RIP habeas corpus

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

RIP habeas corpus

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:59 am

the skinny: president obama, in accord with numerous congressional members on both sides of the isle, codifies indefinite military detention without trial for anyone the executive branch says is a terrorism suspect, which does not exclude US citizens apprehended on US soil. cenk nails it here. this shoots big holes in habeas corpus and posse comitatus. i am not okay with this.

with the exception of Sens Sanders and Kucinich and Rep Slaughter, i am entirely done with anyone currently holding federal office. fuck them all.

also, a preemptive "f off" to anyone here who would rather discredit the source than listen to the words. might as well throw a bonus bird to anyone who feels like accusing me of letting someone else speak for me. if you want to read my words, click my sig.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: RIP habeas corpus

Postby vonkaar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am

:ugh: Young Turks... way to form your own opinions
:teehee:

But seriously...

I don't want to live in this world anymore. I'm so beyond disgusted by this and my feelings are identical to those expressed in the rant. It was like a kick in the gut when he mentioned Al Franken. I hate this congress so fucking much; and shame on... fuck man, I mean I 'd say shame on Obama but it's fucking everyone. This isn't a gray-area like my stances on the death penalty, immigration or gun control. There's division inside the party on all of these issues. ALL of the left is supposed to agree on protecting our fucking civil liberties. What the FUCK??

I'm not even angry really. I'm past that. I've moved into a somber feeling of mourning. We're so fucked up in so many ways it's truly depressing.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
Gaazy wrote:Now vonk on the other hand, is one of the most self absorbed know it alls in my memory of this site. Ive always thought so, and I still cant understand why in gods name he is here
vonkaar
Sexy Ass
Sexy Ass

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:49 am

Ben Franklin wrote:They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Franklin's Contributions to the Conference on February 17 (III) Fri, Feb 17, 1775

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Spazz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Well Arlos and Brinstar what do you propose we do about it ? I know we can all go down to dc and have a big drum circle that will show em whos boss and that we wont stand for this shit.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby brinstar » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:27 pm

drum circles don't magically zap away fascism dude your cynicism is misdirected (albeit well-played)

IMO the answer is to harness social media and set up a new party or parties whose candidates believe in things like civil rights and responsible government and equality for all

use viral tactics to short-circuit the traditional two-party system's corrupt excesses and organize a massive write-in campaign to replace Rep and Dem with Other and send the message "fuck ALL of you, your time is OVER"
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Spazz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I know im being a dick and ya dont deserve it. I vote and I will vote but it seems pretty useless. I dont think we can change a thing because theres just to much money to fight against. Even if you got a complete recall of everyone in DC a new crop would go in and get they bribes and forget about us. Ill give you a few examples so oyu know where I am coming from.

A ton of people came out against the war in iraq and protested and our govt didnt care.

I think enough people have come out for gays to have equal rights and it gets ignored

Huge portions of our country wanted something done about health care

Huge numbers of people want to talk about the war on drugs

and so on and so on the people speak to the govt and the govt just refuses to listen. What do you do when you know that no matter what you do or say your government will ignore you and cater to special interests? Protesting doesnt work voting doesnt work so where do we go from there. Nothing short of a french revolution style revolt is going to accomplish a whole lot. We got told to eat cake a while ago now and not a single head has rolled.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:17 pm

I think what Alex is talking about could happen. A REAL grass roots effort through social media. It might cost a bit of money but nowhere near as much as it costs the corps to get their bitches elected.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:27 pm

I hate to piss on your parade but no it isnt. To do that shit you would have to get people in this country to give a fuck and get involved which just isnt going to happen. The corruption goes to the highest levels and will do whatever it has to do to protect itself. Them dudes in Dc arent going to give up that money and power without a fight. If they feel really threatened they will rewrite the laws and shut down your movement in a heartbeat. You can spread word of mouth and protest all you like those guys in power arent going anywhere :(
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Return to Current Affairs