So I'm joining the Y today

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

So I'm joining the Y today

Postby The Kizzy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:40 am

My brother who is 6'0" is 330 pounds, I am 6'3" and at least 250 now, and the weight keeps packing on. I quit smoking almost a year ago and went through chemo, and went into total remission, and then all I could hold down was pizza. Not a good thing for my waist, thighs or my love handles.

Anyway, I have decided to really devote myslef to this for 1 month and see how much of a difference it makes. Its the only way I can justify doing this.

Instead of a Diet Coke and powdered donuts for breakfast when I get to work in the morning, I was thinking granola, fruit and yogurt, followed by grapes for an mid morning snack. Regular lunch, but cut back on all the fried foods and pizza, mid afternoon snack, maybe some cheese and crackers? then fish and veggies for dinner and another yogurt before bed. Im cutting out my diet sodas to MAYBE one a day or less.

Any other quick snacks that I can put in my purse and take out at work ideas would be appreciated
Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:I'm not dead

Fucker never listens to me. That's it, I'm an atheist.
The Kizzy
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: So I'm joining the Y today

Postby Evermore » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:40 am

try shifting most of your carb intake to the am hrs and less in the pm. try not to eat after 8pm either
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Kramer » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 am

my family and i are members at the Y, rock the house!
Mindia is seriously the greatest troll that has ever lived.
    Kramer
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 am

10sun gave me an awesome recommendation. Cottage cheese. It totally fights off hunger. In the morning I'll eat 2 apples and a cup of cottage cheese at around 8am and I'm good until at least 2.
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:36 am

The Kizzy wrote:My brother who is 6'0" is 330 pounds, I am 6'3" and at least 250 now, and the weight keeps packing on. I quit smoking almost a year ago and went through chemo, and went into total remission, and then all I could hold down was pizza. Not a good thing for my waist, thighs or my love handles.

Anyway, I have decided to really devote myslef to this for 1 month and see how much of a difference it makes. Its the only way I can justify doing this.

Instead of a Diet Coke and powdered donuts for breakfast when I get to work in the morning, I was thinking granola, fruit and yogurt, followed by grapes for an mid morning snack. Regular lunch, but cut back on all the fried foods and pizza, mid afternoon snack, maybe some cheese and crackers? then fish and veggies for dinner and another yogurt before bed. Im cutting out my diet sodas to MAYBE one a day or less.

Any other quick snacks that I can put in my purse and take out at work ideas would be appreciated

From the sounds of it it sounds like you have the right idea - one thing to keep in mind, though, is that you really should change up your foods. If you get into the same monotonous routine your body is going to settle with it and you'll stop seeing results. Also, from my own personal experience (though not recently.. man oh man i can tell you what you need to do but hell if I ever follow it!) you need to allow yourself to splurge once a week. That's not to say you just go nuts and eat junk all day, but one meal once a week allow yourself some freedom so that you don't feel totally deprived

Cutting your soda down is great too, but you gotta gotta gotta drink your full 64 oz of water, and as a woman you need to keep your salt low-ish or you'll retain like crazy. a good thing that'll help you release any of the excess water retention is a glass of hot water with a lemon wedge in it. it's not some miracle cure, but it'll flush at least some of it out.

When I was dieting heavy, one of my favorite snacks to carry with me was baby carrots and peanut butter - sounds odd and you can't just think that they're unlimited because carrots are high in sugar and pb high in fat, but it's way yum as long as you keep it to about 10 carrots and a tbsp of pb.

PS - learn to love your grill, it's my absolute favorite thing for being able to cook a healthy meal with lots and lots of flavor. I like to experiment with my own marinades, and love love chicken breast and pork tenderloin - one of my favorite fish though has to be mahi, and mahi goes fantastic with a teryaki type marinade. also, lemon and garlic up some asparagus, blanch it and finish it on the grill - so good.
    "I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
    Gypsiyee
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby Martrae » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:59 am

Kiwis. Lots of fiber...low glycemic...tons of vitamins and minerals and antioxidants.
    Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
    Martrae
    Admin Abuse Squad
    Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Gaazy » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:33 am

Our Y used to be an awesome place to go to. Now its garbage. We used to be a big basketball town in the state, and even nation for a while. Thats because like everyone as a kid used to go to the Y after and stay til close and play ball, just for fun. Now, the thugs have taken it over, and the employees are too hcicken shit to tell them to get the fuck out. They take over the whole court, wont let anyon play, take the balls from everyone else, including the little kids that wanna play a game. If you say otherwise, they jump you in the parking lot. The weight room used to be a good, serious place to work out, now its a bunch of them taking a break from ball sitting on the benches and machines, and telling anyone who ask to use them, to fuck off or we'll fight you.

Im not aloud at the Y anymore. Havent been in 5 years. When I was a freshman, during the breaks from school thats where Id work out at, and thats when this was all first starting at the Y and goin downhill. A couple of them were sittin on one of the benches one day and when I asked nicely to use it, they said fuck off whitey, and that led to me losing my temper and hitting one of them across the face with a 25 lb. plate. Gogo friends that worked there and state popo friends that didnt let me get in trouble!

The local gang of high school kids call themselves the "Get Money Boyz". Rofl, no shit. They even have gang tattooes and shit. You just think, guys, your in SOUTHERN WEST VIRGINIA, NOT NEW YORK, OR ANY OTHER INNER CITY, you NOT a super thug gangster!

But yeah, the Y used to be an awesome place to go and hang out. Really good for the community, like its supposed to be. Having a place for the kids to go and not worry about gettingin hurt or trouble was so great. Now the kids have no where :(
    Gaazy
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby araby » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:45 am

ours in charleston is pretty awful, I'd never go there.

the one in my hometown though, is wholesome, everyone goes.
    araby
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 am

this is my gym: http://www.thefivewillows.com/

love love love it :D

i'm dieting/exercising HARDCORE for the next six weeks especially because we leave for italy march 7 and i want to be as slim and trim and fit as i can be by then. i know i won't have met any of my long-term goals by then, but i would like to lose maybe 10 pounds by then. we'll see. :D

so good luck, kiz, and if you need a diet buddy, i'm all yours.
    lolz
    leah
    Preggers!
    Preggers!

Postby 10sun » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:44 am

Jay wrote:10sun gave me an awesome recommendation. Cottage cheese. It totally fights off hunger. In the morning I'll eat 2 apples and a cup of cottage cheese at around 8am and I'm good until at least 2.

Cottage cheese might not be the best for her because of the amount of protein it packs in per serving.
    Also, some people find it disgusting.

That being said, I fucking love the shit. I am going to make some right now as my lunch / early dinner.

I didn't lose a whole lot of weight, but I trimmed my fat back considerably.
    Went from 210-215 down to 180-190, from a 36 waist to a 34 & increased energy just by substituting my morning soda & doughnuts with a glass of V8, cottage cheese, & an apple.
    10sun
    NT Drunkard
    NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:54 am

Who the fuck eats donuts and soda for breakfast?!

That makes me sick even thinking about it.
    How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
    Harrison
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:21 am

crack and 40oz king cobra for the win
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby Jennay » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:16 am

Hey Janet, sounds like a good plan. As far as snacks to keep in your purse, I love Nutri Grain bars. They are currently one of the only things I can keep down right now aside from saltines and ginger ale. Good luck!
    Jennay
    NT Traveller
    NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:43 am

janet drop me a text at 408 882 7266. ill help ya out hard to do it on my phone on NT
    Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
    Mop
    Dictator in Training
    Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:50 pm

K everybody send mop a nasty text at the same time... ready? GO!
    “The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
    Narrock
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:01 am

ps, maybe just don't eat snacks?
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:45 pm

you are supposed to eat healthy snacks. you should eat 5-6 times a day to help keep up the metabolism or something Mop said.
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:55 pm

if the goal is to lose weight, you really need to work on eating less

planning on snacks just seems like maybe not giving yourself the best opportunity

doesn't matter if you speed up your metabolism a bit if you have to burn off a couple hundred extra calories

if you're eating a bit less at each meal to balance the snacks, then sure, that'd work
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:05 pm

Mop is a personal trainer, he does it for a living, I'll take his word for it.
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:16 pm

I think Tikk is kind of looking at it in a certain way - he's looking at it as you're adding food to your diet

you're meant to have snacks to keep your metabolism going yes, but you're also meant to eat smaller portions at each meal. 6 small meals a day is typically the goal for that, thats why shes planning the snacks
    "I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
    Gypsiyee
    NT Deity
    NT Deity

Postby The Kizzy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:23 pm

Oh, ok. Yes 5-6 small meals a day
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:52 pm

all I'm saying is that if you want to lose weight, it's all about metabolism vs caloric intake

doesn't matter how much you increase your metabolism if it doesn't exceed how much food you eat
    Tikker
    NT Legend
    NT Legend

Postby The Kizzy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:05 am

30 mnutes of cardio this morning, I swear my legs were like Jello when I got off the machine.

Breakfast--Kashi with Strawberries
    Snack--Yogurt with granola
    Lunch-Turkey Sammich
    Snack-trail mix
    Dinner-not sure what I have planned yet.
    Late night snack Yogurt again
    Zanchief wrote:

The Kizzy
    NT Patron
    NT Patron

Postby Jay » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:10 am

Just play and WoW and don't eat. So far it's working for me.
    leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
    Jay
    Nappy Headed Ho
    Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Hylissa » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:14 am

The Kizzy wrote:30 mnutes of cardio this morning, I swear my legs were like Jello when I got off the machine.

Breakfast--Kashi with Strawberries
    Snack--Yogurt with granola
    Lunch-Turkey Sammich
    Snack-trail mix
    Dinner-not sure what I have planned yet.
    Late night snack Yogurt again

Tikker has a good point, especially with the snacks you have chosen. Be careful with the granola and trail mix ... both are usually high in fat/calories. If losing weight is your goal, you would be better to omit both of those...
    Hylissa
    NT Froglok
    NT Froglok

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum