rrrrrunning

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

rrrrrunning

Postby leah » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:37 am

OK so i'm a complete running noob, so allow me to first apologize if this post isn't exciting to anyone else. ^_^

i decided as my new year's resolution that i was going to train for and run a 5k. the race i'm shooting for is on march 31st, which is very, very soon hehe . . .

so when i started training, i began with one minute run, one minute walk intervals, and it nearly killed me.

TODAY i went the full 3.1 miles. very slowly (and i mean s l o w l y), sure, but it's my personal best and it can only continue to get better. i'm really proud of myself! :boots:

but i'm soooo nervous about the run on the 31st . . . i'm even having nightmares about it hehe . . . anyhoo, just wanted to share because i'm really proud of myself.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Xaiveir » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:40 am

Congrats Leah, hope you do well :wink:
Why fight it, i am a Man Whore!
Xaiveir
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Maeya » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:00 am

Grats! It's inspiring to see people work towards a goal and finally achieve it. Please let us know about the 5k after you run it.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:09 am

i will . . . man i am seriously so scared. i haven't done any running outside yet because it's been stupidly snowy around here; all my work the past couple months has been at the ass-crack of dawn on a treadmill at my gym. i set the incline to 1.5, though, in hopes of getting as close to simulating flat outdoor running as possible, but i know there'll be a difference. my current plan is to continue as i have been, doing my treadmill runs each morning, until a week or two before the race (so, probably next week) at which point i will switch to running in the afternoons so i can go to the course and get acclimated with both the course and running outdoors before the actual race day.

this is a really big deal to me--it's the first time i've truly challenged myself physically and it's going to be hard!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Insanityfair » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:20 am

Congrats, you'll do awesome!
Insanityfair
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Maeya » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:16 pm

How did this go, Leah?
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:57 pm

problematic. i didn't get to run in the race because of some training issues--namely, every time i run for longer than 15 or 20 minutes, my right foot (an upwards toward my leg) goes numb and then hurts for about half a day after.

this is also tacked on to the "reasons i am going to the doctor" list. /sigh

i went to the race anyway to volunteer my services (clipping chips at the finish line, etc.) and to support people i knew who were running. i'm scheduling a doctor appointment sometime this week or the next, and hopefully i'll get my situation hammered out in time to run the next one in june.

pretty disappointing outcome, though. :\
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Maeya » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:09 pm

Sorry to hear that, Leah. :( Maybe the solution is something as simple as you're not wearing shoes that fit properly. There's stores that will watch how you walk and land on your feet, and get you shoes that will support you in areas that you need it, and will somehow correct your stride. For example if you tend to land towards the outside of your foot, they'll put some extra stuffing in to help your foot roll to land correctly or something. I don't know the specifics of it, never having been, but when Ugz was considering getting back into running, he was always hesitant because his knees hurt him so bad from old soccer injuries. One of his coworkers had a similar issue with pain, and told him that getting fit for the correct shoes made a world of difference. We never went through with having them watch him walk/run to watch his stride, so I can't tell you first (or second) hand if it will work for you, but wearing the correct shoes can't hurt anything.

I know money's a little tight right now, but that could be an alternative to consider.

This site talks a little bit about how different feet types and gaits can be properly supported with different shoes.

This site gives some advice on how to buy running shoes, and covers some of what the first site talked about with foot types.

I'm not having any luck with various key words in Google to find stores that will specifically measure your gait while you run, but try calling shoe stores in the area to see if such a service is offered.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:29 pm

the sucky thing is that i did get fitted for shoes. i went to a local running store, they watched how i walked and measured my feet, and hooked me up with a $95 pair of shoes. :\
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Maeya » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:37 pm

That does suck =( Bummer. I hope the doctor finds something and is able to help!
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:11 pm

What are you using to hydrate yourself? Are you drinking a ton of water? Too much water can cramp you up.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:22 pm

i don't generally drink tons of water before running, no. i drink a lot of water throughout the day, but generally when i run, it's in the morning so i don't have time to drink craptons of water beforehand.

i really hope it's something as simple as getting a different pair of shoes (although i will be grumpy about the first pair not working out!)
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:23 pm

My track shoes were awesome.

They specifically addressed my right foot leaning inward.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:29 pm

I have Nikes although I hear that Asics are the best cross trainer around.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tae-Bo » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:30 pm

are you generally pretty flexibile?

i used to have lots of knee/hip problems from running until i started working hard on my hamstring/hip flexibility

if you see a sports doctor for any reason ask them if they see any kind of postural problems like pelvic tilt or lordosis or anything like that, they'll give you exercises and stretches to get you into proper alignment
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby leah » Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:03 pm

i am not very flexible at all
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Jennay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:32 pm

I had Asics when I ran track and they were super comfy
Jennay
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:15 pm

real athletes wear Chuck Taylors
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:01 pm

real athletes wear no shoes.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Markarado » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:14 pm

If your running for the sake of exercise then I highly recommend to STOP and start bicycling. Running is terrible for your knee's if your form isn't perfect.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tossica » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:39 am

I never understood running. If you have a destination, sure, sounds like a great idea. "I'm gonna run down to the liquor store". Running for the sake of running seems pointless.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:18 am

my bike got stolen last summer :(
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Darcler » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:35 am

Nigga stole your bike?
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby leah » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:38 am

potentially?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Thon » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:05 am

statistically probable
Lyion wrote:Unfortunately, Arabs are notorious cowards and these are people who are easily knuckled under.
Thon
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum