This one is for the cooks out there

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

This one is for the cooks out there

Postby Tikker » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:19 pm

does anyone know of a website that helps to coordinate flavours?

I'm not sure if I can explain this properly or not, but what I'm looking for is a basic guideline on how to combine certain flavours

or maybe perhaps finding complementary flavours is more what I'm talking about

like, for instance, most people know that garlic and oregano go pretty good together

and that stuff like fenel, anise, star anise etc all kind of have that distinctive black licorice flavour to different degrees

I understand that what I'm asking for is years of chef school to be compressed into a webpage, but I'm sure there's probably something out there that has something simple set up
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: This one is for the cooks out there

Postby Drem » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:35 pm

buy a book called The Flavor Bible. it should be along the lines of what you're looking for

also really old cookbooks are the best for this imo because they aren't lost in the midst of nouvelle cuisine like everything is nowadays. i have a book called McCall's Introduction to Italian Cooking that is just absolutely loaded with traditional, mostly-authentic Italian, written in NYC in 1963. things like that are cooking goldmines

ultimately just looking at classical recipes will give you the foundation from each ethnicity of what goes with what and you can pick and choose and transfer those flavors to different methods of cooking at will

the website: http://bigoven.com/ingredientcombinations.aspx lets you enter in what ingredients you have and it suggests what you could make. that sort of thing is pretty handy too but i'm not sure if it's really what you're looking for
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:28 pm

i don't know if you looked into any of that because you're not responding but the Food Bible people also make a Bread and Cake bible. all of those books are basically incredible
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Razumihin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:07 pm

Sorry I misread this thread topic. I clicked on here expecting something for cocks.
Razumihin
NT Bixie
NT Bixie

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum