union-busting

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: union-busting

Postby Lyion » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:18 pm

Holy Necro thread revival! Zan, I'd discuss it with you, but as you are from Canada and simply trolling and ad hoc attacking and still clueless about other countries laws, then whatever, dude. I still give much love to your main man, Harper. If only we had him here.

Gyp, the discussion was about Wisconsin, obviously. The problem being the corrupt model of collectively bargaining the tax payer money and in return getting huge checks back from those unions to get re-elected. I'm pro union. I'm just against government unions and collective bargaining, as I have always been.

There are a ton of sources. Here's a simple one from wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Wisconsin_protests

The Walker-backed bill proposed taking away the ability of public sector unions to bargain collectively over pensions and health care and limiting pay raises of public employees to the rate of inflation, as well as ending automatic union dues collection by the state and requiring public unions to recertify annually.[29][30] The bargaining changes exempted the unions of public safety officers, including police, firefighters, and state troopers.[31] Walker stated without the cuts, thousands of state workers would have to be laid off.[32]

The Wisconsin state pension plan requires a 6.8% employer contribution and 6.2% from the employee. However, according to collective-bargaining agreements in place since 1996, the districts pay the employees' share as well, for a total of 13%. One district also contributes an additional 4.2% of teacher salaries to cover a second pension and teachers contribute nothing. Under collective-bargaining law at the time, a school district pays the entire premium for medical and vision benefits,

Zan is clueless about 401K laws, what workers currently contribute, and how things are handled in the private sector and in non government union entities. I'd be surprised if he's ever even heard of a 401k. They are far different and far less generous than the government union ones. Anyways, everything I said from March 2011 still pretty much holds regarding my opinion about this:

Lyion wrote:Not public unions, public employee government unions. There are no issues with regular unions. There are no regular union changes in any of the state bills. Regular union leaders battle shareholders for better benefits which is as it should be. The problem is when government union workers lobby and get their local government to give them obscene benefits by sending millions of dollars in campaign contributions their way. All of these fights are being done at the local/state level, and aren't really national issues. Federal union government employees cannot collectively bargain. At the state level they tend to be more devastating due to the turnover of politicians and the fact once you promise someone something, especially pension wise, it's tough to go back. Essentially, most states are trying to do what you recommend and close the loophole.

New York City has policemen retiring in their mid 40s with 100k pensions guaranteed for the rest of their lives. There are tons of other examples similar to this. It's tough for cities to support their constituents needs when many of them pay half their tax base due to political public union promises. This is an extreme example but many cities are in dire straights financially due to promises made by elected officials who are helped to be elected by strong union support.

Unfortunately power, be it from corporate lobbying or union lobbying is notoriously difficult to fix. Politicians love to promise things and reward their friends, but those bills end up on the middle class backs. The problem with our two party system is while they use wedge issues to generate cash, collectively they are going to protect their money sources. The real fix is for constitutional amendments to fix a lot of the loopholes at the federal level, but it takes a lot to get those passed.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Spazz » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:54 pm

I swear im gonna stop coming here sometimes
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby brinstar » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:21 am

i've read articles in the past 24 hours that say the dems never gave a fuck about the recall and i'm inclined to believe it

barrett himself is rather anti-union and if he had actually won would not have changed any of walker's shite policies

falk was the only actual progressive involved and she got stomped out of the primary by walker and barrett

all the pro-union energy and new-blood activism just got siphoned off and channeled into "safe" Dem territory rather than actually upsetting the balance of power (which as i've said before has nothing to do with left v right, but rather top v bottom)

to put it another way, as soon as all the anti-walker energy got funnelled into electoral politics, workers were fucked no matter who won. unions only have power when they strike.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:30 am

Gypsy's quote of yours where you say government employees don't pay into pensions is, like, nonsense. That's what I was objecting to. If you go back and follow the thread you'll see I actually agreed with you for the most part and only was arguing with some of your semantic reasoning and you're the one that continued to attack needless (bringing up Sean Penn whaa?) which is your usual MO. GOP talking points and underhanded comments. Oh what a surprise, you mentioned Harper. What a razor sharp wit you have...
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:46 pm

compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:04 pm

Scott and his boys will figure out a way to make it stick.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 am

When is he up for election again though, another 18months or so? I could see that getting stuck in the system for another year, if not more.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Previous

Return to Current Affairs