Healthy Snack Help

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Healthy Snack Help

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:20 am

I know this sounds horrible, but I need some ideas for a healthy snack. My munchkin started first grade yesterday and he brought home a note saying thatt hey have an early lunch this year and would need to bring a healthy snack in the afternoons.

He isn't much of a snack eater, unless its candy from the gas station or fruit snacks while watching spongebob kind of thing. Both of which, in my opinion, are not healthy.

I sent him to school today with Granny Smith slices and peanut butter, but he will get bored with that in a couple of weeks. I need something else that is good tasting, and good for you that doesnt have to be refrigerated.

Thanks
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:28 am

Why in the fuck do schools make kids eat "lunch" a few hours after they likely just ate breakfast before getting there?
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:29 am

P.S. granola bars (not that candy shit covered in chocolate or anything either)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:37 am

He doesnt like those.
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Martrae » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:49 am

raisins
pretzels
popcorn
dried fruit
peanut butter crackers

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... src=search
That's a granola bar by Alton Brown that my kids love to death.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Maeya » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:10 am

Peanut butter & celery
Carrot sticks
Any fruit at all
Mixed nuts
String Cheese
Graham crackers (not "healthy", but not a bad choice)
Dry cereal
Mini flavored rice cakes
Trail mix
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:34 am

100-calorie packs of snacks, maybe? not particularly "healthy," per se, but he'll get the sweet taste he likes for only 100 calories.

otherwise, yeah--fruit (grapes are my favorite snack food) OR i just started buying these super yummy apple chips--they're just dried apples with a little bit of natural strawberry or cinnamon flavor; 50 calories per bag and they're a really good sweet treat! i'll see if i can find the box sometime today so i can tell you what they're called for sure.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tikker » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:45 am

I find my little guy is a sucker for carrots and broccoli
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Lyion » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:39 am

Buy a big thing of Goldfish and send him in a bag a day. Cheap, easy, not too bad, and he'll probably like them.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Darcler » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:14 pm

I cant eat anymore than a small handful of Goldfish. I'll want to vomit.

String cheese, sliced fruit, crackers and cheese, trail mix (toss a small amount of m&ms in if he wont eat anything not candy coated), dehydrated fruit is a good idea and I love dehydrated fruit.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gaazy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:35 pm

You're a fucking weirdo! Goldfish are th ebest thing ever invented I say! Mmmm I used to come home from school and before Id go play outside id eat them every single day heh. Mom used to buy them in the big like 3 gallon cartons and they wouldnt last long at all
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Darcler » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:39 pm

I dont like cheese flavored crackers. Same with the cheese cracker sandwiches with peanut butter or cheese. I cant eat more than 2 sandwiches.

As long as you dont bring him candy bars or cookies or cakes, I think they consider that healthy.
Popcorn is a good idea, pack it in a thermos so they dont crush.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby leah » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm

ya or a tupperware or something. smooshed popcorn is the worst. do they have a microwave? you could send one of those little 100-calorie bags of popcorn. it's actually a lot of popcorn, all things considered.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Lyion » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Darcler wrote:I dont like cheese flavored crackers. Same with the cheese cracker sandwiches with peanut butter or cheese. I cant eat more than 2 sandwiches.

As long as you dont bring him candy bars or cookies or cakes, I think they consider that healthy.
Popcorn is a good idea, pack it in a thermos so they dont crush.

That's you. Most normal people can. The thread isn't about you and your bizarre taste, or Plastic clothing! ;)
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:16 pm

I actually can't stand Goldfish, either. They make me sick to my stomach. I have no problem with other cheese flavored crackers, though.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:07 pm

store bought granola bars aren't healthy at all, pretty much no matter what kind you get (exception being some kashi stuff.) they're loaded with sugar, such a shame people are under the delusion that they're good for you past the tiny amount of fiber they offer. homemade is obviously much different, but not many people go through the trouble.

oddly enough, I *love* baby carrots dipped in peanut butter. people look at me odd when I say it's good, but it really is. Just get a whole cornucopia of semi healthy stuff and let him make his own snack at night, give him free reign to prepare it and approve it before you pack it.. might make it fun for him. I know in daycare my kids loved making ants on a log just because it was something they could do for themselves.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:13 pm

i'm with gyps--let him have a sense of personal freedom of choice, then he'd feel like he was in control of what he was snacking on.

and ya, most granola bars are ass as far as healthiness--the kashi ones are definitely the best of the bunch, even though they are a little pricier.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Diekan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 pm

For the ladies I suggest consuming large quantities of jizz. High in protein and Harrison says it's quite filling too.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Mop » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:23 pm

I make myself protien balls, about the only supplement I actually eat because they are filling and healthy

Oats + Honey + vanilla protien powder + Peanut butter... so tasty~
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Harrison » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:52 pm

Diekan wrote:For the ladies I suggest consuming large quantities of jizz. High in protein and Harrison says it's quite filling too.

Still on my dick I see...
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum