buzzfeed's 45 most moving photos of 2011

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

buzzfeed's 45 most moving photos of 2011

Postby brinstar » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:27 pm

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-most ... os-of-2011

what's your favorite? i gotta go with #12, christians forming a human shield just so muslims can pray. fuuuuuck.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: buzzfeed's 45 most moving photos of 2011

Postby Lyion » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:09 am

The Muslims in Egypt are not in any danger. Unlike the Coptic Christians.

#20 almost makes me cry. It did when I saw it on the news. It still has that effect on me.

Slain Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson's dog "Hawkeye" lies next to his casket during funeral services in Rockford, Iowa. Tumilson was one of 30 American soldiers killed in Afghanistan on August 6 when their helicopter was shot down during a mission to help fellow troops who had come under fire.

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:06 am

Lyion wrote:The Muslims in Egypt are not in any danger. Unlike the Coptic Christians.

i realize this

but unless i'm mistaken the photo surfaced from coverage of tahrir square

muslims had to pray, but feared becoming easy targets for crowd suppression tactics; christians on the scene respected that and stood guard for them so they could pray uninterrupted
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gypsiyee » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:56 am

Lyion wrote:#20 almost makes me cry. It did when I saw it on the news. It still has that effect on me.

this one was the one that hit me the most too. there are a lot of amazing photos in there though.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Kaemon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 am

I guess it is true about that old saying...100 sailors go in a sub for 6 months, 50 couples return home.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:59 am

I'm guessing that the students in #16 are going to listen to and obey police commands from now on. lol
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 am

it's not against the law to peacefully assemble.. it's a right guaranteed in the constitution. they're sitting down, not rioting. that's a clearly overzealous use of force and abuse of 'power' (whatever power a campus rent-a-cop has). not really something that's laughable, kind of bad form there Erik.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:07 am

Gypsiyee wrote:it's not against the law to peacefully assemble.. it's a right guaranteed in the constitution. they're sitting down, not rioting. that's a clearly overzealous use of force and abuse of 'power' (whatever power a campus rent-a-cop has). not really something that's laughable, kind of bad form there Erik.

First of all, I'm a huge supporter of the right to peacefully assemble, and I furthermore am empathetic to these students protesting the tuition hikes. Secondly, these are not "rent-a-cops" but a legitimate police department, where the officers had to go to a California police academy. They are commissioned officers just like deputy sheriffs or city cops or highway patrol officers. If an officer gives you a lawful command (which is the case here) and you refuse, then whatever happens to you after that is your fault for disobeying that lawful order. If the officers chose to go hands on and physically remove those students, things would have been worse. The cops didn't do anything wrong. I laughed because of the arrogance of those students. Bad form? Bullshit. Excessive force would have been if the cops shot the students or whacked them upside their heads with batons.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:04 am

Mindia's right. Pepper spray is made to be as harmless as possible.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:22 am

Then I'd recommend you spray some pure capsaicin in your eyes and let me know how harmless it feels. It's regarded as an illegal arms weapon in some countries for a reason. Causes body spasms, temporary blindness, difficulty breathing, etc. Nonchalantly galavanting down a line of sitting protesters who don't impose any danger to anyone and hosing them down with that vile shit is unnecessary. You realize that pepper spray can be lethal in some circumstances, yes? I'm not saying it's not a good alternative in some situations, but peaceful protest isn't one of those situations where it's needed.

They're well within their rights to protest, and what's the point of a protest if someone can just come tell you to gtfo and you're like 'oh ok sir, I didn't really care about this cause anyway. I'll be on my way then.'
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:38 am

Gypsiyee wrote:Then I'd recommend you spray some pure capsaicin in your eyes and let me know how harmless it feels. It's regarded as an illegal arms weapon in some countries for a reason. Causes body spasms, temporary blindness, difficulty breathing, etc. Nonchalantly galavanting down a line of sitting protesters who don't impose any danger to anyone and hosing them down with that vile shit is unnecessary. You realize that pepper spray can be lethal in some circumstances, yes? I'm not saying it's not a good alternative in some situations, but peaceful protest isn't one of those situations where it's needed.

They're well within their rights to protest, and what's the point of a protest if someone can just come tell you to gtfo and you're like 'oh ok sir, I didn't really care about this cause anyway. I'll be on my way then.'

I've been pepper-sprayed by law-enforcement-grade oleoresin capsicum at both police academies I attended, one in California, one in Nevada. Yeah it sucks... All the more reason to obey an officer's commands.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:45 am

Shrug, there comes a time where you have to disperse a protest. They are being a nuisance on the campus. Are you saying there is no limit to how long a peaceful protest can take place on private property? It seems the police were pretty restrained. No one was seriously hurt, and they all get to line up and sue the police department. Everyone wins.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 am

I get so sick of bullshit terms like "excessive force" and "police brutality.". I'm not denying that it doesn't happen once in a great while, but I bet 98% of those claims are pure bullshit by some loser who just wants a big cash payout. I can't help but to think of Chris Rock's "How to NOT get your ass beat by the police." LOL. It's on YouTube.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:55 am

The police were called out to the quad to remove tents which the students had already done by the time the police had arrived. The protest was peaceful and in fact most universities including UC Davis encourage student's rights for peaceful protest on school grounds so long as it remains peaceful, clean etc etc and that people aren't setting up camps. This protest was done mid day. There were also multiple exit points and gaps that police officers could have easily accessed so that throws the whole "surrounded" argument out the window.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:59 am

Yes, I'm sure the school was encouraging them while calling the police.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Jay » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:13 pm

Chancellor Katehi called the police to disperse the encampment. Not stop the protest. She wanted the tents removed and for no one to stay over night. The UC Davis quad has had protest movements since the Vietnam War.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:20 pm

Whatever the students were doing should have ceased when the police said "MOVE." If a cop tells me that, I'm not gonna say "hell no, we won't go" or whatever... I'm gonna fucking MOVE. Plain and simple. That's a true win-win.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:29 pm

well, Erik, I sure hope that when your constitutional rights are violated for no reason you're still as pro-governmental intervention as you are in this case.

so, when all those evil liberals come to take your guns away in the imaginary super-government-controlled future, I hope you're ready to just say 'here you go sir' because after all, that'd be a lawful order and you should cease your rights immediately upon said order.
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 pm

Gypsiyee wrote:well, Erik, I sure hope that when your constitutional rights are violated for no reason you're still as pro-governmental intervention as you are in this case.

so, when all those evil liberals come to take your guns away in the imaginary super-government-controlled future, I hope you're ready to just say 'here you go sir' because after all, that'd be a lawful order and you should cease your rights immediately upon said order.

That will never happen. They're trying, but it will never happen.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:39 pm

Jay wrote:Chancellor Katehi called the police to disperse the encampment. Not stop the protest. She wanted the tents removed and for no one to stay over night. The UC Davis quad has had protest movements since the Vietnam War.

That sounds like the exact thing I would say if I wanted to distance my self from controversy.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gypsiyee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

Narrock wrote:
Gypsiyee wrote:well, Erik, I sure hope that when your constitutional rights are violated for no reason you're still as pro-governmental intervention as you are in this case.

That will never happen. They're trying, but it will never happen.

of course it won't (and they're not trying) which is why i said imaginary, but let's say it did for the sake of argument. would you still have the same stance?
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:26 pm

On one side we have full blown fascism where a government run police state is trying to control and subdue its citizens.

On the other side we have radical terrorists protesting and disrupting things.

I think we can look past the rhetoric and see that this story falls somewhere in the middle and the use of excessive force is based on subjective moral guidelines, Gyps
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:51 pm

You're talking apples and oranges, and trying to trip me up. A. Tuition hikes and getting pepper-sprayed by the police is NOT a violation of your constitutional rights. B. Taking away your gun rights is a democrat's wet dream, and IS a blatant violation of our constitutional rights. Again, apples and oranges... Nice try on trying to trip me up or make me out to be some kind of hypocrite.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:53 pm

Mindia, check some of the news reports about the UC Davis thing. Everyone, including police experts themselves, are saying what that cop did there was entirely out of line. The students had *NOT* been ordered to disperse. They were not disobeying any orders whatsoever. He just went and did it.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:57 pm

Doesn't matter. As a police officer, you don't have to ask your sergeant what to do every time you have an issue. You have to be able to think on your feet and react quickly to situations. Like I said, if he had used his gun or baton, that's a different story.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Next

Return to Current Affairs