Hey Mop got a question.

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Hey Mop got a question.

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:54 pm

Ok I have a few injuries, but im thinking about getting into some type of an exercise regiment. Nothing to time constraining due to lack of time. But I need to get back into a better shape...flat prefered...round not ok.

one pins in the right knee so any type of running is pretty much out of the question. Trust me I can predict the weather better the the local news.

two due to a ruptured Appendix (was ruptured when 7 days out from land, they took parts out of me I did not know I had) and a 12 inch scar that adhered to the abdominal wall Crunches are extremely difficult and painful.

I am at present looking for a hamster wheel err tread mill since I can do some walking. but I am not sure this is the right course.

I would like to just back into a little bit better shape then I am right now. I went from 6pack abs when I was in the service to a six pack of beer after all the injuries pretty much left me doa. I have cut out most of the drinking so the beer calories are gone(there was alot, 12 ounce curls dont help I tried).

I am looking for an excercise regimen that will be easy on these old and injured bones, but would atleast leave me with a bit more energy and feeling better.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:08 pm

swimming rules if you've got bad knees/ankles
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Xaiveir » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm

Tikker wrote:swimming rules if you've got bad knees/ankles

Swimming and an excercise bike would be great. You may want to check into yoga also.

I broke my leg and have pins and a plate in it, 3 surgeries so i can deffinatly understand not being able to run. Swimming is what has helped me the most. I have had a myriad of injuries as well, i would list them but you can only max out 75 goats per post. I would have to have no less than 1k goat points to type all of the injuries out. :rofl:
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:16 pm

yeah good idea...Ill look into joining the YMCA around here just for that reason. was just curious if there was any other excercies as well
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:23 pm

I'm actually curious as well. I don't have pins in my knee, but I've got some major health issues hampering exercise as well, and would love a good way to get into better shape without causing my knees undue stress.

I've got a degenerative condition in both knees that means the cartilage is effectively the consistency of jell-O, and thus doesn't cushion worth a damn, plus I've got at least the bgeinnings of arhtritis in both knees as well. Plus, I completely destroyed my right knee playing soccer when I was younger.

I mean destroyed to the point where Iw as in an immobilizing brace for 6+ months, and despite surgery where they physically removed the kneecap to clean off deposits and get at scar tissue they needed to remove, followed by re-routing of muscles and connective tissue in the knee to hold the kneecap in place better, it still hurts 24x7, and is very sensitive to flare-ups where walking even a couple blocks is almost more than it can take before it completely stops supporting any weight.

I don't know of any indoor pools around here, so swimming at this point is right out too, unfortunately.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:35 pm

kaharthemad wrote:yeah good idea...Ill look into joining the YMCA around here just for that reason. was just curious if there was any other excercies as well

it's really hard to find cardio/resistance training that's not hard on the knees

walking, biking are probably next best, but with swimming, you get basically a full body workout, and if you're lucky there's hot life guards

ps, when my gf was pregnant, we did aquasize (aerobics in the pool)
mostly you'll see a ton of older, thicker women, but it's actually a pretty good workout if you go hard
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Menlaan » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:46 pm

I like the elliptical trainer, and it's good for knees (although I don't have any of the issues mentioned above). I'm sure it's not as good as swimming, but I find it more convenient b/c there isn't a pool at the gym I belong to.
Menlaan
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Mop » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:09 pm

Swimming is great, along with bikes, recumbant more than likely depending on how bad your knees are. Elipticals can be good but at times they have problems with knees and ankles due to a forced plane of motion. Swimming is one of the best things you can do for your entire body. I might even suggest doing heavy bag boxing - same premise.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Yeah, I can't ride a bike too long, for the same reason as walking, it's constant repetitive vertical compression on the knees. It's not as bad as, say, stair-climbing, but it's similar enough that I don't last long at it. I haven't tried a recumbent, though, are those better on the knees? (and do they make recumbent-style stationary bikes?)

Once it gets warm again, i can use the pool at SJSU, I suppose, but there's no indoor pools aroudn that I'm aware of, not without paying $$$ to join a gym.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:50 pm

arlos wrote:do they make recumbent-style stationary bikes?)

Yes.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:52 pm

I will have to look into trying one of those and see how it is, and maybe see if I can afford to get one if I can use it for even half an hour without my knee giving way.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Phlegm » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:34 pm

Xaiveir wrote:
I broke my leg and have pins and a plate in it.

Hey X, does airport security gives you a deep cavity search each time you fly?
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:37 pm

Kahar gets those.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 pm

Yeah, but he just does it for fun on boring thursdays. Phlegm's talking about actual air travel occurances....

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:21 pm

This is for you

:arlos:
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Insanityfair » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm

Tikker wrote:walking, biking are probably next best, but with swimming, you get basically a full body workout, and if you're lucky there's hot life guards

ps, when my gf was pregnant, we did aquasize (aerobics in the pool)
mostly you'll see a ton of older, thicker women, but it's actually a pretty good workout if you go hard

Totally true about the aqua aerobics. I taught it for a short while at the Y and I'm sure it's as good now as it was then.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Xaiveir » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Phlegm wrote:
Xaiveir wrote:
I broke my leg and have pins and a plate in it.

Hey X, does airport security gives you a deep cavity search each time you fly?

OH dont i wish! :gaymeter:

Actually got put on the terrorist watch list for a year!
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby KaiineTN » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:19 pm

KaiineTN
NT Patron
NT Patron

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum