Wal-Mart to sell generic drugs for $4

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Wal-Mart to sell generic drugs for $4

Postby Phlegm » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:16 am

Wal-Mart announced today a pilot program in Florida to sell about 300 generic prescription drugs for as low as $4 for a 30-day supply. The program will go nationwide in January of 2007. Estimate savings for customers range from 16% to 67%.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ginzburgh » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 am

Hey if it works and saves people money then kudos to Walmart.
Ginzburgh
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Hound » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:31 am

If it didn't cut costs in some way, Wal-Mart wouldn't be doing it to begin with. Kudos
to Wal-Mart on following their business model.

Maybe Wal-Mart will soon be able to start dictating terms to pharmaceutical manufacturers, if they
aren't already doing so.

Then Wal-Mart can start offering government services at cheaper rates than what it currently costs the taxpayer.
Might as well keep the "save the consumer money" ball rolling.
Hound
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby araby » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 pm

Insurance companies are the same in a way.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:05 pm

Some times people don't realize just how much money goes into creating a new drug. MILLIONS upon MILLIONS. Then on top of that the vast majority of newly developed drugs fail - then it's back to the drawing board.

What amazes me is how people don't have a problem with paying 100+ a month for cable, or 75+ for tickets to a football game... but ask them to pay 60 bucks for a script and they go ape shit.

I guess logic follows that it's ok for some dolt to run a football up and down the field for millions a year, but someone who busts their ass for 10 years in college to develop the tools to create something for your DIRECT benefit and health is supposed to get paid squat.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:28 pm

You know exactly why this is Diekan.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:35 pm

People don't quibble with paying 100 bucks for cable with all the trimmings, because they know that should budgetary reasons require it, they could live without it. Drugs to keep your ass alive, however, is NOT something you can live without, and when necessary components to keeping yourself alive are kept priced artificially high, people tend to get more than a little peeved...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Adivina » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:30 pm

That would be amazing for people like me that are on long term monthly medications. I take anxiety medication and even with insurance it sure as fuck is expensive, especially when you add it all up over time.
Donnel wrote:
Erodalak wrote:Who needs an education when you are hawt like advina

fixt :P
Adivina
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:22 pm

arlos wrote:People don't quibble with paying 100 bucks for cable with all the trimmings, because they know that should budgetary reasons require it, they could live without it. Drugs to keep your ass alive, however, is NOT something you can live without, and when necessary components to keeping yourself alive are kept priced artificially high, people tend to get more than a little peeved...

-Arlos

Come on man... how many times have you seen someone practically starved, but sporting 200 dollar shoes? Or, seen someone on a 300 dollar cell phone, but don't have heat or AC? I see it all the time.

People can get peeved all they want - when the drug company has to fork out several million dollars in developing the drug - THEN forking out more money to test and retest the drug before it goes before the FDA - they deserve to make that money back.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Minrott » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:07 am

Then make good drugs. That work the first time. And that actually solve a persistant, real need in the medical world, rather than something just designed to 'cure' whatever the trendy ailment of the period is.

No other manufacturing industry has the market pull (my doctor said I need this!) that drug companies do. They however do share the same R & D costs. Cry me a river.
Molon Labe
Minrott
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:18 am

Oh I see... so it's ok for you to gouge the shit of some company by charging them union wages (30+ an hour) to apply YOUR skill, but a research scientist isn't supposed to make jack shit? Yeah, THAT'S some good logic.

If you even had the slightest clue of what goes into making a drug, which you obviously don't.

If you think that making a drug is just a matter of whipping together a few things and having it work the first time - you're dead, 100% wrong. Try again.

If the American people weren't so fucking stupid their monthly drug costs would be minimal. The problem IS stupidity and lack of education. You're right... people don't need half the drugs they think they do, but they demand them regardless. You can't fault the drug company for your neighbor being a fucking retard.

