Question for parents

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Question for parents

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:48 pm

Kael just had his tonsils and adenoids out yesterday at around 10 am. I've been giving him the prescribed medication on time and have even kept a journal of times and amounts that were given to him. Couple of questions.

1.) Don't ya think 3 Tsp of Tylenol w/Codeine every 3-4 hours is a bit much for a 6 year old that weighs 42 pounds?

2.) Tonight around 10:30 I told him to open his mouth and say Ahhh and I looked down his throat and where his tonsils used to be are all black, white, and green. It looks disgusting. He is geting antibiotics, but it looks like its decaying. I'm freaking out over that one. Should I be worried, or is it normal?

3.) He has NO appetite to speak of. They said to give him whatever he wanted to eat, as long as it wasn't hard and crunchy. Today he had 1/2 a cinnamon roll, 2 GoGurts, 1/2 bologna sandwich, and two ritz crackers with peanut butter. You think that is enough?? They said to pump him full of calories. But he just isnt that hungry. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:04 pm

1) Couldnt tell you.
2) It might just be bruising and scarring. You can ask if it still looks gross at his follow up appt.
3) Give him ice cream. It will feel good to his throat and its pretty caloriffic. He might also just be like me and a day or so after I come out of anesthesia, I just dont want to eat.
Either way, if anything seems off to you, call the ped. They get paid to answer worried mother's questions :)
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Tae-Bo » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:09 pm

1. put that shit in a cup with some sprite and some jolly ranchers. give that lil nigga the barre.

2. should prolly call a doctor i imagine

3. dunno
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Martrae » Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:21 am

1) if you're worried about the dosage call the doc today and verify it's correct

2) while you have the doc on the phone ask about they way it looks

3) I don't deal with anesthesia well either so it just may be a reaction to that. Offer him popsicles. The coldness will soothe his throat and they'll help keep him hydrated.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Question for parents

Postby Iccarra » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:46 am

The Kizzy wrote:Kael just had his tonsils and adenoids out yesterday at around 10 am. I've been giving him the prescribed medication on time and have even kept a journal of times and amounts that were given to him. Couple of questions.

1.) Don't ya think 3 Tsp of Tylenol w/Codeine every 3-4 hours is a bit much for a 6 year old that weighs 42 pounds?

2.) Tonight around 10:30 I told him to open his mouth and say Ahhh and I looked down his throat and where his tonsils used to be are all black, white, and green. It looks disgusting. He is geting antibiotics, but it looks like its decaying. I'm freaking out over that one. Should I be worried, or is it normal?

3.) He has NO appetite to speak of. They said to give him whatever he wanted to eat, as long as it wasn't hard and crunchy. Today he had 1/2 a cinnamon roll, 2 GoGurts, 1/2 bologna sandwich, and two ritz crackers with peanut butter. You think that is enough?? They said to pump him full of calories. But he just isnt that hungry. Any ideas?

Thanks.

My older son had both out at age 5.

The dosage sounds about right...1 tsp for ea. 14 lbs. of weight. If you are concerned about any reactions he may be having call the doctor, obviously.

Yes, let him have whatever he wants...as long as he is eating/drinking something and keeping it down. Popcicles, yogurt, ice cream are all good, too. :)

As far as the coloring back there I do remember the black and white from the scar tissue and healing. Since the area is always getting moisture is why you are seeing the white, if I recall correctly, from it healing. Green...I'm not sure about unless it's from something he'd ate/drank. I'd suggest keeping an eye on his temperature in the meantime since that'll indicate an infection.

However, if your gut tells you something's wrong then call the doctor, nurse's line(if you have one), or the hospital. They should be able to tell you over the phone if he needs to be checked out.

Hope that helps!
Iccarra
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Kramer » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:54 am

call the doc and let him eat what he wants, you are doing the right thing, don't worry
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Gaazy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 2:18 pm

I would call the doctor first and foremost about all that and not ask a bunch of people on a message board when it comes to questions that involve possible serious issues with you're sons health.
    Gaazy
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:43 pm

Its the weekend. I can't make a call to him until Monday.
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:28 pm

Sure you can...all docs have an answering service. Just dial the regular number and you'll be transferred. I'll wager the office nurses were in the office until noon today, too.
    Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
    Martrae
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby The Kizzy » Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:34 pm

I called about 5 minutes after I made that post. The instructions on the sheet said to call the ER, I called the ER< they said to call his answering service. His eyes are all red and puffy and scratchy. I think he might be having a reaction to something. Anyway, The service even called back to make sure they had all the info right, and I still havent gotten a call back from the doctor.
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Iccarra » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:37 am

Codeine - Side Effects
    Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

The following side effects may mean that a serious allergic reaction is occurring. Check with your doctor or get emergency help immediately if they occur, especially if several of them occur at the same time.

Less common or rare
    Bluish discoloration or flushing or redness of skin (occurring together with other effects listed in this section)
    Coughing, shortness of breath, troubled breathing, tightness in chest, or wheezing
    Difficulty in swallowing
    Dizziness or feeling faint (severe)
    Hive-like swellings (large) on eyelids, face, lips, or tongue
    Skin rash, itching, or hives
    Stuffy nose (occurring together with other effects listed in this section)

Kizzy - I hope you've already taken him to the hospital.
    Iccarra
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Postby Jennay » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:04 am

Are there any urgent cares open on Sundays near you? The ER might be the best idea like Icc says
    Jennay
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum