Tall Boy

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: Tall Boy

Postby Gidan » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:28 am

Holy damn, I really am cheap. I have a hard time paying $50 for a pair of jeans!!!! Most of my pants cost me $30 max, clearance sales ftw.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gypsiyee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:39 am

Gidan wrote:Holy damn, I really am cheap. I have a hard time paying $50 for a pair of jeans!!!! Most of my pants cost me $30 max, clearance sales ftw.

I'm the same way. I don't think I've ever paid more than $32 for a pair of jeans.

Also, as to Leah's comment.. I think if I picked out Jonathan's jeans for him he'd probably ask me when I became his mom and send me back to the store >.< Scott was a different story, but that man would wear jeans until the ass had fallen out of them and then try to get a couple more miles out of them, so unless you brought him some home he'd look like a goddamn hobo.

We were just at Kohls on Friday buying some jeans for Jono actually - he was just amazed; I remember him telling me about a year ago that Levi's were $150 over there and what a quality jean they were..I just laughed at his assumption that they were a great designer jean, so when we got him a pair for 30 bucks he was amazed :p
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Savanna » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:58 am

Patrick is damn picky when it comes to jeans. He's 6'4 and skinny. He's tried others but we always end up back at Lucky Jeans. The only time I'll buy them for him is around Christmas when Nordstroms has their sale and they are down to $80something. For him though, he doesn't wear these jeans out fast. He has a pair of lucky jeans from college that he still wears so I don't mind him having a few of them since they have lasted him so long.

On the other hand, my size jumped around a bit. I gained weight right after college, lost it surprisingly while pregnant (lost a lot, 20ish at the start because of 24/7 morning sickness) then put some of it back on in the end but after Braysen was born I just started dropping sizes again. I went back to my 4/6s and now being pregnant again, I'm up to 8. We can't justify expensive stuff on me until i'm done having kids and my weight may stabilize hopefully! Then I may finally be able to put my ass in a nice pair of jeans. For now, I find Gap stuff works for me and isn't too out of budget :P

I spend more on kiddos clothes sometimes then myself.
I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
Savanna
NT Aviak
NT Aviak

Postby leah » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:01 pm

aww, prego again, grats!!

i don't spend much money on jeans, either, b/c i tend to fluctuate in weight too and it doesn't make much sense to spend hella money on two pairs of jeans in different sizes, so whatever.

josh has only gone clothes shopping ONCE since we've been together, gyps. if i didn't buy him clothes, it wouldn't happen, period. :P
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gaazy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:13 pm

im about on Mindia's page. I dont care how comfortable or how well they fit, Im not paying moe than 30 for a pair of jeans. Call me cheap or whatever, but thats money I can put towards this $500 a month truck payment, or one of the other fun bills :dunno:

$20 Classic fit Wranglers FTW!
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tae-Bo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:35 pm

i wish i had someone that would shop for me. most of the time i buy something and then i hate it a week later and never wear it again.
Chances are very good that you've never touched Linux a day in your pathetic life.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby 10sun » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:45 pm

I don't wear jeans, but I thought I should post in this thread :harrison:
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby araby » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:47 pm

unrelated but the owner of Lucky Jeans just started a record label with Jay Clifford (from Jump Little Children) and it's called 33 1/2 records. this means absolutely nothing to any of you, I just had to mention it.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby The Kizzy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm

I wish I could get a pair of jeans for $30. If Im on the downside of my weight, I can fit into my Eddie Bauers they are just a smidge too short, but look cute with Loafers and they run $60-$80 depending on the season. All my other jeans are mens jeans and I have to buy them at the men's big and tall store (insert fattums joke here) and those always run $50-$70
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:52 pm

I have quite a few from Gap, but I only got them because my aunt worked there and we got some discount during the Family and Friends sale they had. They cost more than I like to pay. I'm wearing the hell out of a couple pair I bought from Target. $20 or so. They fit, it's what matters. I have a few pair from Old Navy but they fit so odd in the waist I dont really wear them often. I havent bought a new pair from them in their different cuts, so I might find a pair that fits right there some day if I decide to add a new pair to my closet.
My height is an odd problem. I'm about an inch too short for the short people pants and the regulars are a tad long. I'd rather long.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:30 am

I have a few pair from Old Navy but they fit so odd in the waist I dont really wear them often.

I'm in the same boat with old navy.. the jeans *never* fit right.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:13 am

Gypsiyee wrote:
I have a few pair from Old Navy but they fit so odd in the waist I dont really wear them often.

I'm in the same boat with old navy.. the jeans *never* fit right.

me too also as well. i *hate* old navy jeans.

their dressy trousers are OK, though, and i really like their skirts (which is good since i have to wear skirts to work every day . . . grr)
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:17 am

ugh, I could never work somewhere that forced me to wear skirts every day >< especially not in a state like ne where it gets cold.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:20 am

haha but it's ok, we have a pants policy in place:

if the forecasted HIGH for a given day is 20 degrees or less as per weather.com's forecast for zip code 68521, then we may wear a matching pantsuit (none of this black-pants-and-a-sweater business).

GAH I HATE THE DRESS CODE

but i knew about it going in, so it's my own fault for being stuck with it. that's how they get away with it, y'know--they tell you about it in detail before you accept the job.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:49 am

That's friggin ridiculous. what in gods name is so spectacular about the place that you *need* to look that formal? What do the men have to wear?
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:52 am

hah they wear full suits with ties at all times. and they have to wear white shirts under their jackets, no fancy colors :P

i don't know what the deal is. mister head honcho got it into his head that professional attire is more conducive to work--like, we'll get more done when we're wearing very professional clothing than we would if we were wearing business casual or semi-professional clothing. i think it's all bunk, obviously, but there's nothing i can do about it.

most of the time i don't even mind it that much b/c i'm so used to it. sure, i get sick of pantyhose every now and again (yes, pantyhose are also a requirement), but sometimes it's nice to put on a cute skirt and feel pretty. i just wish that i could have the option of pants when it's 32 degrees out and windy :(
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:27 am

good gravy, that's just insane. 3 piece suits and skirts, sounds like mr. head honcho is a higher-than-mighty ass. It's understood if you work in an environment that very professional people will frequent all the time.. but thinking that the way you dress changes your work ethic? is he going to require thick brimmed glasses next? I can totally understand professional work attire - no boobs hanging out, pants that cover your ass crack, not looking like a hobo, etc.. but business casual is just fine. cripes, i could never work for someone like that. more power to you, though ><
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:56 am

hehe actually it's funny to see what some people get away with that manages to fall into the technical dress code guidelines . . . there's one chick in particular who is very tall and model-skinny who tends to wear short babydoll dresses or tight shirts/skirts and always get away with it. my own personal rebellion is wearing low v-neck shirts :P we find ways to flip off the dress code as often as possible, to be sure.

for a while not too long ago, they tried to enforce the rule that men had to put on their suit jacket every time they stood up from their desks to go somewhere--be it a meeting, the break room, or even the bathroom. that didn't last long :P

i've had a year and a half to adjust to it now, so i don't get too worked up anymore. but it's really funny (and kind of eye-opening) to hear other people's reactions when they hear about our dress code though haha
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby araby » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:53 pm

they don't want you to be too comfortable or you might not be working.

today i wore a corduroy knee-length skirt and knee high socks and the doctor i work for is freaking out. he wont' say anything but I *know* he wants to.

he should go ahead and cut me a check for uniforms then and just be glad my hair isn't in pigtail braids.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:56 pm

oooh, a what-are-you-wearing-to-work-today discussion!

i'm wearing a black-and-white seersucker skirt with black trim from target (i don't describe things well, btw), a fitted black short-sleeve shirt, pantyhose, and my black pointy-toed nicole miller heels :D

really, i kind of have fun with the dress code. sometimes it makes me feel pretty :D
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tikker » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:23 pm

with our company it totally depends on which floor of the tower you work on

if you're in sales, marketing, planning, etc etc it's business formal

down here in the engineering floors, it's jeans and t shirts MAYBE the occassional polo/golf shirt will be seen

heh, our tier2 manager wears leather pants(altho she's just reaching that cusp where she's ALMOST too old to get away with it)

oh yeah, and steel toed boots are the main footwear (routers are heavy!)
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:37 pm

Out here, formality of dress largely depends on how much personal face-to-face interaction you have with customers. Even then, the rule of thumb is "business casual", ie, dockers & polo shirt. Only very rare occasions, or only for really stuffy companies like banks do you see people in shirt & tie, and even rarer with a suit jacket. Hell, most high tech companies have no dress code at all. Last one I interviewed at even specified in the confirmation for the interview that casual attire only for interview. They downcheck people who show up for interviews in suits cause it shows they didn't read the directions.

Hell, in a technical enough position, most places really couldn't care less how you dress. You're not meeting the customers, so as long as you're not showing up naked, who cares. I knew a coder who used to have half of his hair dyed pale green, shaved the top off, and would come to work in black punk band T-shirts (Black Flag was most common), black bicycle shorts (the lycra ones with padding, etc.) and doc martins boots. No one said a word.

If I HAD to wear a tie as a dress code, I would probably get the most ugly and disturbing tie possible and wear that, or make it into a complete joke. I know someone who had a joke tie that would be perfect. It was actually all made of clear plastic (it didn't "tie", the neck part was 2 halves of a loop with velcro, so it could fit any sized neck). Now, inside the tie down at the bottom was sand and a plastic palm tree, and below that, in a seperate compartment of blue clear plastic were a bunch of small plastic fish. Painted onto the tie was a bright tropical sun & clouds. So, yeah, it was a whole tropical island (with fish, and real sand!) in a tie.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:21 pm

jeans and a decent button-down shirt with nikes

fridays i wear khakis for court
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gaazy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Cong steel toe boots every day. Now boots are something i do spend some money on. Ive got 4 different pairs of toes around. Most expensive being my knee high rubber steel toe and meta-tarsel mine boots. Ran about 500 bucks if I remember right. Cant sheist on a good pair of boots though in that hazardous environment though. Dont know where your stepping or what on most of time because the waters 6-12 inches deep a lot of the time, mixed with coal, mud, grease and crud, etc. is look slike your always walking in a black goop. Then it gets so low you get to spend money on a good pair of kneepads instead of boots. The funnest part of work is when the ceiling of the mine gets down to about 36 inches or so and the water and mud is 12+ inches deep, then you get to buy a nice set of heavy duty fishing waders to crawl around in :wink: Blahh Ive got way too much other equipment to buy to worry about jeans and casual wear @
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:09 pm

But Gaazy, don't you think those mine workers would be more productive if they had to wear suit & tie, like Leah's boss thinks? ;)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

PreviousNext

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum