Blood Pressure etc etc etc

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Blood Pressure etc etc etc

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:12 pm

I'm consistently at 155ish over 105ish w/a pulse of 85-95, I need ideas aside from going to the doctor.

I'm in the process of quitting smoking.
I drink water more often than anything else these days (maybe 5 drinks total in any given week).

I try to eat healthy, nothing preprocessed... if it comes with an expiration date and it isn't a dairy product, chances are, I won't eat it.

Any other ideas?

I am worried because it is hereditary and I'm still young...

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Martrae » Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:48 pm

Cut out the salt.

Salt will raise it like nobody's business.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:21 am

try the salt but i gotta tell you if your BP is up due to genetics, there isnt a whole lot you can do without going to a Dr. I have this problem. cut out everything and was stilll about in the same range as you.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tae-Bo » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:21 am

Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Insanityfair » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:38 pm

Less red meat, if you eat any of that. Fish, tuna etc. are supposed to be better. Cut out fast food, if you eat any at all.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:44 pm

Insanityfair wrote:Less red meat, if you eat any of that. Fish, tuna etc. are supposed to be better. Cut out fast food, if you eat any at all.

Well the less red meat thing goes hand in hand with the salt.. pork and beef are just high sodium meats in general, but yeah.. sodium is the main thing I can think of, too :( genetics suck.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Insanityfair » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:
Insanityfair wrote:Less red meat, if you eat any of that. Fish, tuna etc. are supposed to be better. Cut out fast food, if you eat any at all.

Well the less red meat thing goes hand in hand with the salt.. pork and beef are just high sodium meats in general, but yeah.. sodium is the main thing I can think of, too :( genetics suck.

Fat content is higher too generally, no?

I just did a paper on soy and diet the other day and a boca burger v. a ground beef patty of close to the same weight was 5g v. 17.5g fat, calories were higher 140g to 245ish...site didn't have sodium content for the ground beef, but a boca burger was 500mg sodium to one patty. Found that interesting.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:07 pm

Yeah, I think thats what a lot of people don't really take into account - you start going toward the lower fat diets and the lower calorie diets and they have to get the flavor in there somehow so you start to see things like sodium go up. Now I doubt that beef would be any better in sodium, but the thing is that people have been convinced that it's healthier to go one way but in all reality it's just a different standard of bad for you.

500mg of sodium for a veggie burger is a lot.. I mean you have to think, that's just about as much sodium as like a lean cuisine or healthy choice frozen meal, in some cases it's more - tv dinners are obviously never healthy so it makes you think >.<

It's the same as salads and stuff.. like it cracks me up, I'll go out to lunch with my dad and he's.. well, he's a big guy, and he's always into the latest diet crazes that never work, and he's convinced that going out and having a salad is better than sitting and having a lean cut of steak, baked potato, and vegetable. Ideally sure, that's lower in calories and fat if you get the salad.. but then he goes and pours globs of ranch all over it completely throwing out that theory and never thinking about it because hey, it's a salad. Even the fat free salad dressings often have astronomical sodium levels, unless you stick to a balsamic you might as well throw the whole idea out the window of a healthy salad if you're having it swim in dressing.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:18 pm

as an update, bloodpressure is slowly dropping.

Down to 140 over 100 today after lunch. I'm down to 5 cigarettes a day on average now, trying to quit entirely, but need to pick up some bulk gum for that.

I'm eating healthy, I've started cooking every meal I eat rather than going out for breakfast/lunch.
I might overdo the pepper, but I don't use much salt at all.

I have also been losing weight, down 3 lbs in 2 weeks.

I'm happy.

Tomorrow night: I am going to try pan seared tuna steaks with a cumin/pepper rub with asparagus in a lemon butter sauce on a bed of rice.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:52 pm

It helps if you only make shit cigarettes available to you. When I quit the last thing I smoked was GPC menthol ultra lights.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:09 pm

I've been putting them in my truck while I am not driving and putting them in the bed of my truck while driving.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Evermore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:50 am

10sun wrote:I've been putting them in my truck while I am not driving and putting them in the bed of my truck while driving.

oral fixation?
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:42 am

yeah, thats about the hardest part with smoking for me ><

Chewing gum helps, but I go through it really really quick.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby araby » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:01 pm

GUYS ><

what is wrong with me? what *is* it about me that just doesn't listen??!

I started a new job today. he asked me not to smoke, if I smoke, before I come in for work. I did and had one and then had one at lunch too ><

I did a good job of taking care of the smell (I think-noone said anything) but I can't do it again! Now I've opened the doors and broke the rule twice on the first day! Like on the first day of high school I got detention. Why am I so stubborn and spiteful? or is it the weakness to the addiction? I really do *give a shit* about the man's rule, because I respect him and understand the rule. WHY DO I BREAK IT. (so mad.)
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:11 pm

araby wrote:GUYS ><

what is wrong with me? what *is* it about me that just doesn't listen??!

I started a new job today. he asked me not to smoke, if I smoke, before I come in for work. I did and had one and then had one at lunch too ><

I did a good job of taking care of the smell (I think-noone said anything) but I can't do it again! Now I've opened the doors and broke the rule twice on the first day! Like on the first day of high school I got detention. Why am I so stubborn and spiteful? or is it the weakness to the addiction? I really do *give a shit* about the man's rule, because I respect him and understand the rule. WHY DO I BREAK IT. (so mad.)

Addiction is a bitch. You should smoke before you shower before work and try to just fast on cigs for the next 8 hours. It's really not that bad if you occupy yourself. As far as lunch goes, I think smokers mentally condition themselves to finish lunch within a certain amount of time to make room for smoke time. I know when I take a half hour I can finish ordering and eating in 15 minutes because my mind has trained me that the last 15 min is smoke time. I try my best to take my sweet time eating but when I finish and have like 10 min left it's hard not to think about a cigarette. Usually when I get hit with a smoking crave I'll put play games on my cell phone till the break's over.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:50 pm

good idea jay. thanks.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum