutrients, and making you feel like crap. Now, the lining can repair itself, given time, but if it keeps getting damaged, it can't. Not to mention, the more it has to try, the greater the odds that something in the rebuilding phase will go haywire, and you end up with intestinal cancer, which would, obviously, be a Very Bad Thing.

More information can be found here: http://www.medicinenet.com/celiac_disease/article.htm

Anyway, I am in no way a doctor or medical professional, but it would hardly hurt you to cut gluten out of your diet for a little while to see (though it will be annoying looking at all the food labels), and if it makes you feel better, then it's worth it, right?

Definitely definitely go see a real doctor though, once your insurance kicks in.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:39 pm

Darcler wrote:Call a doctor and stop getting medical advice from computer dorks lol
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Phlegm » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:52 pm

You came to the right place Leah. As you know I am a certified NT doctor. Now let figures what is wrong with you. I need to you to take all your clothes off, take a bunch of pictures, then post them here. Once I inspect every inch of every picture, I will give you my diagnosis.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:14 am

Arlos has hit it on the head. I'd start by cutting out all wheat related items. Be aware that even things like french fries are sometimes powdered with, well it's easiest to call it flour, to keep them from sticking to each other.

My mom doesn't have celiac but she does have a severe wheat allergy (also peanuts). She's got recipes for all sorts of breads and whatnots made from rice flour. Some stores even sell specialty items for gluten-free diets.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:29 am

Buy a journal and write all the shit you eat down. Point out when it hurts the most and try and correlate a pattern.

That or go see a real doctor.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lionking » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:47 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease

A friend of mine has this and he has the diet that kick's its ass.
Lionking
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Adivina » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:04 pm

If she had Crohn's she would not just be feeling sick to her stomach. My friend's father has it, and trust me when I say that it makes him a miserable fuck, to put it as dumbed down as possible: his asshole is constantly in pain.
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:26 pm

Id have to agree about it potentially being Celiacs. Co-worker has it and that sounds very much like what her symptoms were.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Martrae » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:13 am

Update?
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:45 pm

As of yesterday we found out that she does indeed like it in the ass.
Jay

Postby The Kizzy » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:03 pm

She's prgnant, but she doesnt want to tell us!!
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:49 am

i had a buddy in high school that had crohns, went from an all star baseball and basketball player to having to quit and dropping to like 90 pounds from 150. I think it was Crohns at least :ugh:
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:24 am

don't know yet, my insurance only just kicked in today, plus if i want to go to the doctor i'll be paying out-of-pocket till i reach my deductible anyway, so i'm trying to save up a little bit before i go. *shrug* i'm poor.

it's fleeting--comes and goes with little rhyme or reason.

these cramps tying my innards in knots would contradict your pregnancy theory, miz kizzy!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Zanchief » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:25 am

Maybe it's AIDS.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:14 am

Health > Money

I'd hit someone up for a loan and go asap. When it comes to all things medical the worst thing you can do is wait.
Jay

Postby Arlos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:39 am

Leah, did you try what I suggested and go for a week-10 days without eating anything that had gluten in it?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:04 pm

no (not yet, at least) and here's why:

when i was on my low- to no-carb dieting kick, i pretty much didn't get anything with wheat gluten in it at all, and the nausea still persisted.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Darcler » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:06 pm

Are you keeping a food journal and writing down when these cramps appear in the journal also?

Innard cramps make me want to rule out gallstones and look more toward IBS...I would ask your parents or maybe Brin for a loan to go to the doctor to get checked out and just pay them back.
Dont wait :(
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Arlos » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Well, you'd be surprised at what has gluten in it, actually. It's not just breads, cookies, pasta, etc. Tons of other stuff has it in there, you need to check the labels. Even something as innocuous as "modified food starch" can mean it has gluten in it.

Still, you're right, it does lessen the chances that Celiac is your issue. Basically, you need to see a doctor, there's no 2 ways about it.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:46 pm

don't worry darc, as far as cramps go i was talking about menstrual cramps (thus negating the pregnancy theory ;))

i will, arlos, i promise. as soon as i can.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum