For when I leave to BCT.

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

For when I leave to BCT.

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:53 pm

The best way to contact me once I go is:

joshua.ian.harrison@us.army.mil

I ship May 22nd to Ft. Benning, GA.
Then it's off to Ft. Sam Houston, TX.

Who knows when I'll see it or answer it. But I will sooner or later within the next year...

I should be back home around Novemberish.

You can always PM me here and whatnot. I'll have the same chance of seeing it here as anywhere.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: For when I leave to BCT.

Postby Harrison » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:54 pm

For those who weren't aware I am going to be a Combat Medic.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:10 am

You will not get be able to check your email while your in BCT, however once you get to Sam Houston, you will probably get a chance after a few weeks.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:20 pm

Nah, I'll be able to check it quasi regularly. Things have changed. (though I doubt it will have at Benning in comparison to some slackass site like Jackson) Fuck...even Benning is going co-ed. That's fucking stupid.

They allow you to use cell phones, computers now and then, etc.

I know this because my little brother just went through BCT and is at AIT right now.

I also get weekends off at Ft. Sam Houston.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:22 pm

BCT has gone so relaxed its lame. I don't even think they should allow phone calls, but computer time is just ridicules. AIT on the other hand I think is too strict. They should have you trained and in the mindset of a soldier before you are allowed to leave BCT and at AIT they should treat you as a soldier not as a child. BCT has become a joke, there is far to much concern about hurting your feelings now.

BCT should be harsh and completely isolated from your old life for the full time you are there. The people you left behind are a distraction, you are there to learn how to act as a soldier. My Drill Sgts had to constantly watch every word they said to ensure they didn't offend the delicate sensibilities of the trainees. They are required to give you a full 8 hours of sleep now, hell the Drill Sgts were not even allowed in the barracks after lights out to ensure that we go a full 8 hours of sleep.

Good luck in training though, I thought I was completely prepared for what was coming when I went through but I wasn't even close.

First and foremost, EVERYTHING you recruiter has told you is crap. People always think their recruiter was different, their NOT. They are trained to say everything they say right up to the parts where they claim they are telling you "secrets" about training. Everything is rehearsed to make you sign up.

Don't bother buying any new running shoes before you leave, more them likely they will force you to buy a new pair from their selected pairs when you get there anyway. The less you have with you when you get there, the better. Bring non scented deodorant, soap and shampoo, if it has a scent you will just have to toss it and buy more anyway. Don't waste $$ on a boot polishing kit (yet they sell them and recommend them). A still brush and laundry detergent work great. You will get 2 pairs of boots, make damn sure they fit BEFORE you take them and do everything you can to break in both pairs, you will be sorry if you only break in 1 pair.

In BCT, sick call is evil. It doesn't matter how much you hurt of how sick you feel, stay away from it. Its 11 weeks or so in total, you will survive. The last thing you want to do is miss an important event and get dumped back into a different company that has not yet done that event because you went to sick call.

Word of warning, don't fall asleep in classes for the first couple weeks. It really is damn hard to stay awake. They are boring as hell, generally the classrooms are warm (they do this on purpose) and the classes are boring to say the least. I have been through years of school and I have never had such a hard time staying awake. Also, don't let reception get you down. It sucks, its boring but its temporary. 16 hours a day of doing jack shit, food was decent though for me at least.

If you cant do it yet, you really want to be able to score 60,60,60 on your PT before you even get there. It will make your life considerably easier. When it comes to run groups in BCT, you ALWAYS want to be in the run group ahead of where they put you. If your stuck in a run group right at your ability, you will not improve at all. Morning PT is a joke, do it on your own at night.

When you go on ruck marches, if you get blisters on your feet easily, an easy fix is to wear a pare of your dress socks underneath your wool socks. It helps a lot. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS use the restroom before you go whether you have to or not. Nothing worse then being 2 hours into a 5 hour march and having to pee.

Before you go, you should already have memorized your 7 core army values, first 3 general orders, the soldiers creed and the entire rank structure. It will save you a lot of hassle later on. You will get a handbook in reception, read it cover to cover. Honestly you will probably be so bored in reception it will seem like entertainment anyway. By the end of BCT I think I read it over 20 times cover to cover.

Sunday religious service, goto something. Doesn't matter if you believe in it or not just go to something. It gives you some time away from the DS and its relaxing. If you dont go, generally you will just be cleaning the barracks and annoying the DS because you didn't go and they have to deal with you. I had a bunch of non Buddhist go with me to Buddhist service simply because it was extremely relaxing (dont fall asleep though).

Final word of advise, its much easier to follow the rules and do what your told. Its such a short period of time, it really makes no sense to push the rules, just follow them and it will be much easier on you and everyone around you. You will however still get punished for all the stupid people who insist on breaking the rules, just don't be one of them.

If there is anything you want to know about, let me know and I be more then happy to share my experience.
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:29 pm

Yeah, having so many friends already gone through this(about 5 or so) I am as prepared as I am going to be. Thanks though, I was already told all this numerous times heh
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Jay » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 am

I dunno if I should say grats, good luck, be careful or what. I don't really know what you're heading into but take whatever well wishing from me that is appropriate for your situation =P
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby araby » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:08 am

yah stay in the moment good luck have fun
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Harrison » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:58 pm

Jay wrote:I dunno if I should say grats, good luck, be careful or what. I don't really know what you're heading into but take whatever well wishing from me that is appropriate for your situation =P

The main thing I have to worry about is heat exhaustion/stroke.

It's only training. I'm not being deployed, yet.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Drink alot, the training itself is a joke.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:07 pm

Yeah, I've been physically preparing myself for this for a long time now. I'm still over regulation weight but WELL under the body fat percentage requirement.

Getting myself under 185 just isn't practical right now *shrug* I got there at one point in the beginning of my efforts but it shot back up as my muscle mass went up. I'm at 200 even right now again.

I can run 2 miles in about 14-15 depending on the day and how well rested I am. Pushups still slacking but I nail situps like they're my bitch.

It would be nice, and I doubt it will happen, to nail 90s in the APFT. Guys my size almost never do though, so I'm not holding my breath.

I have a huge advantage over a lot of active duty recruits in that I've been going to drills and other miscellaneous training for months now. I won't show up and be a deer caught in headlights.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:37 pm

Pushups are easy, dont lower yourself down simply let all your weight drop. when you hit the ground you will bounce a bit, use that to assist you in getting back up. Dy simply doing that we had people go from 20 - 30 to the mid 40's overnight. It saves a ton of energy on the way down and makes each pushup a bit easier.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:40 pm

It works even better for situps, bouncing off your shoulders.

I don't want to cheat.

People seriously underestimate my aversion to lying and cheating.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby araby » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:03 am

me too, harrison
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gaazy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:28 pm

thats gay, they let you have cell p hones and computer access and all that shit in boot camp? I thought they were supposed to be teachin you to be warriors and bad asses and shit? But they let you have all the ameneties? Sounds like a home away from home
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:41 pm

They figured out that psychologically, people are more receptive to training that way.

It's not like I'm going to get to use the internet every day or a phone. It will probably be once a week, sunday, after the first few weeks.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Even when I went through they allowed phone calls on Sundays. Sunday nights and Mondays were miserable because half the damn company amazingly forgot what they had learned every time they had contact with home. They should do away with it, isolation from your home life for the length of BCT, its not that long.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 pm

I don't entirely disagree with that, either.

I'm going to hate the kids already. I know it.

I fucking hate going to training as it is now with 18 year-old kids. They never shut the fuck up and are always screwing up.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gaazy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:39 pm

yeah, I thought that was kind of the whole damn point of the stuff
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:42 pm

They've pretty much done away with the overtly abusive manner of Basic a long time ago.

They're teaching you to be ready for combat situations and a military lifestyle, not program you like a tool.

The people in today's military aren't draftees. We volunteered for this.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Arlos » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:52 pm

How intense the basic training is also varies with the service.

Army basic is 9 weeks.

Marines is just over 12, and is, from everything I could find, rather more intense than the Army training.

Navy and Coast Guard is 8 weeks.

Air Force USED to be 6.5 weeks, but within the last year or so they upped that to 8.5. Probably still the easiest basic, though, from all accounts I've found.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:58 pm

Basic is 10 weeks not counting processing. Advanced training depends on your MOS. Combat Medic is 16+ weeks.

Marines don't do much else different in basic except focus more on the rifle. They probably treat you like a bigger piece of shit, but that varies depending on where you went, too.

I don't know about the Navy or Air Force. All of my friends are Marines and Army.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:05 pm

Example of varying difficulties depending on where you went to basic:

My brother went to Ft. Leonard Wood. Told me it was pathetically easy.

My friend Nick went to Jackson and said it was hell.

Everyone else I know that went to Jackson said it was cake, though.

A lot of my friends went to Benning and said, "Good luck. But, you're going to love it."

Ft. Benning has a reputation for being brutal. :dunno:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gidan » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:58 pm

Leonard Wood is a joke, its not producing soldiers but the majority of its graduates are smartass kids or adults who think they know better then their superiors because they are older. They are never put in their place and IMO it hurts the Army in general.

The AirForce basic is a joke, but then again the service is not a front line service. The purpose of their basic is to teach military structure and memorization of rules and conduct. Hell they complain about their 6 month tours of duty in 4 star resorts.
Gidan
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby araby » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Army basic is nine weeks but they tell you to plan for at least 11, depending on processing. some take 9, some 10, some 11. Harrison, I just moved to Fort Bragg. It's really ugly here. I hope you end up somewhere prettier. If I decide to enlist, I won't be asking for this place.
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum