SOE / PSN services resuming

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

SOE / PSN services resuming

Postby Menelvir » Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 pm

Both SOE and PSN networks are beginning to come back online.

Full details here: https://www.soe.com/securityupdate/rest ... ncement.vm

Forced password reset may be required to login to some games.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Re: SOE / PSN services resuming

Postby Zanchief » Sun May 15, 2011 7:01 am

God I don't even remember my password. Maybe I should ask the hackers what was password is.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Lyion » Sun May 15, 2011 7:49 am

haha, I just had the same problem. PSN has autologged me in from the moment I signed up for it a few years back.

I'm hoping I can get Portal 2 registered to play on my PC, although since I've finished it on the PS3, not as big of a rush.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Reynaldo » Sun May 15, 2011 8:11 am

PSN didn't ask for my current password to set it to something new - at least on the actual playstation and not the webpage.

The EQ login needed old before changing though.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Lyion » Tue May 17, 2011 8:11 am

45 days free for SOE accounts.

Sadly, I have zero desire to login to any SOE MMO or game.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Tue May 17, 2011 8:44 am

Good. Couldn't wait to cancel my shit.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

It's expensive

Postby Menelvir » Wed May 18, 2011 9:15 am

Dr. Gene Spafford is a professor at Purdue and executive director of the Purdue Center for Education and Research in Information Assurance and Security. According to testimony he offered to a congressional subcommittee investigating security breaches, a breach can cost the breached company approximately $214 per compromised record - this includes cleanup, customer notification, etc., etc.

In Sony's case, their initial disclosure of the details of the breach stated that 24.6 million records had been compromised. That would put the initial cost (before any other discovered breaches or any additional self-imposed costs) at $5,264,000,000.

I'm guessing it wouldn't have cost $5 billion to update their security systems.

It was mentioned during testimony that Sony's network was "unpatched" and that they "had no firewall installed".

There are a few juicy bits in the almost two hour meeting, though much of it is rather dry.

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tossica » Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 am

http://kotaku.com/5803050/sony-playstat ... ompromised

For fucks sake.

Failure on a laughably epic level. Fuck Sony. They need to just close up shop and go away. Unreal.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 am

Wii 2 would then take over the universe!
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menelvir » Wed May 18, 2011 11:14 am

I agree with the bulk and severity of the criticism against them.

But that doesn't diminish my desire to give 'L.A. Noire' a try. And I'd rather not have to buy another console to do that. :dunno:

edit: Sony disputes the claim that there was a second attack, Information Week story : http://www.informationweek.com/

edit, part deux: Ok, there was a URL exploit that allowed password reset based on email address and DOB, which is at least partially why they took the password reset utility offline. I'm wondering though, given the nature of the data theft, how can they now reliably trust any method of user verification?
Last edited by Menelvir on Thu May 19, 2011 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Zanchief » Thu May 19, 2011 8:32 am

Who gives a shit. Why blame SONY when they were the victim of the hack? What was lost? A month of a free service and they are compensating people for it? I wouldn't have been on PSN the last month anyway. I haven't heard of any actual compromised data. Stop crying about meaningless shit.

This seems like a perfect platform for XBox fanboys to freak out about something that isn't a big deal at all.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Fri May 20, 2011 7:43 am

Zanchief wrote:Who gives a shit. Why blame SONY when they were the victim of the hack? What was lost? A month of a free service and they are compensating people for it? I wouldn't have been on PSN the last month anyway. I haven't heard of any actual compromised data. Stop crying about meaningless shit.

This seems like a perfect platform for XBox fanboys to freak out about something that isn't a big deal at all.

It's the single largest consumer security fuck up ever. Their failure is pretty much a huge deal. Companies get hacked every day. Most of their size aren't stupid or arrogant enough to let it happen on this scale. It's a huge embarrassment for them and a pain in the ass for the millions of people affected. It will end up costing Sony billions of dollars.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 am

You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.

That said this was a pretty monumental fuck up. User data is sacrosanct, and it's fairly easy to safeguard and DMZ your database information. It's far from as stupid as leaving a laptop with all your user data in an airport, it was a very subtle hack.

It's not the end of the world, though, and if people forgave MS for selling millions of RROD consoles, they'll forgive Sony for allowing hackers to steal a legacy user data table, especially since Sony purchased insurance for their players and offered freebies.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Fri May 20, 2011 10:27 am

Has there been any documented fraud based on any of the information stolen?

The net result to the user is a month off PSN and some free stuff. Big deal.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Fri May 20, 2011 11:12 am

Lyion wrote:You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.

That said this was a pretty monumental fuck up. User data is sacrosanct, and it's fairly easy to safeguard and DMZ your database information. It's far from as stupid as leaving a laptop with all your user data in an airport, it was a very subtle hack.

It's not the end of the world, though, and if people forgave MS for selling millions of RROD consoles, they'll forgive Sony for allowing hackers to steal a legacy user data table, especially since Sony purchased insurance for their players and offered freebies.

I own a Sony HD projector, a Sony TV, Sony Laptop, Sony BR player, Sony PS3, Sony PSP, Sony camcorder, etc. On the other side, I own an Xbox 360 and run Windows on my computer. I think you're mistaken.

Zanchief, hackers and who knows who else now have a nice tidy database of 70 million peoples names, addresses, usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and purchase history. If that doesn't piss you off, I think you're letting your love for Sony cloud your judgement.

They make nice hardware. That's about all the good I can say about them.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Fri May 20, 2011 12:06 pm

Zanchief wrote:Has there been any documented fraud based on any of the information stolen?

The net result to the user is a month off PSN and some free stuff. Big deal.

If you haven't replaced your credit card yet, I'd suggest doing so.

I don't give a fuck about the network being down. I rarely if ever use it. I am pissed about having my data handed over. You should be too.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Fri May 20, 2011 5:30 pm

I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Sat May 21, 2011 7:12 am

Tossica wrote:
Lyion wrote:You are so rabidly anti-Sony and pro MS, it's tough to take you at face value, Toss.

I own a Sony HD projector, a Sony TV, Sony Laptop, Sony BR player, Sony PS3, Sony PSP, Sony camcorder, etc. On the other side, I own an Xbox 360 and run Windows on my computer. I think you're mistaken..

I should have said PS3 vs Xbox. I'm not quite sure where I could've gotten the idea you didn't like PS3s...

Tossica wrote:The PS3 gets red headed stepchild ports of the 360 versions and in all but a few cases they look far worse and run at 1/2 the speed of their 360 counterparts.

Tossica wrote:Yes, people watch fucking movies on their PS3's since that's about all you can do with them.

Tossica wrote:I don't own a PS3 but of the friends I have that own both, the PS3 sits and does nothing or plays a BR every once in a while. Maybe in a year or so it will be a better gaming platform but for now the 360 absolutely KILLS it as far as content goes.

Tossica wrote:I'm not blaming anyone, I'm saying the versions of games for the PS3 that are also on the 360 are often ports of the 360 version and are not as good.

Tossica wrote:The EA sports games are a good example. 30fps on the PS3, 60fps on the 360.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Harrison » Sat May 21, 2011 10:09 am

Arlos wrote:I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.

-Arlos

^this

There have been no reports of misused CC info even still.

I just went around and changed as many logins and passwords to all of my various services as I could. MASSIVE pain in my ass, but not a big deal. I should have done that years ago. Using a blanket system for my passwords was a terrible idea and so now I have associated a numbered scheme for each separate service I need a login/password for.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Sat May 21, 2011 11:03 am

I think I'll pass on taking Sony's word for it. They likely can't say with certainty exactly what was compromised and didn't bother to tell anyone that their customer data may have been tampered with for almost a week after they found out.

and yes,

I think the Xbox is a better game console than the PS3.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Sat May 21, 2011 11:04 am

Harrison wrote:
Arlos wrote:I thought the main hack (the 70 million people's personal info) didn't include credit card info? I remember reading the only people who got credit card info taken was a few hundred thousand European customers.

-Arlos

^this

There have been no reports of misused CC info even still.

Because people cancelled their CC as soon as they found out.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Harrison » Wed May 25, 2011 2:09 pm

Tossica wrote:I think I'll pass on taking Sony's word for it. They likely can't say with certainty exactly what was compromised and didn't bother to tell anyone that their customer data may have been tampered with for almost a week after they found out.

and yes,

I think the Xbox is a better game console than the PS3.

Lol.... :rofl:
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Thu May 26, 2011 9:13 pm

well right now 360 definitely has better games, tho most are on both systems i don't think ps3 has any 1st party games that are really that fun

architecturally, ps3 is better but the developers haven't made anything really stand out aside from like.... demon's souls

last guardian is gonna be so hot tho. that game makes me wet

if i could have both i would, but xbox live arcade games totally jablown anything on psn so they got my dollars this time around
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Thu May 26, 2011 9:55 pm

While I do prefer my XBox over my PS3, I will say that Uncharted and MGS4 wtfpwn everything that has ever been on XBox.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 pm

I really like my ps3 but I play most games solo or with a friend or 2 at most. Maybe xbox has better online play but thats not really my thing :dunno:

I also really hate the xbox controller.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Next

Return to Current Affairs