R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Postby Narrock » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:25 pm

Damn, only 56. Waaay too early. What a brilliant mind and remarkable legacy.
Invented the PC... think about that. I remember getting the Apple 2+ for my 16th birthday in 1982. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve- ... d=14383813
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: R.I.P. Steve Jobs

Postby Phlegm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm

Narrock wrote:Damn, only 56. Waaay too early. What a brilliant mind and remarkable legacy.
Invented the PC... think about that lol. I remember getting the Apple 2+ for my 16th birthday in 1982. http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/steve- ... d=14383813

Apple didn't invented the PC. Xerox PARC built the Alto before them. As did IBM with the 5100.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Nusk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:57 pm

no he did not invent the pc. He founded Apple, Next, and was responsible for what Pixar became. Hate him or love him Steve Jobs was one of the best company leaders to come out of the early PC boom

God speed shiny plastic overpriced box selling man
Nusk
NT Froglok
NT Froglok

Postby Narrock » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Nusk wrote:no he did not invent the pc. He founded Apple, Next, and was responsible for what Pixar became. Hate him or love him Steve Jobs was one of the best company leaders to come out of the early PC boom

God speed shiny plastic overpriced box selling man
hmm, a quick Google search asking the simple question "who invented the personal computer?" yielded the following result: http://www.enotes.com/history-fact-find ... l-computer
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Phlegm » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Yes, they were the first to market the computer to the home user but they didn't invent it.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:26 am

boohoo a billionaire sweatshop owner died

what, they only let you cut in line for livers once?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 am

Might have helped if he actually sought "conventional" medicine for his cancer too.

How is this man being praised as a genius? He sold over priced software to hipster morons who were willing to pay 3 times the premium for something that looked cool on their desk.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Menelvir » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:01 am

No doubt he had certain gifts, but someone correct me if I'm wrong in thinking that back in the start-the-business-in-the-garage days, it was Wozniak who did most of the heavy lifting on the technical side.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Tikker » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:22 am

yup

and microsoft wrote a big chunk of the OS for the first apple pc's
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am

He was a genius and a moron at the same time. His business model was great, knew who to target, etc. and his products were solid and reliable, but like said above, shiny overpriced propriety-based(until recently) bullshit. I think he held himself back by not conforming until it was too late with popular industry standards.

I grew up using apples and macs and I didn't even know wtf the difference between a PC and the others were. I wish I had grown up a few years earlier so I could have been there for all of it at a better age. My first computer was an IBM x86 which I think had 16mb of ram? I played Doom and other ancient games on floppy and those are some of my fondest memories of growing up for me. I would shit a brick if I saw what would come of computing back then.

R.I.P. Steve Jobs, you were very important in the tech world and we owe a lot to you.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:19 pm

Without Steve Job's brilliant mind and inventions, you wouldn't have a lot of the electric gadgets you have now, at least not to the advanced state theyre in. Give the man some REAL deserved credit and show some respect.

Note: Small edit for politeness by Mod
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm

Jobs wasn't a tech genius, in that, Woz was certainly the heavy lifter, no question.

What he was, though, was an absolute and nearly unparalleled genius at marketing and sales. He also had a serious genius at predicting things the public was hungering for, before it had even been invented yet. (see: the iPod, iPad and iPhone) He made mistakes (see: NeXT computers), but was still one of the top executives in Silicon Valley.

Perfectly reasonable to note some things he wasn't, and mistakes he made along the way, but he WAS a titan, no question.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Griever » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:34 pm

You can't deny Steve Jobs and Apple took the personal MP3 player, smartphones and tablets to the next level. Their products are made for a target market and with intuitiveness and user-friendliness in mind.

I was never an Apple fan boy. What I didn't like was how unflexible Apple products were. I almost felt like Apple treated their customers like they weren't as advanced as they were are and that they wanted to hold your hand the entire way. You can kind of compare Apple to Nintendo. They have amazing ideas that other companies end up executing better. Regardless, I understand, and appreciate, what the efforts of Steve Jobs and Apple have brought to the technology world.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:42 pm

And don't forget about the mouse. That has made life on the computer a lot more convenient, thanks to Steve Jobs.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Phlegm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Narrock wrote:And don't forget about the mouse. That has made life on the computer a lot more convenient, thanks to Steve Jobs.

Jobs didn't invent the computer mouse either.
Phlegm
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:57 pm

I guess it was Douglas Engelbart, but the news this morning said that it was one Steve Jobs' inventions. Someone goofed.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Pixar is awesome. Pretty much everything else Apple is bullshit. The original Mac classic was cool as were the original Apple computers. Anything post 1990 is overpriced crap.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:09 pm

Narrock wrote:I guess it was Douglas Engelbart, but the news this morning said that it was one Steve Jobs' inventions. Someone goofed.

*arms laser cannons*

*reads Arlos's important notice*

*flips the safety back on*

*keeps on sailin'*
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 pm

brinstar wrote:
Narrock wrote:I guess it was Douglas Engelbart, but the news this morning said that it was one Steve Jobs' inventions. Someone goofed.

*arms laser cannons*

*keeps on sailin'*

Yeah, that sounds just like you... going after the messenger who was given misinformation, and not the source... I'll be nice too and refrain from saying what you really deserve...
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm

Tossica wrote:Pixar is awesome. Pretty much everything else Apple is bullshit. The original Mac classic was cool as were the original Apple computers. Anything post 1990 is overpriced crap.

Apple machines are still considered top dog in the graphics industry though.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Griever » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Steve Jobs didn't invent the mouse, but he is a big reason it is what it is today. He basically had it redesigned from Douglas Engelbart's model and made it more marketable.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... ntPage=all

Dude, before you post something, take 10 minutes to google it. You'll prevent yourself from putting your foot in your mouth and you'll look much smarter in the process.
Griever
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby leah » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:26 pm

dude no lie, every time one of y'all says douglas englebart, i keep thinking of englebert humperdinck, which then leads me to prince humperdinck on princess bride, which leads me to say "humperdinck, humperdinck, humperdinck!" like the crazy magic man's wife.

nice thought process, bro. thanks, man.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Narrock » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Griever wrote:Steve Jobs didn't invent the mouse, but he is a big reason it is what it is today. He basically had it redesigned from Douglas Engelbart's model and made it more marketable.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011 ... ntPage=all

Dude, before you post something, take 10 minutes to google it. You'll prevent yourself from putting your foot in your mouth and you'll look much smarter in the process.

I will Google first from now on, but it is kind of ridiculous that you have to Google things you hear on the news to verify what they say, but go ahead and listen to a podcast of this morning's "the wall street journal this morning" and listen to what Gordon Deal said. ;-)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:41 pm

Narrock wrote:
brinstar wrote:

*arms laser cannons*

*keeps on sailin'*

Yeah, that sounds just like you... going after the messenger who was given misinformation, and not the source... I'll be nice too and refrain from saying what you really deserve...

wrong bitch i always go straight to the source

which in this case is your gullibility

lern2factchk thxbai
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Narrock wrote:
Tossica wrote:Pixar is awesome. Pretty much everything else Apple is bullshit. The original Mac classic was cool as were the original Apple computers. Anything post 1990 is overpriced crap.

Apple machines are still considered top dog in the graphics industry though.

that much is true

as much as i poke at apple fanbois, i always give apple its due when it comes to high-end graphics and audio processing
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Next

Return to Current Affairs