Mops Killer Workout

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Postby Mop » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:29 am

Ok here are two different work outs, the first being a more traditional split that should run like 45 min. The second being a more functional full body work out that runs about an hour and burns more calories but you do it less.

Traditional Split: rest time inbetween sets start at about 75 seconds work down to 30 second rests.

Day 1: Cardio and Chest.

need 20 min high intesity warm up , sprint intervals, jogging, whatever get the Heart rate high.

then to follow we are doing chest and abs: little rest involved keep hr high you are not trying to become Arnold.

Series one ( do 3 sets )
Push ups with rotation ( start off not using the dumbells for this motion, only use dumbells once you get comfortable with it) then to a floor crunch after
1Image 2Image 3Image

Series 2 is a flat dumbell press ( four sets increase weight every time if possible ) start with 15-20 reps work to 7 or 8 reps. then a leg raise
ImageImage

Series 3 Chest Flyes followed by a plank position: 4 sets
Chest flyes are the basic movement, the plank is an abdominal movement to create balance and strength. You want to hold the plank from 15-60 seconds at least.

Plank: is basically a midpushup position. go down so your arms are at 90 degree bend in the elbow then hold that position, hips and back staying in allignment. Focus on squeezing your belly button to your spine.

Series 4 : Frontal raises with dumbells 3 sets
3 easy sets of frontal raises to get the upper chest alittlemore work.

Day Two: Laterals and Hamstrings : + cardio
start with 20 - 30 min of high intensity cardio

Series One: 4 sets
Stiff leg deadlift and bent over row. THIS IS A COMPLICATED MOVE
Image - Start : stand upright, hands just outside the thighs knees slightly bent shoulders back head strait forward

Image - to start move your weight onto your heals and stick your butt out causing your body to tip foward at your hips. You only want to go as far down as you can with your back staying 100% strait and your shoulders back. At this point we start the Row.
Image Pull the bar, or dumbells to your belly button keeping your back strait the entire time. Lower the bar back down then come back up to the starting position.

Each rep take a sec and gather yourself and make sure you are doing it right

Series 2: 4 sets
Lunge with Row

Basic lunge out, keep body weight even and don't try and go to fast, alternate legs.

the Row is a basic row one are at a time : One hand pulls up with the elbow close to the body keep the back strait when you lean over

Series 3 Back Ext with hip thrust 4 sets

Back Ext : Lie Flat on your stomach, raise your feet off the ground then lift your arms/chest up off the ground. then back down and repeat

Hip thrust : roll over on your back feet couple inches away from your ass. Push your hips off the ground creating a bridge squeezing your abs together as you do so.

Day 3 Cardio 30-40 minutes low intesity rest a bit

Day 4 Legs oh goody

Squats, squats, squats, squats, squats.... = P

Series One Toe jump squats

With no weights at all on this one: 4 sets

ImageImage

Series two 4 sets
Normal deadlifts: like a squat except weight is in the front, make sure to keep your hips loose and back strong and strait.

Series three Traditional Squats 4 sets

Just keep the weight in the heals and your knees behind your toes.

Day 5 Shoulders (bleh ) and abs
20-30 min moderate high intensity cardio

Series one:
MIlitary press, standing and ab crunch 4 sets
ImageImage

Series 2: Side raises , floor leg raise 4 sets

Series 3 Delt Row

Day 6 Arms and shit

basically whatever you like

Curls/ dips/ overhead press for tri incline curls just try and do them together

IE : CUrl and a dip back to back

Day 7 OFF

Tomorrow or monday I will post the full body split. and we can start discussing proper running form to prevent injuries and make it easier on the body.
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Full body version

Postby Mop » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:25 am

This is really aimed at people with less time. It only needs to be done 3 times a week and a day inbetween with cardio Ie 20 min walk, anything that gets HR going doesn't have to be high intensity. This is a much more difficult work out though

Set one x 3 45 second to 1.5 min rest depends on how you feel
Deadlift to dumbell row to back ext
Deadlift:
Image Image

Dumbell Row:(picture is with tubing, use same motion with dumbells )

Back Ext:
lay flat on your stomach, raise one leg and the oppisite arm, alternate through a set of 20 or so to open up the spinal colum

After you do 3 sets of this 5 min of cardio , jumping jacks, jumprope, running, incline walking, hill climbers

Set two : 3 sets
Upright Row -> Lunge - > Floor Crunch
Upright ROw:

Lunge:

after these 3 sets again 5 min cardio to get the hr up high

Set 3: 3 sets
Dumbell chest Press ->standing shoulder Press -> Plank

Plank:
Image (HOLD FOR AS LONG AS POSSILBE

again 5 min cardio afterwards

Set 4: 3 sets
Bench dips -> Standing Curl

Finsih with 10 min of cardio

This is more of a moderate intenisty work out go with how you feel on weights. This is in no way an individual work out- just a general out line to help peoples - if you have injuries that hurt on a constant basis see a doctor nP~
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Mop » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:52 pm

if anyone is looking for sports specific or other goals/haveinjuries let me know and I can help out.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Diekan » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:34 am

Day 4 Legs oh goody

Just be sure to leave the weights OUT of the squat exercise. Squats are the WORST thing you can possibly do. Squats put a ton of pressure on your knees and vertebrae. Any trainer worth their salt will tell you to avoid squats.

When you do a squat (with weights) you are forcing the vertebrae to, more or less, crush the cartilage separating them. The cartilage separating your vertebrae wasn’t “designed” to act as a shock absorber on that scale. We see the same principle here when we see runners who’s knees have been shot. Ask your doctor what he/she thinks of running and see what they say. But, of course, we’re smarter than doctors, haha

Cyni's squats are pretty safe, because they don't require any weight / force to be applied to your spine / knees. The type of sqauts I am referring to are those done with a weight bar.

Over all I think Cyni's work out plan above seems pretty well rounded with very low risk.

I, personally, have a different routine, but for the Everquest playing couch potato the above advice is def a great starting point.
Diekan
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jimmy Durante » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:15 am

Diekan wrote:
Day 4 Legs oh goody

Just be sure to leave the weights OUT of the squat exercise. Squats are the WORST thing you can possibly do. Squats put a ton of pressure on your knees and vertebrae. Any trainer worth their salt will tell you to avoid squats.

I've been squatting for 14 years ass to grass without a single injury, using the high-bar narrow stance variation. I do let my knees come out slightly over my toes however, which takes a little pressure off of the hips and lower back. In addition, every trainer and athlete I have encountered has made it clear it is *the* excercise for building quads.

Regarding the injury aspect:
http://www.stumptuous.com/learnsquat.html
http://www.topendsports.com/fitness/technique-squat.htm
http://www.dolfzine.com/page253.htm
http://www.freedomfly.net/Articles/Trai ... ning30.htm
Jimmy Durante
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:48 am

I only do squats with people when they prove they are :

Flexible enough to handle the stress, cordinated enough, show proper form on no weight squats,.

That being said I usually only use freemotions squat machine because of how it is designed to take the pressure off the back and it is very difficult to cheat on in reguards to knee placement.

Personaly I think one legged toe touches and one legged clean and press are much more functional w/out putting as much pressure on the joints - THough I am not talking sports specific here.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:16 pm

How effective are the leg press / hack squat machines in regards to squats?

I've never done anything that hits more leg muscles better than lunges with dumbells.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Atalya » Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:33 pm

what kinda recommendation do you have for like an all cardio workout? i do lots of strength training at work (concrete construction) but i need like fat burn and cardio improving plz help~
Atalya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:51 am

Rey-

Hack squat and leg press are easier on the knees and spine if done correctly. For non athletic/weekend warriors purposes I think the leg press is better than squats because it is easier on the knees.

Atayla- here are two ideas for cardio work outs.

1 low intensity Longer duration 45 min to an hour - incline walking would be an example. 4 times a week walking, elpitical work well too, just keep the HR lower

HIIT (intervals) shorter duration HIGH intensity 20-25 min
5 min warm up then 30 seconds all out ( IE: sprints ) 30 second recovery ( non movment or walking. ) then repeat 15 times, then 2 or 3 min cool down
Jumprope, sprints, things of that nature work well

another idea is boxing bag. start with 1 min rounds work up to 3 min rounds with 1 min breaks
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Tae-Bo » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:53 am

ok here's a long winded question that is very anal

usually i swim 1200 yards a night, 200 yard warm-up, then 50 yards, done in 60 second intervals, rest 2 min, 100 yard, rest a min, 100 yard, rest, then 50's again, and more 100's until i reach around 1100-1200

i basically just started this about two weeks ago, when i finally got my form and breathing down

this would be considered anaerobic, right? usually after i was done lifting i would have a whey shake with some simple carbs in it to replenish glycogen used when lifting, and i've pretty much been doing the same thing after swimming because i assumed it wasn't aerobic. just wanted to be sure because if the shake isn't doing anything for me i'll just dump it because it'll pretty much be excess cals

and would i be able to expect any kind of hypertrophy or anything from swimming? i swear my lats and shoulders have gotten more defined since i started and i dunno if it's just from fat loss or if they've actually grown

ok and... you are training for a triathlon, right?

what does your swimming workout look like? i'm not sure i'm doing enough in my workouts, and eventually i want to step it up a bunch until i'm basically training like an athlete
Last edited by Tae-Bo on Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tae-Bo
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:11 am

Swiming starts off very anaerobic as your body adapts to it and you get better form you get more aerobic. After a weight work out swimming becomes days more difficult too causing your HR to elevate. You should expect better lat and shoulder def from swimming. It's a combo of fat loss, and your muscles now trying to lengthen to adjust to the change in use ( weight. str to cardio, endurance)

Right now my swim work outs are the following - off season mainly working on form to get better and work on distance later

10 x 50 meter ( trying to keep it under 16 strokes per 25 meters ) 15 sec rest
10 x 100 meter " " 20 second rest after each 100 I do two slow 25 meters
1 x 400 meter 25 1 side kick drill 25 normal (repeat)
1 x 400 25 meter catch up drill 25 normal
2 x 250 25 meter recovery after first 250, 30 sec rest then repeat
10 x 50 25 finger drag drill 25 sprint ( 70% or so)
4 x 25 meter recovery.

Truely the only things I hope to improve in this format is how many strokes I take per 25 meter I am hoping to consitently get it down to 12 -14 strokes per length currently I sit around 13-16 depending on how tired I am

this is just a base / intensity format come Febuary it will change to a power / endurance format
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby liquidstayce » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:04 pm

Dana/Mop did a Sprint Triathalon a few days before our wedding. His first Tri was so cool to watch. He did a great job and finished in the top half. His next few races will be olympic length triathalons in the spring. This is all to work up towards the 4th Annual - Delaware Diamondman Triathlon on Sunday, September 11, 2005 at 7:15 am. Swim = 1.2 miles; Bike = 56 miles; Run = 13.1 miles. You should come cheer him on with me!! Somewhere in there he also thinks he might fit in a marathon.

As I type this right now he is on his bike on top of a mag trainer in front of the TV doing his 2nd workout today. This morning I did cardio for 30 min and then we lifted together for an hour (full-body super-sets). I'm exhausted at this point and in awe that he can be working out again right now.

In his spare time when he is not training clients he is working on research or some sort of cert all the time. His latest is a special tri coaching certification. I am very proud of him!! Go Dana =)

Squats rule!
-------------------
Most trainers I have met have felt the same way. It's all in the form and experience. Remember to push through the back of your heal. You should be able to slide your pinky under your toes. I find that when I look up towards the ceiling as I come up it puts me in proper form. I also like using the squat machine versus the free weight squat but have done both. A good beginner squat for someone who has not worked out or not familar with squats is ball squats. When I had to rehab my back I did squats without any weight. That was also useful. A few months later I'm now back to doing the most I have everysquatted + 20 more lbs (as of today). Usually we supeset them with one to two other exercises as well. Today we did a standing - squat position lat pull down and then squats on the machine Dana mentioned above approx 15 reps X 3.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Captain Insano » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:41 am

Diekan wrote:
Day 4 Legs oh goody

Squats are the WORST thing you can possibly do. Squats put a ton of pressure on your knees and vertebrae.

I just started reading this forum.... No disrespect but I totally disagree with you on this.

Squats if done properly are completely safe, pending that you have no previous knee injuries.

Adding squats and deadlifts to your workout will significantly increase your gains and make EVERYthing stronger.
Tossica: No, you're gay because you suck on cocks.

Darcler:
Get rid of the pictures of the goofy looking white guy. That opens two right there.

Mazzletoffarado: That's me fucktard
Vivalicious wrote:Lots of females don't want you to put your penis in their mouths. Some prefer it in their ass.
Captain Insano
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Markarado » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:16 am

Squats are not recommended because most people push the weight up before they learn the proper form. I don't believe that they are bad for you as long as you know what you're doing.
Markarado
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Mop » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:21 pm

squats and deadlifts are the two best moves outside of power movements for any gains and work your entire body. If you do them correctly and controlled they are great if you do them sloppy you will hurt yourself.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:39 am

OK I have been working out for the past 4 months VERY LIGHTLY as I have been dieting and losing weight. I decided to get into perfect shape because one of my best friends had a heart attack at 29 and it made me paranoid.

What I need from you guys is female exercises that will work my Inner thighs, my waist, my abs, and my arms. I don't want to be the governator. I want to be slim, slightly muscular, and sexy as fuck. I am at the point in my slow but effective process that I really need some good advice. Not to mention, I only get about 15 minutes a day to myself where I don't have my nose in a book or a kid in my ear. Please only respond if you have good ideas. You may send them to me via PM if you wish. Cyni's ideas are great, but much too time consuming for me and much too vigorous for what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks to you who respond honestly to this.
Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Darcler » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:22 am

buffmother.com

They have different ideas for all women's fitness levels and goals. Check them out, I havent joined them and I'm not *too* sure if you can read their forums without paying, if you can, there ya go, I hear it's a great site for tips. If you have to pay...I dont know.
Even if you cant read without paying, check out the lady on the intro page. I couldnt stand being that muscular. Yuck.
Darcler
Saran Wrap Princess
Saran Wrap Princess

Postby Gargamellow » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:38 am

LOL this website is great! Just the confidence builder I needed. You rock, Darc.

Gargamellow
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum