Last Week's Thing

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Last Week's Thing

Postby araby » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:35 pm

Kinoki foot pads.

We slept with them on our feet, the next morning I put one on my lower back.
We also released toxins by pushing pressure points around the TMJ/ear area, which will alleviate urge to chew and grind.

All this, after finding the oldest child chewing on his tongue at 10pm on a school night. When I asked him, "What are you chewing on?" with my hand out to retrieve it, he said, "My tongue." He asked, "Well, what am I gonna chew on?"

I told him he wasn't a cow, didn't have a cud, and didn't need to chew, but if he *felt* like chewing I could do something to help it. So I released the toxins in that area but pushing those pressure points. He immediately started laughing, giggling and wriggling around, so his brother of course wanted his toxins released as well.

I did that twice for both children, afterward letting their mom know that her oldest one grinds his teeth and clenches during the day, probably due to the Avance he takes for ADHD. Which is a bullshit diagnosis, and this kid and I are about to sit down at 4:30 and do homework for an hour. I'm going to be his tutor. She's not sure I can do it. I think we'll do fine.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Re: Last Week's Thing

Postby Jennay » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:06 am

So do they really work?
Jennay
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:04 am

the general feedback that I've gotten on them is that they're a total scam.. lots of scam reports out there - I think it was last year that 20/20 did an investigation on them. a shame too because the idea is pretty neat-o.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby araby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:06 am

It worked for us, as far as releasing toxins goes. It isn't a permanent solution though, so it requires a little maintenance. We should be pushing toxins out regularly. If something huge happens we might just flip the entire house upside down and see if that works. Til then, it's kinoki pads, pressure points, lacross and good food.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:38 am

how do you know it released toxins, though? I don't want to be debbie downer, I just don't want precious you wasting precious money. the 20/20 investigation concluded that the pads turned that color due to moisture (they used distilled water in a test) and the gunk inside didn't contain any of the toxins represented in the ads.

I want to get them just to see the grossness, personally.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby vonkaar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:46 am

:ugh:
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby araby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:49 am

Perhaps they couldn't see the toxins when they did their study. Maybe they are the *kind* of toxins you can't see. Like stress for instance...you can't draw blood on someone, test it, and say, "I see stress in your body!"

But you can draw conclusions from certain "stress tests" that let you know if it's contributing to health problems.

Anyway, the ingredients in the sachet that goes on the bottom of your foot, under the sticky pad that sticks it on, includes

Bamboo Vinegar
benefits here http://www.ghchealth.com/bamboo-vinegar.html

Tourmaline
something on benefit here on another detox site http://www.twilighttherapy.com/page/page/4394640.htm

it also has emollient base and lavender essential oil.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby vonkaar » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am

I've been such a negative nancy on NT lately, so I'm not going to post what I was initially writing. Soooo... if this works for you, cool. Keep it going. =)
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Gidan » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:50 am

If I had to make a guess, I would say its the placebo effect. Your told it will remove toxins from your system which is an extremely broad statement. You use it and expect that's what its doing. It physically changes to show you its doing something. As a result you feel better.

In general though, if using them makes you feel better, then keep using them.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:33 pm

How is that different from a pill?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gidan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:33 am

There really is no difference. If they had offered a pill rather then the foot pads and gave you the same story, the pill would probably have had the same effect. The only real difference is that the foot pads were designed to give you tangible "proof" that it was working. They tell you that you will be able to see the toxins that are removed and amazingly enough, after using it you can see them, therefor it must be working so you must be better.

Beyond just the placebo effect, the product claims to help with things that are generally caused by the mind rather then physical ailments. Many such ailments can be cured my simply allowing the feelings causing them to go. This however is not as easy as it sounds which anyone who is constantly under stress can attest to. You would probably see the same results from simple meditation IF you believe that meditation works. The foot pads are just easier because they provide physical "proof" they are working.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:04 pm

But in all reality they aren't doing dick.

This is why a lot of things that people say work aren't actually working moreso that they are psychologically causing bullshit to become "real".

You aren't going to cure a massive bacterial infection with such BS, for example.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:21 pm

But Harrison, how do you know they aren't clearing toxins?

Also, it doesn't say on the box it'd cure anything at all. It just says it is a form of detox.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Arlos » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:29 pm

Exactly what "toxins" are they supposedly withdrawing? The only way your body is going to express any chemicals through the skin is via sweating. (much more commonly, of course, it gets rid of improper chemicals through peeing) I don't see any possible way 1 variety of foot pad is going to not only cause more sweating in the feet than normal, or more than would be caused by any other foot pad, but also externally trigger the sweat glands to somehow start expressing "toxins" as part of the normal sweat response?

No, this is a fail of a product. Not quite as epic a fail as the following, but pretty epic:

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:30 pm

In this case I personally don't.

I know nothing of this product or what it claims to do other than what I've read here.

I was speaking generally about placebo effect and other similar things.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:34 pm

araby wrote:But Harrison, how do you know they aren't clearing toxins?

Also, it doesn't say on the box it'd cure anything at all. It just says it is a form of detox.

The other question you can ask it "How do you know they are clearing toxins?"

The only proof you have is that they tell you it does and that the pad changes colors. It has already been shown that distilled water will also change the color of the pad. Distilled water is about as pure as you get, there is a reason its used in experiments when you need water. The evidence presented by people testing the product is showing that they do not do anything but react with the moisture present on your body. As Arlos stated, how exactly is it removing toxins and what toxins is it removing? I have yet to see anywhere what toxins it actually removes and that in itself would concern me.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I understand, but I knew my toxins weren't physically coming out in the pad at the end of the night, just like I know that when I open up an ear candle that wax isn't from my ear. It's just an exit, it's Chinese Homeopathy. Like Accupuncture. If someone bought this and expected physical toxins to fill the pad when they were done, that's kinda silly. You can read about the product and find out what it does and the benefits. I didn't pay any money for the pads. You can put the pads anywhere on your body, really. It's not the pad, it's what is in the pad, it's not the foot, but a good place to start. Also, blowing your nose is another good way to remove toxins.

Anyway, I wonder if an advertising company owns kinoki. Did you know Nike isn't a shoe store? It's an advertising company.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:35 pm

What does Cancer look like?
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 pm

glop
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:46 am

araby wrote:What does Cancer look like?

Depends on the type. At the cellular level it looks like regular cells without boundary markers.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby araby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:36 am

I just read a neat blog on how cancer distorts what it's around, and changes the way the structure looks. Interesting. Reminds me of this girl I knew who was a microbiologist, and she thought even the ugliest things under a microscope were indeed very beautiful.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:22 am

So I was just looking in the mirror in the bathroom and saw the kinoki foot pad box and it says, "formulated in japan" and "absorbs impurities while you sleep."

I don't know. I need to walk the dogs.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:21 am

I have a bridge I'd like to sell
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:00 pm

real detox is a huge process. you have to change your diet, buy deodorant w/o anti-persperant, and all sorts of new-agey silly crap so you can sweat it all out over the course of a month or two or something like that.

you did mention massaging points on the body, tho, and massaging all the different lymph nodes to encourage something or another is one of the things they do during detox
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Foutty » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:44 pm

"Did you know Nike isn't a shoe store? It's an advertising company."

Uh, what?
Foutty
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum