Big Girl Bed

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Big Girl Bed

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:07 pm

Oh crap I need help.
A few days ago, I heard Hailey clucking or whatever in her room. I went to go tell her to stay quiet and go to sleep only to find her perched on top of the dresser talking to JJ. I put her back in bed. Not 10 minutes later she was back up there. I told Matt, we decided it was time for a toddler bed. Better her fall out a foot than 3.
So I get the bed and set it up on Monday. Apparently I set it up facing the wrong way, which I should have thought about, and she wanted to sleep at the foot of the bed. Fine. At least she said she wanted to sleep.
So Monday night, I give her a bath and put her down for bed. I tell her she needs to stay in bed all night long and go to sleep. 30 or so min later I bring JJ in for bed. Hailey is of course already up and walking around the room. I put him in the crib and put her back down in bed. Turn the lights off and close the door some. Every time I closed the door or walked out of the doorway, she was up. I was going in every 5 min to tell her to lay down.
I layed on the floor by her bed to keep her from getting up..I took a nap there but she stayed awake. I rubbed her head and temple to get her to sleep. Nope. It finally turned 1 and I had to go to bed. I closed the door and went to sleep. No idea if she ever did.

Tuesday, the day care teacher said she didnt take a nap that day. She's overly tired and whining at everything I do. Cries when I put chicken nuggets in the microwave etc.
That night I'm still overly tired as well so I bribe her with candy if she sleeps. I stayed on the floor by her bed and she finally fell asleep for what I assume was all night. She got her candy.

All that rambling for this question. Parents, how did you get your child to sleep in their own beds? I'm pretty sure she slept last night because she was too tired, not because she understood that she needed to stay in bed. I just cant run on so few hours of sleep a night if Hailey doesnt get this bed thing down soon.,....Help.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Jay » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Sleep and cuddle with her until she falls asleep. Then sneak out when she's asleep and she will wake up alone the next morning and eventually she'll learn to go to sleep on her own too as a result of that. She needs to feel comfortable with sleeping, not just do it because you told her to.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:25 pm

Jay's pretty much hit it on the head. It's a big change for a little girl and it's gonna take her a little bit to get used to it.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:10 pm

I used to have the kids just lay with me on the couch until they fell asleep, then I put them in their bed.

That worked out rather well too. Putting them to bed almost always resulted in a headache for hours worth of telling them to get back in bed.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:39 pm

I cant pick her up once she's been asleep. She's kind of a light sleeper.

Gid's already told me that he'd lay with her for awhile a night since he cant be more sneaky when he gets up. He's like a ninja.

She's staying 2 nights at Grandmas house this week so I'll lay with her when she gets back and see if I can sneaky sneak out.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Martrae » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:51 pm

Well, you'll either learn to sneak better or be in her room all night putting her back to bed. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:25 pm

Wanted to add that her bed is like 3 feet long and is a sleigh bed so it's not like I can comfortably hang my legs off...
We'll see when she gets back. Going to enjy my couple nights rest while I can.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tikker » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:06 am

one day, Alex just decided that he wasn't going to get into his crib, and the big boy bed was his

that was pretty much it

from day 1 when he got into the real bed, he's stayed there

he used to be a bear to wake up in the mornings, but now when he springs out of bed (he actually jumps out like he's launched from a cannon) he runs into our room and announces "Me wakeup, now you wakeup"
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:05 pm

Tikker wrote:one day, Alex just decided that he wasn't going to get into his crib, and the big boy bed was his

that was pretty much it

from day 1 when he got into the real bed, he's stayed there

he used to be a bear to wake up in the mornings, but now when he springs out of bed (he actually jumps out like he's launched from a cannon) he runs into our room and announces "Me wakeup, now you wakeup"

......I hate you :(

Today I laid in her bed with her. She kicked my ribs telling me I wasnt allowed to. She finally fell half asleep around 10:30 (bedtime is a little before 9) and my legs and arm were asleep so when I got out of her bed I tripped on my own foot and knocked the dresser, waking her back up. I sat on the floor by her the last 30 minutes. I think she's asleep. We'll see in a few minutes.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tikker » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:51 pm

my kid wtfpwns your kid
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:53 am

You have to stay with a set schedule. Always the same bedtime every night. My son goes to bed at 8:30 because he wakes up so early no matter what. I know you said she goes to day care, but obviously she isn't doing enough there. Got to keep them mentally AND physically busy, so they are tired at nioght when its time for bed.

Some ideas are 1.) Buy a coloring book and have her color a new picture every night. 2.) One of those preschool books would work, teaches her letters, numbers, etc. 3.) You have a dog? Have her help you walk him around the block, if not just walk around the block, or ride her bike. That way she is tired when it comes time for bed. She will grow out of the stage of not wanting to go to sleep. I promise.

Hope this helps.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby The Notorious » Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:41 am

So, how is the FunBun doing with her big girl bed?

I'd give you some tips, but you know how Caleb was. The worst problem we had with him was him falling out of the big boy bed the first night, and then nothin after that.

I guess that means I am in for it with Bradley, huh?
~Arsches~
The Notorious
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby kaharthemad » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:31 am

try nyquil cap ful should do it at her age.

actually our daughter bre had the same problem. with her I had to rub her temples for about 10 minutes then she would sleep.

Liam was singing. 20 minutes and he was out like a light. But was select artists I could sing from.

Riley just went to sleep.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:17 am

It's still a couple hours before I can get out of there.
I rub her temples/forehead but she turns away from that and it also seems like it keeps her up. I sang but she then thinks its ok for her to talk (loudly) because I'm making noise.
If I sit by her bed or lay on the floor, she doesnt get out of bed, and she'll eventually go to sleep.
I kept her up till like 10:30 one night just so I didnt have to sit there long. It was still 11:45 before I was out of there.
We normally do have a routine.
8:20 JJ goes to bed.
8:30 Haileys bathtime.
8:45-9 Brush teeth and hair, get the last drink of water, put the cup in the fridge and go around giving everyone awake kisses and hugs
9 Bed.
11 I leave the room after the 2 hour fight to keep her still and quiet.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby kaharthemad » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:18 am

bricks.
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 am

I'm getting there.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby kinghooter00 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:48 am

Me and my wife gave our little girl just a couple taps on the butt if she wouldn't stay in bed. This went on for about 1 week... now she pretty much stays in her bed.
Not saying smack the shit out of her but light smack on the bottom and a stern voice usually worked.
kinghooter00
Captain Google
Captain Google

Postby The Notorious » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:58 pm

heh Not for Hailey... I know that's not gonna work.

Hmmmm, whiffle ball bat? Not quite a harsh as a brick, but could very well do the trick.
~Arsches~
The Notorious
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby Trielelvan » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:38 pm

kaharthemad wrote:bricks.

I was thinking tranquilizer darts. Less noticable ;)
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gaazy » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:54 pm

duct tape
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:36 pm

Vodka in her apple juice.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:30 pm

Every kid is so much different.. if feasible, for a while I'd definitely take JJ out of her room and just make sure anything she can play with is tucked away and see if the 'pretend you don't hear her' approach works - I've dealt with some kids who it works like a charm, and those were usually those kids who my lying with them or paying them attention in effort to get them asleep proved feeble. Depending on the kid, sometimes the staying up was just a way of getting attention and once they realize it's not working they just tire themselves out trying and give up. course not everyone will agree, but like I said, it depends on the kiddo. I'd in the very least try to get JJ out of her room for a while and see if that helps, because his company might just be another thing to distract her from bedtime
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: Big Girl Bed

Postby Dimuza » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:31 pm

Darcler wrote:Oh crap I need help.
... she didnt take a nap that day. She's overly tired and whining at everything I do. Cries when I put chicken nuggets in the microwave etc....

fuck, this reminds me of married life :hiphop:
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby kaharthemad » Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:44 am

Trielelvan wrote:
kaharthemad wrote:bricks.

I was thinking tranquilizer darts. Less noticable ;)

in a pillow case
kaharthemad
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Trielelvan » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:01 am

:rofl:
ok that works
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Next