who's been a waiter before?

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Re: who's been a waiter before?

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:26 am

Drem wrote:throw in to the mix the fact that you're suffering from a stress and anger-related ailment, i get a pretty good idea of what type of customer you are

wtf

you have no clue what the hell you're talking about~

you read half a post about what Mart said bothered her colitis and assumed that's how it works for everyone? are you really that fucking stupid?

whatever, just bring me some fries and stfu while you're about it
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:37 am

My dad is the perfect example of the worst kind of customer for me. He makes stupid, unfunny comments to the server, wants her to stand around and chat and laugh at him...or his kids...all because he knows he's not gonna leave that much.

Almost every man I've waited on who is like my dad, doesn't tip well. My brothers and I have gotten it figured out now, since a few years ago even. When my dad takes us all out, he always picks up the check and we leave the tip. he's one of those people who doesn't get it...you don't leave $6 on a $50/60 check. bless his heart.

When I wait tables (and I'm kinda glad I might not have to do it anymore cause I get really anal over the dumbist shit...like straw wrappers) I don't hang around the table. I don't even tell you my name. Just about every table appreciates you being their server, not their best friend. Most people don't want you oogling over their child. Most people realize that you don't need to invest that much attention to the table, just fill the drinks and bring the food and make sure everybody is good. Do it with a smile and be quick.

but yah, every once in a while you get these three men, one of which can't stop making the stupid jokes, the other one who is apologizing for him, and the other who is quiet and serious. guess which one always picks up the check?! ha!

yah..I was crazy about stuff as a server. I had a serious issue with straws. After carrying them in my apron for the first few weeks, I noticed that some people like to extend their impatient arms out, in the direction of my business (which is always uncomfortable) and take a straw. So I stopped carrying them. Then I noticed that people threw their wrappers onto the floor. So I stopped giving them straws. When they would ask me for a straw, I would unwrap it for them, leaving the little straw hat part at the top, which is where I held it, and then hand it to them.

once a man asked me my name. when I told him my name he called me by it at least four times. do you know how on Scrubs "JD" will picture himself doing something ridiculous? I saw myself slap his face with my server book, then prancing off.

it's 2;36am and I am sorry for how long that was, seriously ha
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:41 am

Tikker wrote:
Drem wrote:throw in to the mix the fact that you're suffering from a stress and anger-related ailment, i get a pretty good idea of what type of customer you are

wtf

you have no clue what the hell you're talking about~

you read half a post about what Mart said bothered her colitis and assumed that's how it works for everyone? are you really that fucking stupid?

whatever, just bring me some fries and stfu while you're about it

lol knew you'd get pissed. thanks for proving my point

you're such a joke
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:58 am

I don't believe people should expect tips, or even "deserve" them per se, but fuck if I'm not one of those dumbasses who tips way too fucking much out of habit.

$7 drink, 3$ tip...I always look back and blame the alcohol, but I've always done that.

$14 meal, $5 tip...

They're just doing their job. :dunno:

My ex girlfriend's parents own a restaurant, I was there A LOT. That probably did it lol
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:00 am

Harrison wrote:I don't believe people should expect tips, or even "deserve" them per se, but fuck if I'm not one of those dumbasses who tips way too fucking much out of habit.

$7 drink, 3$ tip...I always look back and blame the alcohol, but I've always done that.

$14 meal, $5 tip...

They're just doing their job. :dunno:

My ex girlfriend's parents own a restaurant, I was there A LOT. That probably did it lol

at a bar i worked at there was a guy who'd order $1.50 coors lights and tip $5 a drink. in turn we took care of him for food and other stuff. he was a good guy. give and receive. weird concept for some people i guess
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:06 am

I spend a lot of time at the bowling alley near my house. I think for once in my life I got out what I put in one night. Really made my fucking day.

I was there some odd like 5 hours alone one time. Buying drinks and bowling hour after hour. (I usually bring my roommate but he wasn't home, and I'm friend-limited atm)

They ordered me a pizza and gave me a whole day free card to use whenever I wanted. Worked out because I was starving and didn't want to eat bowling alley food lol

Edit: I think that was the day I bowled a 225, I was so proud of myself...
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:15 am

"I don't believe people should expect tips, or even "deserve" them per se"

sorry, but you don't understand how it works. servers make 2.15/hour because servers get tips, which is done based on the *level* of service. I didn't make the rules, but that is how it is. in fact, I think it's pretty awful that those are the rules...but they aren't going to raise that amount, it's been the same amount forever, and the real problem I have with it, is that when you clock in, you're not always serving right away.

some days, you are there for an hour before tables are sat in your section. you're making 2.15/hr for a least a few hours every shift, before and after the rush of the day or night and not receiving tips at all.

people who wait tables have every right to expect and do deserve tips because that is how it works. how much they get, depends on the service they give, and whether or not the customer actually even realizes that their wage depends mostly on the tips.

on the other hand, people who go out to dine, need to have the money to cover their tip. if you don't wanna tip, serve yourself. that's how it works. you can say, "well if you're not making enough money waiting tables then find another job" but that basically means that you have no respect for the folks that are serving your food, yet you still go out and expect them to do it.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:25 am

I understand how it works even if I never fully experienced it myself. Not every state employs that same "mandate". (sorry, I've been really sick and today is the first day I can think straight so my vocabulary is absolute ASS still)

Things have changed here at least, for one thing that I DO know. You are required to report your tips to be taxed. This wasn't the case when I was a kid. (I remember my mom bitching that her waitresses were quitting as a result of this change) This may not be the case in every state. :dunno:

Some states waitstaff are required by law to be paid minimum wage regardless. If this has changed in the past few years, I apologize. It's not exactly up on my list of things to keep read up on. I only knew before because of so many friends etc. were in the business so closely. As I said, my ex girlfriend's parents owned a restaurant I spent a good deal of time at working sometimes, and more often, not.

I apologize if that is jumbled. I'm struggling to pump my thoughts out properly still.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:49 am

np I wouldn't doubt that other states are smart enough to raise the minimum on that, or that south carolina still hasn't :wink:
but yah I have no idea, just figured it was like that everywhere.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:51 am

actually...now that I think about it, how in the world could all the folks in new york and california survive on that. they *must* get paid much more...cause almost every young person in both states in big cities work in food/bev during college or right after.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby leah » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:27 am

harri i will go bowling with you :D no one ever wants to go bowling with me.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:54 am

araby wrote:people who wait tables have every right to expect and do deserve tips because that is how it works. how much they get, depends on the service they give

I think the point some are trying to make, that you guys are missing is that in a lot of cases waiters sometimes assume they deserve XXX amount, and just don't put in the effort to earn that

as paying customers, we really don't give a fuck that you make 2 bucks an hour. we're out for a nice meal, with decent service. worrying that wally waiter is only making 2 bucks an hour isn't even vaguely our concern, and it never should be
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Evermore » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:51 pm

tikk has it right, my wife is a waitress. makes damn good money at it too. but its because of the service you give. while a typical tip is roughly 15 to 18% of the bill I will tip out 20, 25% or more for good service. the servers that do the basics i leave as little as possible. Hell one guy was so bad I left him a quarter and did the waterglass trick. Its the servers that realize why they are there who do the best job and get the best tips.
For you
Evermore
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Drem » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:42 pm

which is exactly what we've been saying.... i have a hard time believing anyone here is arguing to tip a server that did a bad job.

and fyi ashly, here in oregon servers make base pay of minimum wage ($7.90 atm, gonna be $8.40 in january) so maybe you should come serve here. in fact, my last job was paying the servers $9.50+ and paying the cooks minimum wage .... servers still got all the tips ... needless to say, the management had no idea what it was doing and the place closed after a quick 4 year run
Last edited by Drem on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:49 pm

Drem wrote:which is exactly what we've been saying.... i have a hard time believing anyone here is arguing to tip a server that did a bad job.

there are tho....which is why the thread has continued ;)

people have this preconceived notion that waiters should get a tip regardless of the level of service they provide

I disagree

that's it~
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:11 pm

Tikker wrote:
Drem wrote:which is exactly what we've been saying.... i have a hard time believing anyone here is arguing to tip a server that did a bad job.

there are tho....which is why the thread has continued ;)

people have this preconceived notion that waiters should get a tip regardless of the level of service they provide

I disagree

that's it~

I wasn't arguing that, just in case that is what you thought. even just making 2.15/hr I still busted ass to make sure I did a fine job taking care of folks. I think I'd still bust ass making 7/hr.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:13 pm

araby wrote:
I wasn't arguing that, just in case that is what you thought. even just making 2.15/hr I still busted ass to make sure I did a fine job taking care of folks. I think I'd still bust ass making 7/hr.

you should probably bust your ass regardless of the wage...
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that's what I just said.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:42 pm

leah wrote:no one ever wants to go bowling with me.

and how many times have you asked :P
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:03 am

I'm such a sucker.

I left a $5 tip for a $5 breakfast because she looked saddened. :(
Maybe her day is a tiny bit better at least.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:04 am

I left a $2 tip for a $4 bill... small coffee shop. Got 2 lattes & 2 walnut pastries for that... it was exquisite.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby leah » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:19 am

i had a really crappy latte this morning and it bummed me out :( skinny vanilla lattes (nonfat, sugar-free!) are my reward for getting up in the morning to go work out, and it was a big bummer to have what tasted like just plain iced coffee with some half-n-half in it. i didn't have time to go back, though. boo.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby 10sun » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:18 am

I'm taking pictures of the lattes & pastries next time I go there... it was beautiful.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby leah » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:03 pm

best latte + pastry i ever had was at the corner cafe nearest our hotel in venice. it was as if i'd died and gone to heaven--amazing freshly baked brioche and a perfect latte. they also had some of the best fresh-squeezed orange juice i've ever had.

man i gotta get back there someday . . . maybe whenever the poop and i get married, we can go back to italy for our honeymoon.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Drem » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:20 pm

when i worked at the wine shop/bistro we used completely organic ingredients in everything, right? the orange juice we squeezed for breakfast was unreal. organic fruit is mind-blowing. and organic grapes taste better than candy

oh PS: first day was last week. we served a 350 persons event for the local blood bank, which was holding its yearly dinner where it commemorates all of its most prolific donors etc. it was pretty good. one of the bonuses to working at a college, i guess, is that our kitchen is obviously the home of the culinary program, and all the food is just amazing. and they threw me back in the kitchen to help because my experience etc., before the event started and I had to serve. i might actually dig this job k
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

PreviousNext

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum