Occupy the Ports

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Occupy the Ports

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:34 am

Occupy activists shut down several major west coast ports yesterday, ostensibly "to send a message to the 1%" etc. now i know we've all been over and over our views on Occupy here, and as much as i feel like more of you would be on board if only i could explain it correctly, that's a tiresome discussion i'm not really interested in recreating just yet

but the reason i started this thread is something that came out yesterday in (pre-emptive) response to critics within the port workers. mindia this is specifically for you:

http://cleanandsafeports.org/blog/2011/ ... the-ports/

as our only (?) resident west coast trucker i am curious as to how this letter relates to your experiences, whether the issues it raises are shared among all west coast truckers or are just specific to port truckers, and finally your general take on the letter itself
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: Occupy the Ports

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:30 am

Fucking occutards. For every day they block the ports, they cause a one-week delay in goods delivered. They have NO FUCKING IDEA that their efforts are harming the truckers who are trying to make a living and provide for their families. FUCK OFF OCCUTARDS. Bad, ignorant clowns with their heads up their fucking asses.
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:51 am

Narrock wrote:Fucking occutards. For every day they block the ports, they cause a one-week delay in goods delivered. They have NO FUCKING IDEA that their efforts are harming the truckers who are trying to make a living and provide for their families. FUCK OFF OCCUTARDS. Bad, ignorant clowns with their heads up their fucking asses.

All that aside, did you READ it?
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:53 am

Bottom line is that the occutards are doing the country more harm than good, and they are huting the wrong people. Collateral damage to a severe extent.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Trielelvan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:58 am

That still isn't an answer of "yes" or "no," nor is it a viewpoint regarding the article itself.
HyPhY GhEtTo MaMi wrote:GeT ofF mAh OvaRiEz
Trielelvan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:35 am

dude, what the fuck? seriously? take a deep breath and start over.

how about you read the article and put some actual thought into what i asked?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 am

I could poke so many holes in that letter it's not even funny. Where to begin.... Ok, first off, whoever wrote that letter is right about that an owner-operator pays most, if not all, expenses. Why? Because the average O/O makes about 240k gross annually, with a net of 90-120k, and the average company driver makes 45-65k annually... Hardly a fast-food part-timer salary. And if that particular group of truckers wants a union so bad, maybe contact the Teamsters... the biggest trucker union in America, although wal-mart will never go on board with a union, understandably so. The more I read the "letter" the more I'm suspicious that this person was either a paid plant to spread propaganda, or it's a rogue disgruntled trucker with his head up his ass. Be happy you have a good-paying job in this bad economy. And if you don't like the working conditions or circumstances surrounding the trucking industry... GTFO and go do something else, OR go haul something else that doesn't require picking up a load at the ports. One of my friends works at Sygma, a division of Sysco restaurant supply. He made 90k last year delivering BK's and Applebees. I have another friend who hauls hot asphalt oil, and makes 65k a year. I have another friend who hauls dirt and rock and makes 70k working 9-10 months a year. Every propane driver I know makes at least 50k a year. Opportunities are endless. Oh, and every trucker I know had nothing positive to say about the occupy movement when the subject came up. Sorry Alex, most people just aren't on board with the occupy movement.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:51 am

Way to be against something that could potentially make life better for you and your fellow Americans. Real smart.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 am

Tossica wrote:Way to be against something that could potentially make life better for you and your fellow Americans. Real smart.

It's consensus, holmes.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Narrock wrote:I could poke so many holes in that letter it's not even funny. Where to begin.... Ok, first off, whoever wrote that letter is right about that an owner-operator pays most, if not all, expenses. Why? Because the average O/O makes about 240k gross annually, with a net of 90-120k, and the average company driver makes 45-65k annually... Hardly a fast-food part-timer salary. And if that particular group of truckers wants a union so bad, maybe contact the Teamsters... the biggest trucker union in America, although wal-mart will never go on board with a union, understandably so. The more I read the "letter" the more I'm suspicious that this person was either a paid plant to spread propaganda, or it's a rogue disgruntled trucker with his head up his ass. Be happy you have a good-paying job in this bad economy. And if you don't like the working conditions or circumstances surrounding the trucking industry... GTFO and go do something else, OR go haul something else that doesn't require picking up a load at the ports. One of my friends works at Sygma, a division of Sysco restaurant supply. He made 90k last year delivering BK's and Applebees. I have another friend who hauls hot asphalt oil, and makes 65k a year. I have another friend who hauls dirt and rock and makes 70k working 9-10 months a year. Every propane driver I know makes at least 50k a year. Opportunities are endless. Oh, and every trucker I know had nothing positive to say about the occupy movement when the subject came up. Sorry Alex, most people just aren't on board with the occupy movement.

try imagining for a moment that every single word of the letter was demonstrably true. would it change your response?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:34 pm

No, because the letter is a far cry from reality.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:35 pm

thanks for playing lol

LOOK! A SQUIRREL!
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tossica » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:37 pm

Narrock wrote:No, because the letter is a far cry from reality.

Possibly not YOUR reality. There are other people that live in this country too.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:49 pm

Tossica wrote:
Narrock wrote:No, because the letter is a far cry from reality.

Possibly not YOUR reality. There are other people that live in this country too.

Definitely not MY reality, and definitely not reality from any other trucker I know. But you're right in one aspect... I don't know every trucker out there.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 pm

brinstar wrote:thanks for playing lol

LOOK! A SQUIRREL!

Alex, it was MY pleasure, buddy. Hey, what's the squirrel reference all about?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm

good lord
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Current Affairs