It all boils down to the average American = fucking morons. Which the VAST majority are.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:16 pm

Diekan wrote:Come on man... how many times have you seen someone practically starved, but sporting 200 dollar shoes? Or, seen someone on a 300 dollar cell phone, but don't have heat or AC? I see it all the time.

You can buy some things and they stay through good times and bad.

I was personally wearing custom tailored suits with less than $200 available in the bank, however I needed to maintain my image for business purposes.

I easily live without my furnace going in the wintertime & AC in the summer as well. Its a waste of money that satisfies an immediate comfort need, when given a couple minutes of thought, an hour of work, and some planning, you can survive without them easily.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Minrott » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:32 pm

Oh I see... so it's ok for you to gouge the shit of some company by charging them union wages (30+ an hour) to apply YOUR skill, but a research geologist isn't supposed to make jack shit? Yeah, THAT'S some good logic.

If you even had the slightest clue of what goes into finding a new oil well, which you obviously don't.

If you think that bringing oil out of the ground is just a matter of whipping together a few things and having it work the first time - you're dead, 100% wrong. Try again.

Something else people depend on and companies make exorbanent profits selling.
Molon Labe
Minrott
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:44 am

I think it’s safe to say that everyone on this board knows how much I hate big corporations. But, even I, yes I, can see the difference between big oil and big drug.

They are NOT one in the same no matter how you try to line them up.

Do you know where the bulk a drug company’s profit comes from? No, it’s not the “life or deathâ€
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:51 pm

I didn't read your rant, but then I decided I didn't care either.

I feel like a dickhead today.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:17 pm

yah, between you and Jay I don't know who's going to win.

I'M ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Diekan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:49 pm

And before someone says it... yes I KNOW there are people that find themselves in situations beyond their control, in which they need expensive medications due to no fault of their own.

However, keep in mind that if the majority of this country actually had the brains to take care of themselves - the cost of health insurance across the board wouldn't be through the roof. Meaning, that WE wouldn't have to pay higher insurance for fat_ass_01's heart failure, chain_smoker_02's heart disease, drug_user_03's over dose... our costs wouldn't be as high - AND the insurance companies wouldn't be forced to pay out billions a year. In the end - if people took care of themselves - those who have a LEGIT need for these life saving medications we're talking about wouldn't have to pay so much.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:53 am

araby wrote:yah, between you and Jay I don't know who's going to win.

I'M ON THE EDGE OF MY SEAT

/yawn

It will be a two-way tie for last place.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:43 am

Yeah sorry. I'll try harder to be cool like Mindia and tell people about what happened in Church today.
Jay

Postby Minrott » Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:22 am

lol. You're just blind in your arrogance that your precocious scientists are somehow more valuable than the also highly educated and skilled people it takes big oil or any other producer of goods to tool up and get their stuff on the market. They're not. The comparison is valid.

And puhlease stop giving me the whiny bullshit about how x scientist deserves y compensation. They're never going to be the one to profit from inflated drug prices and you know it. No matter what they do, or what the companies charge, only 1 type of person is going to be rewarded for it, the kind that sits in a suit and has no actual abilities or skills that led to the development of anything, other than convincing shareholders to buy their stock.
Molon Labe
Minrott
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Diekan » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:07 am

Where did I say the oil workers didn't deserve to get paid as much... gee funny... I didn't.

Actually they [those scientists] will get to profit from it. Chances are they're going to have a huge chunk of X-drug co's stock in their portfolio.

The comparison is still invalid.

As for the wages... you're a union worker, so it's pointless to argue the merits of X white collar type deserving anything. Nothing wrong with unions - I was in 3 over the course my work history - but I know all to well what the mindset is.

You all go through a 4 or 5 year app-ship and demand ass loads of money per hour - and sky high benefits... yet someone who spends 10+ in college to earn a PhD doesn't deserve shit - cause thems aint no werkin mans man.
Last edited by Diekan on Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:11 am

Jay wrote:Yeah sorry. I'll try harder to be cool like Mindia and tell people about what happened in Church today.

QFT
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum