Are all sugars created equal?

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

Are all sugars created equal?

Postby Azlana » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:41 pm

I read over all of the essays, but it was about 4:30am so I missed a lot. I got to one part that was talking about exactly what effects sugar have on your body and (it may have told me and I missed it) I wanted to know if the sugars in fruits etc, have the same effect on your body as refined sugar. Also what about caffeine? I remember during the induction phase of Atkins they tell you not to drink it because it essentially has the same effect on your body that sugar would.
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:51 pm

No not all suger is the same.

In america we have an item called High fructose Corn Syrup which is cheaper than suger from a development stand point. This product is pretty much suger, but spikes your blood suger fast and high. Where as fruit suger is a slower intake and tends to not spike your blood suger as high. there are of course exceptions, banana's will spike your blood suger alot, grapefruit, not so much.

Along with that fruit has alot of anti oxidents and other good htings for your body in general. A lot of items have High Fructose corn syrup in them now adays, and is one of the biggest contributers to americans getting fatter and fatter.

Caffine on the other hand is a tricky subject. There have been many studies saying that caffine will cause fat to redirect and redeposit when in the blood stream ( You burn fat , caffine redirects it back to the fat cells ) though I am not sure how true these are. for the most part caffine is ok in moderation, there are better forms of it ( green tea > diet soda) as an example. caffine in some cases can spike ones blood suger, which is what atkins is trying to avoid through low carb dieting.

Did that awnser your question?
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Sat Jan 08, 2005 7:23 pm

Yes, now what about Splenda?
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:47 am

Splenda is basicaly like equal, imo tastes better though. It is "technically" made from suger, but it is a long way off from suger. It has a small effect on blood suger making it not as bad.

Stevia on the other hand is 100% natural and is much better for you, containing fiber and about the ame effect on blood suger as splenda.
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:55 am

Okay good, I pretty much knew that about Splenda; I'm glad you didn't have any terrible revelations for me. Where do you buy Stevia? I'm sure it will be easy to find once I'm in Oregon, but I'm still in crappy, Wal-mart loving Texas for now.
*edit* I googled its image to see if it was what I thought it was - and yeah, I've had this stuff before, my Mom was growing it - it's awesome.
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Mop » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:11 am

Whole foods, gnc, trader joes all sell stevia.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Azlana » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:01 pm

I found a place here that sells Stevia - do I want to buy the extract or just the ground up version?
paralyzism
Azlana
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby liquidstayce » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:08 pm

I use the packet kind I honestly dont know off the top of my head, I beievethe extract is liquid form.
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby araby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:34 pm

duh I missed this sorry about the extra thread
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum