I broke my foot

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

I broke my foot

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:16 am

On Saturday, and I've only had the crutches for a day and they're tearing up my hands. What's the best thing, other than goofy looking gloves, to kind of minimize the friction on my hands?
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Re: I broke my foot

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:08 am

Change the way you are using the crutches.

I honestly can't remember a whole lot other than that... I've spent a few weeks on crutches, but that was a long time ago and half the time I couldn't use the crutches because I had fractured my wrist in the same accident one of the times.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:15 am

Oh dear >< I don't know how to use them differently - I've never broken anything aside from my tailbone which crutches don't fix~

What a pain it must've been for you to hurt both wrist and foot >< it's hard enough to maneuver, not to mention bathe, as is with just the foot issue!
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:40 am

well first of all, do you have the padding on the support member?

Is it set at the correct height for you?

Think of the way you grip it or don't grip it. Try switching it up a little bit.

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:43 am

Yep and yep.. they were fitted at the doctor, and they were new. I've tried gripping it with a different part of my hand, but I have small hands and it always seems to revert to that same part - the heels of my hands are just red and sore ><
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:46 am

Sounds like they might be up just a bit too high for you. You are supporting your weight too much.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:52 am

i don't remember crutches hurting my hands at all, just getting a bit raw under the armpits the first week =\
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Martrae » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:40 am

Gypsiyee wrote:Yep and yep.. they were fitted at the doctor, and they were new. I've tried gripping it with a different part of my hand, but I have small hands and it always seems to revert to that same part - the heels of my hands are just red and sore ><

Sounds like they were set properly at the docs. Just because a pro does it, doesn't necessarily mean it was done right. :)
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:16 am

Tikker wrote:i don't remember crutches hurting my hands at all, just getting a bit raw under the armpits the first week =\

...you typically don't want to let your armpits carry your weight on crutches. Too many nerves/blood vessels in that area can cause problems.

Especially if you are younger and trying to book around still.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Tikker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:21 am

10sun wrote:
Tikker wrote:i don't remember crutches hurting my hands at all, just getting a bit raw under the armpits the first week =\

...you typically don't want to let your armpits carry your weight on crutches. Too many nerves/blood vessels in that area can cause problems.

Especially if you are younger and trying to book around still.

well, i worded it poorly

i didn't mean IN the armpits, but like 4-5 inches under the arm pits
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:21 am

they're about 2 cm below my armpits.. I figured that means its probably not too low, yeah? because if they were much higher theyd be like inside my armpits and thats not right...right?
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm sorry you broke your foot =(
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Trielelvan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:25 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:On Saturday, and I've only had the crutches for a day and they're tearing up my hands. What's the best thing, other than goofy looking gloves, to kind of minimize the friction on my hands?

Ouch >< Sorry you broke your foot Gyps :( I hope you heal up quick.
I recall my g-grandma's hands were all tore up from crutches too when she broke her hip. The amount of padding on the handgrips were not thick enough, and were made of foam rubber. The pressure was rubbing her palms raw. What she did was tape 2 or 3 big sponges to the tops of the grips, then wrapped it in a piece of flannel from sheets or something. The extra cushioning seemed to help her a lot. I could be mistaken, but I think they actually sell some sort of extra cushion you can velcro or snap onto the grips in drugstores or something.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:48 pm

its really not that bad, it's only a teenie tiny crack, if that - so tiny in fact that one of the techs disagreed that it was broken. I figured it wasn't anything but a large bruise, but after a few days and as it worsened my dad decided that I would go to the doctor and theres no arguing with dad >< so the doctor was showing me this teeny black line on the xray and said that thats the small fracture and splinted it. she was checking with another tech to see if i would need to get a walking cast and he's the one who didn't agree that it was cracked so she told me to just keep the splint on for a while.

was such a stupid thing too. big jar candle rolled off the countertop (wed just bought it and were putting away groceries) and landed square on my foot
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm

hm. I'm wondering now..because I thought my pinky was broken over the weekend and it's still black and blue/swollen. I can't bend it at the first knuckle and it's kinda numb but pain shoots out the tip of my finger if I try to extend it. the pain was pretty awful but I took an xray of it and it didn't look broken to me. I wonder if I missed a line. I'm not a doctor!
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum