Beck Expands Hitler Youth Analogy Sphere

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Beck Expands Hitler Youth Analogy Sphere

Postby Menelvir » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:56 am

Only a few hours after popular talk show host Glenn Beck drew a comparison between the Hitler Youth organization and the Norway Camp, where a domestic terrorist killed 76 people, Beck unexpectedly and resolutely drew comparisons between Hitler Youth and other organizations.

"It's an ever-expanding sphere", Beck said, noting that in addition to previous comparisons he'd drawn, "NASA, the Mickey Mouse Club, and AARP" also sound "a little like Hitler youth or whatever".

At the current rate of expansion, the Brookings Institute estimates that the entire known universe will sound "a little like Hitler Youth or whatever" by early Summer 2012.

"I'm sure there's Hitler Youth or something like it out there beyond our solar system, on other planets", Beck asserted. Beck's spokesman stated that Beck's reference to "an ever-expanding sphere" did not necessarily indicate Beck's belief in an expanding universe, despite evidence of cosmological redshift.

"Honestly, the idea of redshift sounds like an idea that might have originated in the Hitler Youth or whatever", he said.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Re: Beck Expands Hitler Youth Analogy Sphere

Postby Gypsiyee » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:50 am

Really? Hitler Youth and the equivalent female camps that were used as breeding pens for kids to grow the Aryan race in addition to the countless other atrocities they indoctrinated children with is the same as encouraging political interest in young people?

I'd say he's a complete moron, but I'm convinced he's actually just a really intelligent guy capitalizing on the growth of an ignorant base who cares less about facts than hyperbolic nonsense. The more stupid shit he says to enrage his base, the bigger his paychecks are.. so really I think he's just a financially savvy person who would rather be rich than credible.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Menelvir » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:25 am

Yeah, if he knows how to game the system, fill a needy void of nebulous apprehension, and grow wealthy while doing so, he's not a moron.

But it does make me wonder if he whole-heartedly and honestly believes everything he's throwing out there, or if it's just part of the game.
Last edited by Menelvir on Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:Really? Hitler Youth and the equivalent female camps that were used as breeding pens for kids to grow the Aryan race in addition to the countless other atrocities they indoctrinated children with is the same as encouraging political interest in young people?

Read that again. Political camp is political camp. Only difference is your opinion on their theology/ideology.

Ideas are the most dangerous weapons out there, and raisin kids to believe certain things can be dangerous
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Drem » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:56 am

Menelvir wrote:At the current rate of expansion, the Brookings Institute estimates that the entire known universe will sound "a little like Hitler Youth or whatever" by early Summer 2012

hahahahaha

as long as obama's president, right?
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:09 am

Tikker wrote:
Gypsiyee wrote:Really? Hitler Youth and the equivalent female camps that were used as breeding pens for kids to grow the Aryan race in addition to the countless other atrocities they indoctrinated children with is the same as encouraging political interest in young people?

Ideas are the most dangerous weapons out there, and raisin kids to believe certain things can be dangerous

Read that again. Political camp is political camp. Only difference is your opinion on their theology/ideology.

Hitler Youth wasn't just "lets raise our kids to believe this." Hitler Youth was mandatory indoctrination. Your kids participated or you got punished. Neither kids nor parents had any choice; they went to there to be trained to become a battalion for a government that many of the families didn't support (albeit silently). It wasn't a sharing of ideas.. it was military training. And the girls camp was training on how to raise an a pro Nazi Aryan family. Many of them were impregnated at camp--it was encouraged.

I don't disagree with you that ideas can be dangerous weapons and that welcoming kids to support the cause and take part in the same discussions is a slippery slope, but that's not what Hitler Youth was and to compare the two is ridiculous. I'm not going to claim to know the inner workings of the youth league, but until we're talking about a nationwide requirement to support the Labour Party and to train them to be literal soldiers digging trenches, throwing grenades, and physically exterminating the opposition for that party, that comparison shouldn't be made. Ever.

If it were a Muslim responsible, Beck and the religious right would make no such comparison.. they would say to punish the perpetrator to the fullest extent. Since it was a Christian zealot, though, they're trying to support it with reason and justification and say that Christians are under attack in this situation. It's revolting.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Return to Current Affairs