Running Question for Mop and anyone else.

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Running Question for Mop and anyone else.

Postby Gidan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:26 am

I need a workout to go from shit to a 7min mile ASAP (2ish months). I know its possible but just dont know the best way to get there without hurting myself. It’s only 100+ every day outside :). I have the drive to do just about anything I need to do, just don’t have personal trainers creating my workouts like I did in from HS through College. All those workouts were sport specific anyway and none of it was based on running. So any ideas would be appreciated.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Mop » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:41 am

is it for a single mile or multiple mile pace?
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gidan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:45 am

My minimum goals are
7 min mile
17 min 2 miles

If I can do it, my ultimate goal is 14min 2 mile and 8 1/2 min mile pace for 3 ot 4 miles.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Markarado » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:57 pm

Exactly how shit of shape are you in? A 7 minute mile is pretty damn easy with 2 months to prepare.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 am

out of curiousity, did it not ever strike you that to prepare for running, that maybe you should just.....you know......run?

seriously

just go out and run until you can't run any further

repeat day after day
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 am

If you need to, start the first week with a bike ride every other day, then work up to a jog.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:37 am

Going out and running until you cant run anymore might not be so smart when it’s 100+ out every day. Even at 6am is 90+. I also can not afford to hurt myself in any way. If I over do it and strain something that takes me out for a week or 2 that really doesn't help either. I was just hoping to get some advice from someone more qualified then myself. I probably should have paid more attention to what my trainers were having me do but it’s too late for that now.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Naethyn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:54 am

Find a gym. Do cardio. Mix in some free weights or low resistance training. Further it with core strength. Eat until your content five times a day. But eat low fat, high carb, high protien. It's a good feeling to feel healthy.
Maeya wrote:And then your head just aches from having your hair pulled so tight for so long...
Naethyn
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:14 am

gidan wrote:Going out and running until you cant run anymore might not be so smart when it’s 100+ out every day. Even at 6am is 90+. I also can not afford to hurt myself in any way. If I over do it and strain something that takes me out for a week or 2 that really doesn't help either. I was just hoping to get some advice from someone more qualified then myself. I probably should have paid more attention to what my trainers were having me do but it’s too late for that now.

well, do it on a treadmill then

the first thing you need to really find out is how long it takes you to run a mile now

7 min mile isn't really much faster than a fast walk
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:51 am

running isn't that great of an exercise unless you're doing it properly, and even then it's harsh on your joints. if you have one leg longer than the other you can hurt yourself. (and most people do) if you dont' have the right posture you can hurt yourself. If you don't know how to breathe you can hurt yourself. very high impact...you HAVE to do it right if you want it to be effective, just like any other form of exercise.

you would be surprised how many people exercise and get no results, because they aren't doing it correctly.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:12 am

araby wrote:running isn't that great of an exercise unless you're doing it properly, and even then it's harsh on your joints. if you have one leg longer than the other you can hurt yourself. (and most people do) if you dont' have the right posture you can hurt yourself. If you don't know how to breathe you can hurt yourself. very high impact...you HAVE to do it right if you want it to be effective, just like any other form of exercise.

you would be surprised how many people exercise and get no results, because they aren't doing it correctly.

that's fine and dandy, but if your goal is a running goal, the only way to achieve it is by running
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:39 am

I always have hated running, however the physical fitness test I need to take requires running so I don’t have much of a choice. I am not worried about hitting my goal; in general it’s not going to be difficult to reach. The major concern is not getting hurt by pushing too hard.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Diekan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:06 am

I suggest ritilan.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:37 pm

you need some energy (I wouldn't suggest ritalin) so eat some carbs (day/night before) drink lots of water. you should breathe in and use your stomach muscles to expand on the inhale, then retract on the exhale and be careful of running in areas that aren't flat or are uneven. start slow and increase mostly remember your breathing (in through nose/out through mouth) and stomach-keeping those areas tight/strong and your ribcage up so that your lungs can expand is important.

stretch also! you prolly knew all this and if so pretend that you didn't.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:39 pm

We've tried going to the track at the high school for him to run as it has a softer ground and doesnt strain his knees, but not only is it just too fucking hot out, school started this week and is no longer usable.
He's looked at a gym membership, but the ones around here are expensive and if they are having a good deal, its for alternative days, when he wants to run daily.
We dont have a bike, we dont have a treadmill.
He is (or at least, should be) sucking it up and just paying $4 a visit to the rec center in town to use the indoor track, but I'm sure he wanted a way to maximize his results without just running aimlessly and not getting good progress, which is the reason he was mostly asking mop, someone who knows what hes talking about, being a runner and all.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:53 pm

We used to walk 7 miles in just under an hour every night. So a 7 minute mile isn't much faster than walking at a good clip.

I'd mark off a mile with the car and see how long it takes you to walk it and go from there.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:15 pm

I remember when I was a runner.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 pm

I can never be a runner, hell, walking is bad enough for me. I have a degenerative condition with the cartilage in both knees, so I have constant bone-on-bone grinding, plus I have arthritis in both knees, and to top it off, there's lingering damage from a soccer injury that completely destroyed my right knee, even after major surgery was done on it. Slow walking is about my limit, and that for not that far. Ironically enough, they hold up OK to quick movement, so if I could find time & a partner, something like Raquetball would be OK, but anything with sustained vertical pressure (running, stair-climbing, biking, etc) leaves me in agony very rapidly.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gidan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:19 pm

If I had the $$ I would still have one of these wonderful things

I use to do 25K on them every day in college. Running was easy compared to that workout.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:22 pm

Ugh where would we put it? I suppose we could kick your mother out and use her room :angel:
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gidan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:23 pm

Would be a tight fit. Its longer then her bed.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:26 pm

Kicking your mother out, to me, means getting rid of all her shit. Including the god damn quilt table. So we could probably use the dining room too :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gidan » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:27 pm

It makes a nice little breeze if you’re sitting next to it on the correct side :)
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Fine with me. I'll sit between that and the fan so I coccoon myself in alittle wind tunnel.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Minrott » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:03 pm

I too have about two months to do a 15 minute 1.5 mile. I know that doesn't sound bad (And when I was in highschool, np) but I'm starting from scratch too.

What I've found is that by alternating my jogging with weight training in my legs has helped me tremendously build my endurance much faster than jogging alone. Hit the weights and hit your quads and calves. You'll notice a difference in how far you can run almost immediately (a couple weeks).
Molon Labe
Minrott
NT Deity
NT Deity

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum