potty training

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

potty training

Postby Kramer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:51 am

ummm.... yeah.... not much fun in my house this weekend kids.
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Re: potty training

Postby Phlegm » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:45 am

At your age shouldn't you be potty train by now?
    Phlegm
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Gummy bears work wonders as an incentive. They're low on sugar and pretty darn cheap.
    Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
    Martrae
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Savanna » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:01 pm

http://www.parenthacks.com/2007/01/potty_training_.html

here's a site that has some different tricks parents have used :) I've heard a lot of them but some were pretty cool and different. I've of course heard M&M's, Gummy Bears and other treats besides the link above. Our little man is only 21 months but we do have a little potty in the bathroom for him. It's way early (I know that :P ) but he has shown interest for a long time. He's gone #2 once for Patrick but not for me yet. He'll sit on it forevvvver though so at least I know he's not scared of the whole thing, just not interested in using it yet. Most tell me closer to 3 he'll be more in a trying state then his curiosity state he's in right now. I just hope we don't have problems training with a new baby in the house come May.
    I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures
    Savanna
    NT Aviak
    NT Aviak

Postby Kramer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:10 pm

thanks for the site, i will have to check it out. our is 2 3/4, we were a little stalled on begininng because my wife was has been pregnant and we have an 11 week old. we had a little seat in the bathroom and he is ok with sitting on the toilet, though this is our first big move to move him away from diapers, the kind of move where you risk your house being a giant toilet.

anyway, went ok, it will take some time though, anyway, parenting is exhausting.
      Kramer
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:02 pm

my little guy is pretty happy to switch to the standing pee manouever, which is pretty cool

he has a tough time taking a dump in the toilet tho, he jsut refuses to tell us when he has to go #2

(yet it's been months since he's peed his pants)
      Tikker
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 am

Hailey is 3. She wont tell us when she has to pee. She will lie when I ask her if she has pooped in her pants, just to keep playing. I took her to the potty once an hour for awhile, the most I got out of it was a couple farts. She has gone a couple times at my moms house though. We use M&Ms (gummy candy stays on the teeth longer, which I dont like), stickers...nothing works.
      I dont even want to start training a boy...I might make that Gid's job when the time comes.
      We have been in pull ups for.ev.er....if I knew that my mom would be on board with it (she stays at my moms house Tues and Sat nights), I would just put her in big girl panties and let her loose. BUT, she has shown me that she has no problems stewing in her own waste.

Parenting sucks, indeed.
      Darcler
      Saran Wrap Princess
      Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Jennay » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:48 am

Rub their nose in it and smack em

Jk- that's mean. Kids aren't dogs.
      Jennay
      NT Traveller
      NT Traveller

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:41 am

Darcler wrote:Hailey is 3. She wont tell us when she has to pee. She will lie when I ask her if she has pooped in her pants, just to keep playing. I took her to the potty once an hour for awhile, the most I got out of it was a couple farts. She has gone a couple times at my moms house though. We use M&Ms (gummy candy stays on the teeth longer, which I dont like), stickers...nothing works.
      I dont even want to start training a boy...I might make that Gid's job when the time comes.
      We have been in pull ups for.ev.er....if I knew that my mom would be on board with it (she stays at my moms house Tues and Sat nights), I would just put her in big girl panties and let her loose. BUT, she has shown me that she has no problems stewing in her own waste.

Parenting sucks, indeed.

stewing in her own waste in pullups is a bit different than in big girl panties, though. i had a boy in my class who was 5.. FIVE! and he still wouldn't go to the potty. his mom was a total schlub, popping out babies and couldn't even clean the ones she had before she brought them to school. she put a pullup on him every day, clearly never tried to potty train him and said as much when I asked her, and every morning he had poo in it. (she was a terrible mother, not the case with you obviously, but she was just awful.)

We kept spare undies and other clothes at the school for when kids had accidents (new ones mind you, we didn't reuse undies on the kids :p) and when he had big boy undies on he would always ask to go to the potty. I think the pullups were just more of a crutch for him, the feeling still has a bit of a diaper feel and they don't feel the heaviness of it nearly so much as with big boy/girl undies.

Logan who I nannied had the same thing, though not with poop. he would pee himself all day long in a pullup, but in big boy undies he would yank at his diddle and ask to go because 'miss ashley my wee gets cold if i go potty in my pants' - he had maybe 2 or 3 accidents in the big boy undies when he first started, but coming into the A/C from outside when he had an accident wasn't his cup of tea I think. It helped that he had a 2 year old sister who he was able to look at proudly when he wore his big boy undies and tell her how he's a big boy but she wears diapers and one day she'll be a big girl too.. ah, they were cute.

It's your daughter.. not your mom's. I reckon you could let her loose at your house all you want, if your mom wants to change her fine, but it's worth a shot for your own sanity.
      "I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
      Gypsiyee
      NT Deity
      NT Deity

Postby Haylo » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:30 am

My 3 year old nephews were surprisingly easy to train for boys, as compared to my oldest nephew who was a nightmare. Pullups are a huge crutch and really just a way for them to milk parents for more money. In my experience as an aunt, nanny, and daycare worker, I have found them to be no better than diapers. Kids will still mess on themselves just as much because the pullups still keep the mess from the rest of their body, they can't really feel it to much. When we changed the twins over to underpants, they just started to go to the bathroom. We did wait till later though to even start with them as they just weren't showing signs of interest. Let's see they turned 3 in August and they started wearing underpants in July. We do still use pullups/overnights for bedtime as it varies with them being able to hold it at night, sometimes they will wake up dry and sometimes not.

Now my Niece is 2 1/2 and she's already started to use the potty. She has normal panties and also the thicker underpants with the rubber lining on the outside, we use those for when we're going to be out of the house, just in case she has an accident.

As for some tips, we encouraged them by trying to make sure they went to the bathroom before doing things they enjoyed. So we would say "Josh and Jay, let's go to the potty now so that we can go to the park" or stuff like that. It worked really well for us because it gave them an incentive. Like ok if I want to do something fun, first I need to pee. For my Niece, she's was easier because she likes to dress up and wear cute stuff so we just had to tell her not to pee on herself or she'd mess up her pretty clothes. She sometimes has accidents here and there if she's playing and forgets but for the most part she's good.
      Tasya
      Undead Priest
      Malfurion
      Haylo
      NT Disciple
      NT Disciple

Postby The Kizzy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:48 am

Both my boys took less than a month to train, and have had very few accidents since. Although my youngest has started peeing in the trash can because "he can't hold it long enough to get to the toilet" although the trash sits between the toilet and the cabinet, so we are talking less than 6 inches.

Anyway...........anytime the ex had to go pee, he would take the boys in there with hima dn show them how to hold it etc. Once he had done that for a few weeks, I bought them underoos with their favorite cartoon character. I think it was Power Rangers for one, and Spongebob for the other. We sat them down and gave them their surprise and of course they were so excited they wanted to wear them right away. Thats when we hooked them in by telling them that they couldn't have the underwear if they were going to keep going in their diapers. It worked like a charm.

Hell, my youngest is almost 7 now and he still lets the whole housew now when he is going to go use the facilities.
      Zanchief wrote:
      Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
      The Kizzy
      NT Patron
      NT Patron

Postby Darcler » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:24 pm

Gosh, she's just so damn stubborn. We've starting trying on the potty right before JJ was born. Mistake. So we've started back up soon after the birth, so we've been trying roughly a year. She shows NO interest at all. She's gone maybe a handful of times since we started.

Maybe it's the potty? Did you try on a small potty or did you use a step stool and put a seat on the big potty? What about the undies? Did you just let them wear those alone or did you put those rubber things on as well?
      I'm going to invest in a large amount f Scotchguard and spray the house down and let her at it. I'm tired of changing 2 sets of diapers when I should only have to do 1.
      Darcler
      Saran Wrap Princess
      Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:29 am

My boys had their own potties, but they took much more interest in the big ones. Like Tiff, we used the rubber undies for Logan if we were going to be out for a long time, but if we were just at the house he went with only the big boy undies - I always let him pick out his own when I got him out of bed in the morning and told him it was time to go potty, and he usually picked spiderman and was so pleased with his choice that he'd talk about them for ages, but at least it kept his mind on the fact that he was wearing big boy undies and couldn't tink in his pants.

When his parents and I talked about first transitioning him off of the pullups was when we went to the rubber ones, but he didn't show nearly so much interest in those so it didn't last really long. I think it's because they weren't nearly as cute.. they were just thick white with a grid pattern on them - so the only time we ever used those after about the first 4 days was when he went to bed (if he asked for them so that he could feel like a big boy, otherwise in case of nighttime accidents for a little while we still kept him in the pullup at night) or when we went out.

One thing that I found helpful was that after the initial pair of undies to get them used to the feel of them, when we went shopping I'd let him pick out his own undies so that he would be excited to wear them, and what Tiff said works really well also; using going potty before you go to the park etc. Before long he wanted nothing to do with pullups. In Timmy's (the 5 year old) case we always lined up to go potty before outside time anyway so it became habit, and he was thrilled to be out of pullups at school because it was embarrassing for him; the kids constantly picked on him about it.
      "I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
      Gypsiyee
      NT Deity
      NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 am

How old is she now, Darc? Our oldest had no interest in using the potty either until her brother started showing early interest and THEN she was trained within a week. She's highly competitive like that.

I know changing diapers sucks but you won't be able to force her to do it. She'll do it when she's ready and not a moment before. We had 3 in diapers at one point.....that truly sucked.
      Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
      Martrae
      Admin Abuse Squad
      Admin Abuse Squad

Postby leah » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:52 am

omg this thread reinforces my belief that i should never have children >< sorry some of you are having a hard time :(
      lolz
      leah
      Preggers!
      Preggers!

Postby Martrae » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 am

That's why young kids are so darn cute. ;)
      Martrae
      Admin Abuse Squad
      Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tikker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 am

I think last night Alex finally caught on that pooping somewhere other than in the toilet was just not going to cut it anymore

as I was picking his log up off the floor, I told him he was being bad, and he got all weepy and sad cause I thought he was a bad boy

right after that he apologized and said he'd be a good boy from then on

we'll see what happens I guess
      Tikker
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:57 pm

leah wrote:omg this thread reinforces my belief that i should never have children >< sorry some of you are having a hard time :(

Don't worry your little boi was hopefully potty trained when you got him.
      10sun
      NT Drunkard
      NT Drunkard

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:27 pm

oh my gracious Tik, he poos on the floor? man, in the 30-40 or so kids I've cared for over the years, I've never run into that problem.. thank goodness
      Gypsiyee
      NT Deity
      NT Deity

Postby Tikker » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:31 pm

well

it's a really rare thing, and it's like a big dry hard log when it happens (ie, it doesn't actually make a mess. you'd get more mess dropping a hotdog on the floor)
      Tikker
      NT Legend
      NT Legend

Postby Darcler » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:03 pm

She's 3 and a couple months.
      She's also pooped on the floor. At my mom's house. She dropped the pull up and pants and dropped one in the doorway to my old room (her room now).
      I laughed heartily because it HAD to happen at my moms house. The Queen of Clean.

Anyway, if Gid is up to helping me, I'm going to get the potty from my in laws house and put her in panties this weekend. We'll see what happens.
      Darcler
      Saran Wrap Princess
      Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Kramer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:40 am

crazy how potty training is such a touchy issue, i swear when we started it, i had, once the first 6 months past, felt like i could do anything, then this hit and it had me remembering what it was like the first 3-4 months with my first kid.... it's so new and something you just have to stumble through, no clean way to do it (no pun intended)
        Kramer
        NT Traveller
        NT Traveller

Postby 10sun » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:25 am

Kramer wrote:crazy how potty training is such a touchy issue, i swear when we started it, i had, once the first 6 months past, felt like i could do anything, then this hit and it had me remembering what it was like the first 3-4 months with my first kid.... it's so new and something you just have to stumble through, no clean way to do it (no pun intended)

crate training np.
        10sun
        NT Drunkard
        NT Drunkard

Postby Kramer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:11 am

:rofl:
          Kramer
          NT Traveller
          NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:16 am

i find it really frustrating

he's been awesome about peeing in the potty for months and months now, it's incredibly rare that he pees the bed (probably like once in the last year) so the whole pooping his diaper is incredibly frustrating because it usually happens about 8 minutes after he finishes peeing in the toilet
          Tikker
          NT Legend
          NT Legend

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum