I'm a horrible swimmer and I never knew it

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

I'm a horrible swimmer and I never knew it

Postby vonkaar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Hi

I've always known that I wasn't the STRONGEST swimmer... meaning, I wasn't a very fast swimmer, or anything like that... but I could easily get from point A to point B, np. If it was over a long distance, like, across a lake or something, I'd go backstroke. But now I'm getting serious about getting back into he-man shape for the wedding(14 months away), so I'm working out like mad. The planned routine is... 6 times a week, workout for 90 minutes (first 30 cardio), then 15 minutes in the lap pool, 10 minutes in steam sauna, 10 minutes in dry sauna... go home, eat protein. Outside of the swimming (which just started last night) it's been very effective. I go home feeling incredibly refreshed and my energy level has gone through the roof.

The problem is... I JUST started in with the swimming. Holy crap, I've either gotten really old, or my technique has always sucked... or... I have no idea. My endurance SHOULDN'T be a problem, I run for 30 minutes on the treadmill or iso-machine and it's no problem. However, in the fucking lap pool last night, I swear to Xenu, I couldn't make 1 lap before I was panting like a $5 Korean hooker. I switch to backstroke and I did 2 laps before I felt like dying. Granted, this was at the END of a VERY hard workout (arms/shoulders) but, my arms weren't feeling especially fatigued... it was all lungs/legs/abs... just... general "holy shit, I'm wasted."

I'm turning 28 on the 25th... I probably haven't REALLY pushed myself in the pool in 5 years. Sure, I've spent a lot of time at the lake/ocean or whatever else... but... nothing that really required 'good' swimming technique. Have I totally lost it? What the fuck is wrong with me? AM I OLD BEFORE MY TIME??? What can I do to get this back? I'm sure the obvious answer is, 'swim more'... but... I think this is more to anyone who has experienced what I'm going through right now. I feel that I'm in good shape... I have decent endurance... but what the hell is happening to me when I get in the water? HELP ME

thx
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Tacks » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:03 pm

I'll send IF to this thread. She is a super good swimmer and a part-time instructor.
Tacks
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Insanityfair » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm assuming you do freestyle before switching to backstroke? If so, why? It's usually a breath control issue, people who don't have proper breath control technique generally seem to get worn out faster. That and building the number of laps gradually that you do every time you're in there. I had someone who was training for a triathalon say the same thing you're saying. She could run and bike endlessly, np but had the shittiest side breath I ever saw.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby vonkaar » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:10 pm

I can almost guarantee that I have horrible "breath control technique." Is this something that can be taught via the internet? =p
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:23 pm

Vonk, if you want a relaxed stroke for long distance swimming, side stroke is better than backstroke.

As for your current problems, yeah, if you're not getting good breaths as you do the crawl, you're gonna tire yourself out real quick. Also, how efficeint your strokes are is going to make a huge difference in how fast you tire yourself out. If you're doing big exaggerated arm swings and leg thrashing, you're gonna get worn out way faster than if you're using a more efficent compact motion, etc. Watch how competitive swimmers do it, if you want to see the right form.

More than that, or specifics of how, I'll leave to IF, as it's been a large number of years since I was serious about swimming.

-Arlos
Last edited by Arlos on Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Insanityfair » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:24 pm

Turn your chin to your shoulder as your arm is coming out of the water, start to turn your head back in as your arm is coming up behind your ear approaching the water, but turn your face back in, chin to chest position, tucked down. I always tell my kids chin to shoulder, chin to chest.

Make sure that when you are taking your breath that your ear/side of your face is in the water, and that when your face is in the water you're looking towards the bottom, not having your eyes at water level looking foward all the time, cept when you get close enough to the wall to turn...but I'm assuming you don't flip to turn, so that's not really an issue.

Try breathing always to one wall. Ex: breathe with your right arm going down, other arm otw back so you're always breathing the same way. And for awhile try breathing every time that arm goes around. (otw down breathe with right arm, every time the right arm goes around, etc. so for example, left arm (face in) then right arm (breathe) left arm (face in) right arm (breathe))

Or even simpler, can try the breathing (chin to shoulder, chin to chest) to practice with just kicking, using a kickboard, then add arms in later after you're comfortable with that. And do laps, lots of laps.
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:09 pm

When you do your regular cardio you should do it w/ someone, and I don't mean sex you perv - just so you have someone to talk to the entire time; it will help you with breathing during swimming.
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:54 am

Maybe you jumped into the pool weird and slightly knocked the wind out of yourself slightly enough not to notice it a huge amount yet still suffer the result. I'm not really an expert on this matter.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby vonkaar » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:56 am

I walked into the pool by way of the steps, it's a lap pool =p.

Update... It's a little better now, I'm making a concious effort to breathe properly. I think that it was a combination of time and age. Meaning, I'm older, so I'm just not able to do the shit I could do when I was 15... and, so much time has passed since I ever swam laps that I forgot why breathing was necessary. Oddly enough, when I simply 'stopped' breathing, I swam better than the first trip. That sort of proved it to me that I was breathing TOTALLY incorrectly... all over the place. I've got a LOT of catching up to do. Even still, the workouts have been awesome. If I can throw in some laps to the end of them, I'll be in wedding-dress shape np.
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Xaiveir » Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:40 am

Its simply because of the pressure of the water on your chest. If your body is not used to it, it can cause you to fatigue quicker. If you breathe the same in the water, as out of the water, the added pressure of the water around you will cause your lungs to not fill with as much air. Leaving your muscles not getting enough oxygen.

While in the pool, make a concerted effort to fill your lungs completly with air. That is your only problem, as you do it more, your body will adjust by itself.
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum