my health concern as of late

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

my health concern as of late

Postby araby » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 pm

After a lot of imbalance, dizziness and inability to figure out why, I went to the ER yesterday at our medical university. Why did I choose the ER at the MedU? Cause I have no insurance, and they'll bill me.

After a CT scan and an MRI they found two lesions on my brain and have ordered a lumbar puncture to determine if I have Multiple Sclerosis.

Not only will I be paying medical bills for a while because of these tests, but for many years to come if I'm diagnosed and have to have medication.

If I am diagnosed, finding a job with benefits won't matter, because of the pre-existing condition clause.

I haven't been diagnosed yet. Do I quick, find a job with benefits and then have the lumbar? Or, do I do the test sooner than later so that if by chance I am diagnosed I can benefit from treatment sooner than later? Either way, I've already racked up over a $1000.

the problem with finding another job right away, is that I've not been able to function the last few days, which is why I went to the ER yesterday. I've been battling a cold, which I hoped was sinusitis, explaining the sudden dizziness. The imbalance has been gradually getting worse. No sinusitis though. That's not why I'm dizzy. I just have a common cold.

any input or ideas is appreciated. No "I feel sorry for you's" though-cause nothing's gonna get me down.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: my health concern as of late

Postby Gaazy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:20 pm

God, I hope its not MR hon. One of the my ski coaches when I was young was diagnosed with it. Awesome guy. Within 2 years he went from skiing and full activity to wheel chair stricken.

You might need to rob a bank. In the last 2 years, Mark has spent many many tens of thousands of dollars on everything from spinal taps to therapy. And whatever specific type of MS he has, its the kind that gets really bad, really fast, and there aint many treatments that can do anything for it. I just hope you dont have it at all, and if you do, its one of the minor kinds.

But yeah, from what Ive seen with Mark in the past 2 years and watching how fast he has snowballed with his MS, every day you wait counts. So whatever you do, I wouldnt spend too much time searching for anything befor eyou get tested. It can get worse at the drop of a hat im tellin ya. I have been there to help him with everything from batheing him to lifting him up into his truck (which he drives by hand controls, which is pretty kewl. throttles like a 4 wheeler thumb thing). so please, dont wait too long

Also, this i snot a scare you post. This a post telling you my experience with MS, and hopefully to help~ It can be a very serious, sudden condition
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Evermore » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:28 pm

i hate to do this to you. but I believe you can be considered disabled with MS and that puts you on Plan B...
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:03 pm

You don't have to change jobs to have health insurance.. just go into a Blue Cross Blue Shield office and see what kind of programs they can offer you because your current employer doesn't offer it.. yeah you'll have to pay for it yourself but if you look at the grand scheme of things it's a heck of a lot better than nothing

I really, really hope that it isn't MS ash.. I'll cross my fingers for you - <3 you
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:31 pm

MS has stages and varying degrees and some of those make you ineligible for disability. Honestly, I know you have a child to be concerned about so it's not like you can ignore the money situation but I do also know a friend of mine who suddenly became temporarily blind due to MS while she was driving and I would say that your health is more important than your financial situation. Also, be prepared to get fat because the medication for MS kills your metabolism or something like that.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Dimuza » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:08 pm

I hope you get good news
Dimuza
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:24 pm

And people wonder why I constantly talk about how badly this country needs universal health care.... *sigh*

Good luck Ash, definitely check what health coverage your state offers, and see what qualifies you for medicaid, etc.

One other possibility I dunno that you've considered is this: Go to the university that has the hospital as a full time student, if you don't already have a bachelor's. Very often universities that have medical schools and a hospital will offer full coverage while you're a student, since they get to use you to train their med school people. They'd also have day care programs for your kid, etc. Frequently they'll even offer night classes or online classes, so you wouldn't have to cut back your work schedule too. Can't hurt to look into it.... Heck, why not build on what you do now for a living and go to college to become a full Registered Nurse? Pays really well, you get to help people, and I can about guarantee that whatever job you get as one, you'll get health coverage...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Martrae » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:32 pm

No, 'I'm sorries' from me. Just wishes for good news. <3
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Arlos wrote:And people wonder why I constantly talk about how badly this country needs universal health care.... *sigh*

Good luck Ash, definitely check what health coverage your state offers, and see what qualifies you for medicaid, etc.

One other possibility I dunno that you've considered is this: Go to the university that has the hospital as a full time student, if you don't already have a bachelor's. Very often universities that have medical schools and a hospital will offer full coverage while you're a student, since they get to use you to train their med school people. They'd also have day care programs for your kid, etc. Frequently they'll even offer night classes or online classes, so you wouldn't have to cut back your work schedule too. Can't hurt to look into it....

-Arlos

as a student at OSU, my health insurance is roughly $2000 a year, so this isn't a bad idea. The only difficulty is obtaining & maintaining that full time student status (12 credit hours of classes a quarter for OSU, might be different down there).

-Adam
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Narrock » Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Araby, try an over-the-counter product called Meclizine. It works wonders for dizziness.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby araby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:34 am

guys I need some advice...

I don't think this dizziness or imbalance is MS.

The imbalance thing has been going on since I had an injury with my right shoulder. I have to work my stomach muscles in order to get it to go into place and stay there...and then it doesn't stay there. It sounds kinda weird...but it's exactly what happens. I don't know any other way to describe it...I think there's more going on with this shoulder than my spine.

Also-the dizziness is worse and it's accompanying a cold. I woke up today more dizzy than before..and I feel it in between my ears and behind my nose.

I don't have a regular physician who knows me and my history...I don't have insurance so i can't go somewhere without them wanting payment up front..which i don't have.

Do i go back to the ER? They'll bill me there. i don't want them to think I'm loony and just have nothing better to do...but I know that I think it's worth finding out about these things that I do know is wrong-before I go doing a lumbar puncture to find out about something that in my opinion, just doesn't point enough in that direction.

basically i don't really know what to do. I have friend who'll drive me there...cause I'm pretty dizzy right now.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:41 am

Sounds like standard dehydration but if it's the bad thing it's Vertigo.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:44 am

I've been gulping water.

do you think i should take another day and gulp water before going?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:44 am

why are you always going to the ER? Do you have a doc in the box there..? Just a walk-in clinic? Everywhere I've lived has one of those, and they're way, way cheaper than the ER. We had to get a medical physical for Jonathan's immigration and that's where we went, when I broke my foot my insurance hadn't kicked in and that's where we went, too. Years ago before I had insurance that's always where I went.. they were more efficient than the ER and significantly smaller.

Every one I've been to has always had their services in tiers, a tier one visit costs x, tier two costs y, tier three costs z. I'd always go there if it's not something that I need attention right away on, and in your case in the ER they're not going to look at you as a 'right away' case unless you're passed out and rushed in. Every time I've been to the ER unless I couldn't breathe or something I had to wait.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:49 am

the doc in a box wants money up front and I don't have it.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 pm

really? that's a crappy doc in the box as far as billing goes, mine just mailed my bill and took 30 bucks up front

what about a cc? i always keep one for emergencies only.. saved my ass when I lost my job 2 years ago. and if you don't have that, there's always the option of care credit.. most facilities offer that nowadays, you just have to ask.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:20 pm

Any vomit? Any major stress besides the health issue? How much time does your kid willingly spend with you? (Yeah serious question)

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Vertigo, a specific type of dizziness, is a major symptom of a balance disorder. It is the sensation of spinning or swaying while the body is stationary with respect to the earth or surroundings. There are two types of vertigo: subjective and objective. Subjective vertigo is when a person feels a false sensation of movement. Objective vertigo is when the surroundings will appear to move past a person's field of vision.

The effects of vertigo may be slight. It can cause nausea and vomiting and, if severe, may give rise to difficulty with standing and walking.

The word "vertigo" comes from the Latin "vertere", to turn + the suffix "-igo", a condition = a condition of turning about.[1]

Contents [hide]
1 Causes of vertigo
2 Diagnostic testing
3 Treatment
4 References

[edit] Causes of vertigo
Vertigo is usually associated with a problem in the inner ear balance mechanisms (vestibular system), in the brain, or with the nerve connections between these two organs.

The most common cause of vertigo is benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, or BPPV. Vertigo can also be a symptom of an inner ear infection.

Vertigo can also be brought on suddenly through various actions or incidents, such as sudden changes of blood pressure or as a symptom of motion sickness while sailing, riding amusement rides, airplanes or in a motor vehicle.

Vertigo is typically classified into one of two categories depending on the location of the damaged vestibular pathway. These are peripheral or central vertigo. Each category has a distinct set of characteristics and associated findings.

[edit] Diagnostic testing
Tests of vestibular system (balance) function include electronystagmography (ENG), rotation tests, Caloric reflex test,[2] and Computerized Dynamic Posturography (CDP).

Tests of auditory system (hearing) function include pure-tone audiometry, speech audiometry, acoustic-reflex, electrocochleography (ECoG), otoacoustic emissions (OAE), and auditory brainstem response test (ABR; also known as BER, BSER, or BAER).

Other diagnostic tests include magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and computerized axial tomography (CAT, or CT).

[edit] Treatment
Treatment is specific for underlying disorder of vertigo.

Vestibular rehabilitation
anticholinergics
antihistamines
benzodiazepines
calcium channel antagonists, specifically Verapamil and Nimodipine
GABA modulators, specifically gabapentin and baclofen
Neurotransmitter reuptake inhibitors such as SSRI's, SNRI's and Tricyclics

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Martrae » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:49 pm

You probably have a deep inner ear infection, Ash. See a competent doc and get some meds for it.
Inside each person lives two wolves. One is loyal, kind, respectful, humble and open to the mystery of life. The other is greedy, jealous, hateful, afraid and blind to the wonders of life. They are in battle for your spirit. The one who wins is the one you feed.
Martrae
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Evermore » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:05 pm

You got blood pressure problems? will cause this too. thats how i found mine
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:48 pm

blood pressure normal, no vomiting...

I got some Dramamine since I'm already taking a cold remedy with decongestant. If that doesn't help the dizziness I'm just gonna wait it out til Monday when it's payday. I've been out of work this week because of the dizziness, it's caught me on the back end of the pay period and no, I don't have a credit card. My son is always willing to spend time with me. My right ear seems messed up but I don't have the means to see a Doctor right now and I had a friend come get me to take me to the ER but I can't bring myself to go and face the same people I saw two days ago and ask them to go a more subtle, conservative route. In addition to that-the bill is gonna be high as it is.

so Ashly's treatment: direct sunlight (which i am getting as I type this)
dramamine
water
rest
have a positive attitude
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:02 pm

Cholesterol?

I really doubt it's that though. She looked like a fit lady to me. Then again, smoking makes you more succeptable to random shits though. Any fatigue?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:06 pm

I don't know about my cholesterol, don't they do a test for that? haven't been tested as far as I know..
fatigue-no not really. I mean the dizziness kinda brings that on, I think. I don't think I'd feel fatigued if I weren't so dizzy. It's the kind of dizzy that really makes you wanna lay your head down, you know?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm

This sounds like an episode of House.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:06 pm

Put her on tetracycline and steroids. Do a brain biopsy and an MRI.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum