It's getting close enough to announce it officially here.

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

It's getting close enough to announce it officially here.

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:00 pm

As anyone who already has me added on Facebook knows or even talked to me for at least 30 seconds the past few weeks lol (It's all I think about from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep, and even have started having dreams about.)

The first week of June(usually the first, but weather dictates this ultimately), when Baxter State Park in Maine opens, I am leaving to complete one of my life's dreams.

I'm doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

I've been deep into the planning, gearing, and physical conditioning phase for quite some time now. I'm primarily going to be using Facebook to update people on my progress along the way supplemented with texts to some people for more personal shit lol

I'll also be updating my longitude and latitude every night, cell signal permitting, to let people "track" me via Google earth. (The devices that do this automatically charge for that feature.)
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Re: It's getting close enough to announce it officially here.

Postby Harrison » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:01 pm

inb4 "When are you biking across the country?"

The answer is, "Probably next year..."

It's another one of my life dreams that I plan on completing, and have the ability to do.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:44 pm

Won't happen
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:34 pm

I wasn't asking for irrelevant opinions from nobodies who can barely walk upstairs without breathing heavy. :cool6:
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:37 pm

If you are planning on carrying an Android phone, use the app: My Tracks.
Just gotta figure out how to keep things charged.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:47 pm

Goal0 solar charger on the top of my pack and when stopped to eat etc. weather permitting. (Read a lot of great reviews on backpacker forums and sites. It came highly recommended and very few bad reviews, which I suspect are from morons misusing it.)

There is always the ability to charge my shit when I cross near enough to a town, too. I'm not bringing an expensive phone with me that won't likely survive the trip lol

The Goal0 charger can also be charged via USB so I can charge the internal battery on that and be good for a week, too.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:52 pm

Harrison wrote:I wasn't asking for irrelevant opinions from nobodies who can barely walk upstairs without breathing heavy. :cool6:

not even close, but nice try

some of us here have actually accomplished things in life

here's a hint

you're not on that list
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:38 am

maybe not but let him try :P

anyway harrison if you sniff around on the net you can find a cheap and easy DIY mod that will let you use one of those handcranks to generate a trickle charge for your phone

similarly i know you can make a solar-powered trickle charger for less than it would cost to buy one
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:12 am

Everything I've heard from past thru-hikers and read on boards for us now, those hand crank chargers are a joke.

Even if I only make it a THIRD of the way, that is an accomplishment most people will never come close to in their lives.

The only thing that will stop me is injury, or death.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:44 am

Tikker wrote:
Harrison wrote:I wasn't asking for irrelevant opinions from nobodies who can barely walk upstairs without breathing heavy. :cool6:

not even close, but nice try

some of us here have actually accomplished things in life

here's a hint

you're not on that list

Someone here seems upset with their lack of accomplishments in life.

Here's a hint

You're on that list

From what I know, you've pumped out a kid, good job! You're on par with pond scum. *clap* you can spread!
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tikker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:53 pm

You can talk if you ever accomplish anything
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:26 pm

*yawn* Again, no one cares about your opinion. No one. You're an insignificant entity on these boards no one would care about if you were to drop off.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:06 am

ladies please, break it up
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Maeya » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:22 am

Good luck, Harrison!
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:11 pm

Harrison wrote:As anyone who already has me added on Facebook knows or even talked to me for at least 30 seconds the past few weeks lol (It's all I think about from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep, and even have started having dreams about.)

The first week of June(usually the first, but weather dictates this ultimately), when Baxter State Park in Maine opens, I am leaving to complete one of my life's dreams.

I'm doing a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

I've been deep into the planning, gearing, and physical conditioning phase for quite some time now. I'm primarily going to be using Facebook to update people on my progress along the way supplemented with texts to some people for more personal shit lol

I'll also be updating my longitude and latitude every night, cell signal permitting, to let people "track" me via Google earth. (The devices that do this automatically charge for that feature.)

Good luck on the hike. Sounds like a lot of fun.

I think Tikker in his negative method is simply saying you may need some career goals. Last I read you were trying to go in the military. Are you still living with your sister? Do you have a career started or even planned? Life moves pretty fast. Fun goals are good, but one also need some sort of professional ones, also.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:06 pm

horrendously off-topic but lyion when i read your new sig i thought it said "trannies"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:55 pm

There's lots of trannies in San Francisco. Has anyone here ever been to San Francisco? Thoughts?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:48 am

I heard you used to live in San Francisco, does that mean you used to be a tranny?
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:29 am

no but i'm starting a joke band with a couple of friends called "granny tranny panty shanty"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Lyion » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:24 pm

brinstar wrote:horrendously off-topic but lyion when i read your new sig i thought it said "trannies"

Someone appears to be having a good weekend. Make up a good slogan about the tyranny of the tranny testicles and I'll make it my new sig, npnp.

I grew up in Cali, and lived in both Northern and Southern and I've been to San Fran many, many times. I never saw a tranny once.

In my much shorter times in Dallas and Atlanta they seemed to be everywhere.

That red state/blue state thing is a fib. The cake is a lie.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Harrison, I've been looking into backpacking for quite some time now, and talking to professional backpackers and bloggers on the subject. A couple things I learned is that you will want to get an internal frame pack, not external. Also get a 0 degree bag or -15 degree bag. You'll also want a hammock with a bug net, like the Eno double nest. Most importantly, get a Katadyn Micro filter for water. The Micro is the most recommended water filtration system by professional backpackers. Here's a link so you see what it looks like, but don't buy it at REI... do a google search on it. I got mine on Amazon for $229.

http://www.rei.com/product/653573/katad ... utput-hose

http://www.rei.com/search?query=eno+dou ... button.y=0
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby 10sun » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:07 pm

brinstar wrote:no but i'm starting a joke band with a couple of friends called "granny tranny panty shanty"

Photo from Fort Lauderdale... not quite safe for life.
Spoiler for :
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:18 pm

Narrock wrote:Harrison, I've been looking into backpacking for quite some time now, and talking to professional backpackers and bloggers on the subject. A couple things I learned is that you will want to get an internal frame pack, not external. Also get a 0 degree bag or -15 degree bag. You'll also want a hammock with a bug net, like the Eno double nest. Most importantly, get a Katadyn Micro filter for water. The Micro is the most recommended water filtration system by professional backpackers. Here's a link so you see what it looks like, but don't buy it at REI... do a google search on it. I got mine on Amazon for $229.

I don't like the hammock systems, though they're super light.

I also don't like pumps, they're time consuming and have a high failure rate. I'm going with activated chlorine for several reasons. Weight, taste, safety, and reliability.

My sleeping bag is rated at +20 in the "comfortable" range. Most of my hike is going to be in the summer months. I won't be seeing ANY days under 30 on the AT, even in Baxter.

My pack is the Teton Sports Fox 5200, my tent is the Eureka Solo Spitfire, my bag is the Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20, etc.

I've done the research, and gone over my gear list with a coworker who has actually done this and he thinks I'm more prepared than anyone he's seen going into it their first time. I've also read his journals he kept on the trail, good shit.

Now for the fucking terrible news. I'm moving to New Jersey. I won't have the money saved up I'll need to do a thru-hike, so it's on hold until next season. Or...I'll do a section of it in the summer closer to where I'm moving to. (Lawrenceville, New Jersey)

The bright side is I've got all of the gear minus miscellaneous extras, and the practice, out of the way. The trail isn't going anywhere, it will be there next season.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:19 pm

P.S. the move to New Jersey is super short notice. I'm going to be down there anywhere from the 28th to the 1st, already.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:43 pm

Harrison wrote:
Narrock wrote:Harrison, I've been looking into backpacking for quite some time now, and talking to professional backpackers and bloggers on the subject. A couple things I learned is that you will want to get an internal frame pack, not external. Also get a 0 degree bag or -15 degree bag. You'll also want a hammock with a bug net, like the Eno double nest. Most importantly, get a Katadyn Micro filter for water. The Micro is the most recommended water filtration system by professional backpackers. Here's a link so you see what it looks like, but don't buy it at REI... do a google search on it. I got mine on Amazon for $229.

I don't like the hammock systems, though they're super light.

I also don't like pumps, they're time consuming and have a high failure rate. I'm going with activated chlorine for several reasons. Weight, taste, safety, and reliability.

My sleeping bag is rated at +20 in the "comfortable" range. Most of my hike is going to be in the summer months. I won't be seeing ANY days under 30 on the AT, even in Baxter.

My pack is the Teton Sports Fox 5200, my tent is the Eureka Solo Spitfire, my bag is the Mountain Hardwear Pinole 20, etc.

I've done the research, and gone over my gear list with a coworker who has actually done this and he thinks I'm more prepared than anyone he's seen going into it their first time. I've also read his journals he kept on the trail, good shit.

Now for the fucking terrible news. I'm moving to New Jersey. I won't have the money saved up I'll need to do a thru-hike, so it's on hold until next season. Or...I'll do a section of it in the summer closer to where I'm moving to. (Lawrenceville, New Jersey)

The bright side is I've got all of the gear minus miscellaneous extras, and the practice, out of the way. The trail isn't going anywhere, it will be there next season.

Say hi to Snookie and Jwow... Jwow... /drool
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum