eating healthy on a budget

Exercise, Parenting, Children, Family info.
Extremely moderated.

Moderators: Mop, Dictators in Training

eating healthy on a budget

Postby leah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:23 pm

okay i am in college and have at most about 30$ a week to spend on food, which to most normal college kids would entail ramen noodles and mac and cheese. however, i would really like to eat healthy food. is this a possibility with such a low budget? i squeak by but i think i end up just not eating as much as i should. i know y'all always tout the benefits of this organic food business and whatnot but i can't possibly afford much if any of it on my budget. HELP!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Mop » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:44 pm

There are other things that work, for 30 a week.

I would try famers markets first as they are usualy cheaper than stores for almost all produce. Around here we have them weekly and then there are two downtown that go every day but sunday. Sweet potatoes, bananas, lettuce are probally the most affordable outside of seasonal foods.

Stock up on foods you can get alot out of for little. Nuts, beans ( beans if you buy them raw are dirt cheap you can get a year supply for a couple bucks - same with brown rice. Rice pasta can be somewhat affordable using tomatoes instead of tomatoe sauce to flavor works well imo.

Cottage cheese and Yogurt are good substitues for a protien. For cottage cheese to flavor - try sugar free jello gelatin _ just a little bit of a package can change the flavor a ton.
Narrock wrote:I don't like rabbits. They remind me of this chick I met on teh internet like 5 years ago.
Mop
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby leah » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:47 pm

For cottage cheese to flavor - try sugar free jello gelatin _ just a little bit of a package can change the flavor a ton.

wow that's a really cool idea, i am totally trying that one.

i live in smalltown mctiny here in nebraska and i don't know if we've got any farmer's markets around here but i'll definitely look around. thx!
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby liquidstayce » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:07 pm

see if you have some here in the store tomatoes were running around 3 dollars at the farmers market it was around 80 cents for the same amount

I am sure you could get a wicked deal on corn in nebraska
~stacy
liquidstayce
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby araby » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:36 pm

I hear corn has no nutritional value whatsoever. teehee
araby
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Phlegm » Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:25 pm

Here is a good site i found that give the nutritional values of most food. Try it out :wink:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to NT Fitness, Family, Friends Forum