the ever-advancing encroachment of christmas consumerism

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

the ever-advancing encroachment of christmas consumerism

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:15 am

It's getting pretty bad. Advertising has Americans chasing ever-crazier "doorbuster deals" each year - to the point where this year some stores are opening thanksgiving night. I will admit that I have made the occasional Black Friday trip in the past. I've never camped out the night before, but I have stood in line (I believe the last time was a few years ago when we tried getting dad a decent TV). Since then, however, I've largely checked out.

This year, I began seeing Christmas commercials before Halloween was even over. What the actual fuck? I understand the economy is rocky at the moment, and that across the board, companies get their biggest jolts from holiday-shopping, but this is seriously getting ridiculous.

I have felt for some time that the spirit of giving is being largely choked out by the spirit of buying. Setting aside the true origins of Christmas (that's another thread entirely), it has traditionally been an opportunity for people to spend time with their loved ones, especially those they don't see very often due to geographical or other logistical limitations. However, this tradition has been co-opted and sponsored to the point where ads actually try making you feel guilty if you fail to buy the latest toy or nice coat or cool laptop or fancy watch for your family members - that somehow your generosity with gifts and shopping discipline are the sole measures of the esteem you hold for your kin and/or friends.

I say fuck all that shit. If you want to give gifts, set aside some time each week (or day, if you have a big family) to actually think about something really meaningful to give to those you love, rather than a gadget or toy or set of golf balls. It could be a small photo album of your time together, a cool piece of local art, a classy antique, something you make, etc. It doesn't even have to be an actual thing - offer to help organize and fund a trip together, or make plans to spend time doing something you all enjoy. It could even be so simple as "let's promise to go out for lunch at least once a month next year."

Anyone else feel this way?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: the ever-advancing encroachment of christmas consumerism

Postby Zanchief » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:28 am

You'd be a terrible friend. I like my toys.

Oh thanks for the hand made sweater, Brin! *trash*
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:37 am

LOL Brin... Fucking submit that to your newspaper. I'm tellin ya man, you have a gift! Anyway, I actually enjoy shopping on black friday (my annual trip to our mall (the Galleria in Rocklin, CA which is a city-state in and of itself) and prolly murder an innocent Christmas tree that weekend and shlepp it home. I love the Christmas season. It mellows me out, makes me happy (pumpkin spice Lattes, Christmas music, looking at Christmas decorations all over the place, the cool crisp nip in the air, hangin with the family more than other times of the year, etc.) So fuck off you grumpy fuck. :lol:
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:09 pm

whoa personal attack!

man i love all that stuff too (seriously), i just don't feel like such relentless consumerism should be necessary to maintaining its meaning.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 pm

I was listening to (what I thought was classic Christmas music) with the ol greats like Andy Williams, Dean Martin, Burl Ives, Sinatra, Bing Crosby, etc. amd then they played an old great with a fucking retarded ass hip hop beat. Wtf? Get out.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:24 pm

Zanchief wrote:You'd be a terrible friend. I like my toys.

Oh thanks for the hand made sweater, Brin! *trash*

come have pizza with me once a year, bitch!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Fuck christmas.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:40 pm

Tossica wrote:Fuck christmas.

You have issues bro.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:30 am

How do you bitch about the economy and bitch about consumerism at the same time?
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Lyion » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:09 am

brinstar wrote:I have felt for some time that the spirit of giving is being largely choked out by the spirit of buying. Setting aside the true origins of Christmas (that's another thread entirely), it has traditionally been an opportunity for people to spend time with their loved ones, especially those they don't see very often due to geographical or other logistical limitations. However, this tradition has been co-opted and sponsored to the point where ads actually try making you feel guilty if you fail to buy the latest toy or nice coat or cool laptop or fancy watch for your family members - that somehow your generosity with gifts and shopping discipline are the sole measures of the esteem you hold for your kin and/or friends..

When did this tradition get co-opted? Did it happen to you personally? Do you actually know anyone you can describe as becoming a competitive Christmas materialistic type? Most families have their traditions and adhere to them. A lot of people enjoy Black Friday, and it's an event unto itself. This is an interesting thread on a board filled with anti-Christian types and one 7th day crazy. You aren't married and do not have kids, correct? Black Friday should be a fun event for someone like you, but you rail on great deals and marketing as if those somehow make Christmas shallow. If your family or someones takes gift giving to the competitive and cost prohibitive level, that isn't due to commercials, ya know. To be honest they have zero bearing to most of us with families. If you think kids and shopping has changed, you are wrong. This is from 40 years ago!

Many of the people camped out in front of Best Buy are ebayers. You have your crazy shop-Moms, who want to get the best deal, but really correlating this with Christmas is inaccurate. If I see a Mom running out at 4 AM to save their family money, and get Timmy the gift he really wants, I respect that. Commercials have been consistent the last decade for Black Friday. It's a bit bigger due to the strategic nature of competitive shopping and the Internet, but if anything it's smaller the last few years in my opinion.

Hate on Black Friday all you want, as it's an individual institution, but trying to link it to Christmas is wrong.

Not that it matters on this board with the zealous atheists and anti-religious types, of which I do not include you, Brin.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Trielelvan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:14 am

Jay wrote:How do you bitch about the economy and bitch about consumerism at the same time?

Because it's blatant consumerism that is destroying the economy. People don't shop at local shops - they shop and give all their money to the huge corporate asshole chain stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, etc., who in turn via their investments make the big banks rich (none of them bank through small local consumer banks or credit unions), and on and on up.

This black friday bullshit is what is EATING this country. That's why he can bitch about it. It's one of the causes =\
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:20 am

endorsement from Hello Cthulhu, my life is complete :bandit:
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Trielelvan » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:28 am

You speak truth sir. Cthulu approves.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Not that it matters on this board with the zealous atheists and anti-religious types

Who exactly are you aiming that line at ? I myself used to love christmas but since my mom and dad passed away and I dont really have much family its kind of become a rough time of year. I also hate when people wish me a happy holidays when its sposed to be merry christmas.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Arlos » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:10 am

Except that there's what, at LEAST three other groups celebrating holidays this time of year? Jews are celebrating Hanukkah, Kwanzaa is this time of year, pagans celebrate yule, and there's also a sizable contingent of agnostics/atheists. "Merry Christmas" appeals only to Christians. Given how many other groups are ALSO celebrating, why should a generic greeting exclude everyone else? How is that good policy for the store? You want to hear Merry Christmas ONLY, go to church a lot, you'll hear it there.

But I utterly fail to see what possible reason there is to get upset over stores or other groups being MORE inclusive by saying "Happy Holidays" this time of year. Why do you WANT divisiveness?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:58 am

Pretty much agree wholly with Arlos. Don't really understand why fragile Christians get so up in arms over Happy Holidays, when it's simply an inclusive greeting.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:10 am

Same bullshit rhetoric that Christians use when arguing about gay marriage.

My religion RULES, don't you dare try to be inclusive.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Lyion » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Spazz wrote: Who exactly are you aiming that line at ? I myself used to love christmas but since my mom and dad passed away and I dont really have much family its kind of become a rough time of year.

Sorry to hear that Spazz. You can pretty much figure out who my post was aimed at based on their posts just in this thread.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Kaemon » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:45 pm

For Brin,

The song is from Straight No Chaser, song is exactly about what you're talking about. I get a kick out of it, the animation is quite funny too.

Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Spazz » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Thats what im saying though. Everyone on this board knows that im an atheist and I still get annoyed about people not wishing me a merry christmas. Yes there are other holidays going on but christmas is the big one and most people celebrate it including atheists and jews.

This ones not from youtube so i cant put it up in its own window but its what this thread needed.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... irect=true
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Narrock » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:52 am

I'm going to shop where my dollar stretches the furthest, especially in this economy. If you want to shop at independent mom and pop stores and pay 20-40% more then that's your choice.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:09 pm

Narrock wrote:I'm going to shop where my dollar stretches the furthest, especially in this economy. If you want to shop at independent mom and pop stores and pay 20-40% more then that's your choice.

Not really. Corporate chain stores leave you with little choice but corporate chain stores.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:16 pm

You know, the only way those big chains make money is if people shop there.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:20 pm

Zanchief wrote:You know, the only way those big chains make money is if people shop there.

Yes.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:30 pm

Tossica wrote:
Narrock wrote:I'm going to shop where my dollar stretches the furthest, especially in this economy. If you want to shop at independent mom and pop stores and pay 20-40% more then that's your choice.

Not really. Corporate chain stores leave you with little choice but corporate chain stores.

I buy a shit ton of computer parts and accessories. Newegg is a gigantic retailer and I save 20%-40% by shopping them over say PC Component, a little mom n pop computer store up the street from me. Fry's Electronics has better prices too. I'm actually grateful for the gigantic retailers. The only one I don't buy from is Best Buy, who should change their name to Worst Buy. I also get cleaning supplies and hygiene items at wal mart or Target because of the prices.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Current Affairs