E-verify and i9 Express

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: E-verify and i9 Express

Postby Zanchief » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:38 am

Lyion wrote:I believe Drem's point was to refute an earlier one made by Kaem that many people feel too 'entitled' to wash dishes, scrub floors, or be a short order cook. Thus those jobs go to people coming from countries with no jobs who will do that sort of labor.

Since you empathize with the entitlement mentality I figured you would get the point. It had nothing to do with black, white, or latino or racebaiting.

Yea, no. He said all the good restaurants are run by white people and only the shitty ones have "latino's". He may not have been trying to make a racist comment, but it's racist nonetheless.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:49 am

That's not how I read it. I read it as, perhaps his restaurant cares enough about it's employees that they pay a living wage so have access to workers beyond those willing to work for less than a living wage.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Lyion wrote:I believe Drem's point was to refute an earlier one made by Kaem that many people feel too 'entitled' to wash dishes, scrub floors, or be a short order cook. Thus those jobs go to people coming from countries with no jobs who will do that sort of labor.

Since you empathize with the entitlement mentality I figured you would get the point. It had nothing to do with black, white, or latino or racebaiting.

Yea, no. He said all the good restaurants are run by white people and only the shitty ones have "latino's". He may not have been trying to make a racist comment, but it's racist nonetheless.

ok you just don't understand what i'm talking about at all. lyion and tossica are right

i don't know how all this happens, it's just a fact. a shitty restaurant like Denny's or something will hire illegals or immigrants for the simple fact that they can pay them minimum wage and never give them a raise. corporate knows this and abuses it. and as a side effect, every job in a restaurant pays minimum wage or a dollar or two more for cooks

in my personal experience, i prefer latino workers because they stay on task, they don't try to fuck the waitresses, they're always in a good mood, they work fast and accurately and generally kick ass. white kids that come in applying for our dishwashing or pantry positions are usually 18 or 19, extremely entitled, might not know how to clean a toilet as full grown adults, and employing them always turns into a revolving door of turnover.

we just fired our two idiot college students that were washing dishes and let this guy take all their shifts after he showed up out of nowhere and made them look pathetic. these people earn it. shit i basically learned my work ethic from working with latinos in kitchens. i'm not trying to be "racist" in any way

if i'm being racist here it's the fact that i think most americans are fucking awful at working. so all the corporate cash cow restaurants employ latinos because they know the job will get done. the rich pretentious bullshit restaurants are generally staffed with asshole pretentious americans

PS: no. i said i'm "thankful" because these new laws won't effect my business. i'm "thankful" we have americans that actually know how to work hard. in my restaurant, like tossica said, we pay people livable wages, we tip the dish out fat, give them free food, free drinks on a shitty day, and have one of the tightest crews i've ever had the pleasure of working with.

pretty much exactly the opposite of whatever you think's going on here. i never said "white people work harder" blah blah blah blah blah
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby ClakarEQ » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:28 pm

I know when I go to Costco or Sams and have to show a photo ID, my wife’s long blond hair looks real close to me with short black and white hair, and yet they let me in /boggle

Kidding aside (although I am not kidding on my statement above), I just don't know that photo ID will actually "fix" it. I look at this akin to adding another law on the books that laws should already speak to. Since I'm not in a knowledgeable position for this I'll defer to the all-knowing folks here (tongue-n-cheek).

Less than 60% of folks vote, does anyone have numbers on what percent of that 60 are "fraudulent"? .5%? 1%? what is it .00002% ?

Some of the points made re: the current photo id requirements almost all rotate around security because of an event, 911, bombings, underage drinking/smoking, etc.

High school kids make fake ID's that let them into bars but folks that knowingly want to create voter fraud I guess lack the skills to create fake ID's, is this really what you think?

Seriously, do you think it will actually solve it, or just cost money and solve nothing in the long run?
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:07 pm

A photo ID alone is very simple to replicate. It's when you factor in E-verify that it becomes more robust. This ignores the other issue of the states and the Fed using the Social Security number as a one size fits all ID, which it was never intended for and is hugely insecure.

Since in a lot of states there is no photo ID requirement, there is no real idea how much or little fraud is occuring. Maybe they should start adding that to the exit polls. I personally would prefer something robust to try and make the process as fair as possible without causing any issues to those who desire to vote. Again, I have yet to hear one valid argument against E-verify and a Photo ID for voting.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:32 pm

It's a solution in search of a problem.

I think the large amounts of $$$ and effort that it would require to implement could be FAR better directed towards other uses, especially in this age of budget cutting fervor. In the absence of ANY evidence of anything approaching even moderate-scale voter fraud, I just think there are much more important things to worry about. (Plus all the other considerations about people with difficulties for whatever reason of getting photo ID, etc.)

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Kaemon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 pm

Viable living wage?

What do you consider a viable living wage for dishwashing?

Throw me some numbers and I'll calculate how much a 10oz sirloin would run you if I had to pay that amount.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Kaemon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Drem wrote:PS: no. i said i'm "thankful" because these new laws won't effect my business.

You might want to check the state you live in, As far as I know, at least 30 states have adopted or will be adopting E-verify as mandatory for filing electronic I9's.
Adivina wrote:We are the most bipolar acting community, bunch of manics with the mood swings on here.
Kaemon
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Drem » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:30 am

$9.50 to 10.50 for dish depending on ethic and roughly ~$20 to $25 a day in tips for smokes, weed, booze and gas on top of sweet personally tailored meals that are beyond the crew chow because you have to realise your dishwashers are your defensive line. the shit doesn't work without good dish that can bust out and then turn around and peel buckets of carrots and onions for you

i dunno what kinda joint you're running but if something that our owner hasn't even heard about yet (we're in eugene, OR, by the way) affects your business this bad you might wanna rethink what you're doing. wasn't trying to argue with you really /shrug

again, i don't see how these laws will effect my restaurant at all. maybe they will in the future, but until someone on our crew implodes from too much partying, like they seem to do every 3 to 6 months, i'm not going to worry about it
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Previous

Return to Current Affairs