runner's knee

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

runner's knee

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:43 pm

i got a pain on the outside of my knees (both) kinda near where the fibula connects to the knee

according to the internet this is runners knee

have any of you guys ever had this before??? it fucking sucks and hurts like hell and i cant deadlift or squat now and it's been around 2 weeks. luckily my bjj academy has been closed this week so ive been resting but it opens back up on tuesday and i gotta go

if you got any tips help plzzzzzzzzzzz

ty
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:47 pm

I have that too. Start taking glucosamine and it will get better.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Mop » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:08 pm

Hercules, can you run for a bit before it starts to hurt? if so it is an IT band pull and is a bitch to fix, if it is truely runners knee - get a brace that lines the outside of the knees to keep the patella from sliding side to side.

If it is IT band it takes rest and stretching the outside of the IT band a couple times a day.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:28 pm

yeah it sounds more like IT band pull

i can run/sprint just fine without pain then the next morning i can barely walk. it hurts the most when i'm squatting down on my toes or when i'm on my knees and i kinda sit back

do they take a long time to heal ? last thing i need right now is another chronic injury (just developed chostochondritis)

i been taking glucosamine for months now too ~_~
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:09 pm

Tip:

Stop being a pussy.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:36 pm

nigga plz

your ugly ass would be crying after 5 min with me

in fact i dont even know why you're in this sub forum, this is for people who exercise willingly, not cus theyre too stupid to not be able to get a non-labor job
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:41 pm

I exercise fairly regularly, actually. Weights in my bedroom and I was running every other day when it wasn't 30 degrees out.

This has nothing to do with you being a pussy, however.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:44 pm

yeah dawg i got injured after doing bjj 6 days in a row and max effort deadlifts on day 7, i must be a pussy

oh wait you're just white trash on the internet that doesn't know anything, my bad
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Harrison » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:52 pm

So let's get this straight.

You did more than you could handle?

That sounds about right.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:55 pm

pft

an embarrassing slob like you couldn't handle 2 days in a row of what i do

edit: added embarrassing, cus that's what you're doing to yourself
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:02 pm

and yeah mop i went to urgent care earlier and it was an IT band strain on both legs

loaded me up with NSAID's and ice packs, gotta take it easy for the next month =| and i have a tournament mid jan. that i prolly wont be able to train as hard for now :(
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Rotj » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:36 pm

stretch out those glutes. it can help ease the tension with the insertion of the glute muscle located across there.
Rotj
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Dimuza » Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:49 pm

runners knee? I've got 'fat guy ass'. I bet you'll beat me in a race

:google:
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:19 am

You can stretch it out, I dont remeber the exact stretches they were kinda complicated, do a google search for em, they worked like a charm I was out of running for 2 months til I started stretching my it band multipule times a day
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Phlegm » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:10 pm

Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tae-Bo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:12 am

update: got two pattstraps http://www.pattstrap.com

currently icing knees after all activity, heavy stretching, massive doses of omega 3's (lots of ALA from walnuts, milled flax seed, flameout http://www.t-nation.com)

seems to be getting better, still hurts after physical activity, kinda hesitant to go all out in BJJ. haven't done any lifting since i started feeling pain other than weighted dips and pullups.

i've been messing around with heavy omega 3 supplementation tho for about a month now. the changes in my mood/mindset have been really noticeable, i'll prolly be using them heavily for awhile because i really like how they feel.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tae-Bo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:20 am

oh yeah

i think i get this because either 1. my quads are pretty out of whack compared to my hamstrings. my hamstrings are way stronger than the quads and that is causing an imbalance somewhere. gonna start focusing on front squats once i get better and less on deadlifts for awhile.

or 2.....

kinda imbalanced gait when i run. my shoes tend to wear out on the outside so im thinking i got some weird tightness in my legs somewhere. gonna really try and focus on how i walk/running form for awhile and hopefully i get used to it. or try some orthotics for awhile or something.

does this stuff sounds logical or am i just speculating wildly?
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Dimuza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:17 am

D. Duck wrote:i've been messing around with heavy omega 3 supplementation tho for about a month now. the changes in my mood/mindset have been really noticeable, i'll prolly be using them heavily for awhile because i really like how they feel.

I'm curious about this statement....how is it effecting your mood/state of mind? Just a question from the unhealthy to the healthy :)
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tae-Bo » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:01 am

feeling sharper/better memory/thinking quicker

no "fuzz" if i didnt get much sleep the night before

it's nootropic-like if you're familiar with those. most potent ive ever felt from anything (have taken dmae, 5-htp, piracetam, few others).

there's also tons of studies showing that it can help with fat loss/cardiovascular problems/anti-inflamation. when i went to a doctor for the IT bands my blood pressure was the lowest it's ever been (hyper-tension runs in my family). i also dont put on any fat at all and i eat like a fucking slob pretty much (all healthy foods just a shit ton of it). i'm also working out like crazy so that's prolly most of the reason why.

and hopefully it's helping with the IT band inflammation. inflammation problems run in my family so im trying everything i can to stop them from happening to me.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omega_3

i think these are the best supplement any person could ever take
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Dimuza » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:58 am

Thanks, for the info. You guys are forcing me to reconsider my vow to remain excercise-free :(
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:43 pm

Duck a IT band pull is usualy related to a gait when running - if you wear your shoes to the outside makesure to start doing more resistant stretching on hamstrings and hips have someone help you, PNF stretching is great for this. I would also suggest going to a Running specific store to get fitted for shoes as this helps a lot - it added probaly 6 - 8 months to the time frame I could actualy run.

sorry for typos 11 hour work day kinda tired
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Zormito » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:52 pm

Duck do you run with a partner? I've gotten that IT band pull twice in about 6 years of running (stopped running and hiking for two months then got back into the swing of things) and both times occurred after I started running with a partner who was a bit slower than myself. I guess the extra stress of running slower at unnatural pace did it in for me. No more partners!
Zormito
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby leah » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:36 pm

here's a running shoe question . . . i am just starting out with this whole running business, and i took all the advice about getting fitted for running shoes and ended up with a pair of brooks adrenaline GTS 6s. they're really nice and all, but i was kind of surprised because when i read about them online it said they're for the correction of pronation (which is putting weight on the inside of your feet, right?) when i always thought my problem was supination--weight on the outside. no problems so far, so maybe i'm just crazy. thoughts?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Mop » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:47 pm

well its less about where your weight sits on your foot as that can be a problem due to bone structure. It's more about making your feet line up with your ankles upon impact so that they line the knee up properly then through the hip and lower back.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum