SOPA / PIPA

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: SOPA / PIPA

Postby Zanchief » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Tossica wrote:
Zanchief wrote:
Tossica wrote:Copies for your own personal use are legal. Copies for your friends are not.

You say legal like you are equiped to answer this question factually, when all you are doing is providing an opinion. Neither is legally stealing.

In Canada it's legal to download copyrighted music and movies. In the US, it is NOT legal.

You guys can argue semantics all you want. If you are honest with yourselves, you KNOW that sharing music, movies, etc that the copyright holder does not want you to, is wrong. You KNOW that piracy and counterfeiting hurt the industries. Whether you care is another story.

And now we make an emotional plea. I’ve had so many arguments about this and they all end the same. First you argue the legal angle, when you lose, you argue the moral angle. Both are a dead end.

Sharing a movie you own would fall under your moral wrong. The act itself is no different then sharing on the internet. The scope is all that is different, and the law doesn’t care. The fact that no one is profiting is what is tripping everyone up.

Do I think DL have hurt “the industry”? I can’t speak for music, but movies? No. Not at all. I think it’s actually helped. It’s given people the ease to watch tens of thousands of classic or foreign movies that would otherwise be completely inaccessible. Those people are movie fans for life. People who download movies, are people who have an interest in movies. The only immediate lost revenue is to rental stores like blockbuster. Those dollars have gone to Netflix instead. Even without brick or mortar rental shops, people are still buying DVDs and Blu-Rays in record numbers. Why? Because people have an interest in film. People who care, shop. The best thing for “the industry” to do? Keep going after torrent sites who stand to profit from adds and leave the rest of the people alone.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:09 pm

Not sure if it's real, seems real
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=15396093

If that is the case, then it only goes to prove the massive waste of time and money SOPA would be. If they can already do "this" WTF do we need anything more for?

Hope you didn't use megaupload to share your legit stuff :p. Hells that isn't even a torrent service LOL
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tossica » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:30 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:Not sure if it's real, seems real
http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=15396093

If that is the case, then it only goes to prove the massive waste of time and money SOPA would be. If they can already do "this" WTF do we need anything more for?

Hope you didn't use megaupload to share your legit stuff :p. Hells that isn't even a torrent service LOL

READ THE BILL.

It gives them some tools to do this to FOREIGN websites. That's all. It allows them to stop US companies from advertising on the sites and allows them to block payments from Paypal, etc to the site owners.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Toss, megaupload is a foreign site, it's out of Hong-Kong from what I understand.

Please provide me a link to this bill, I can't seem to locate it as any search pulls up tons of anti-SOPA BS. Even tried to query the gov sites and that resulted in tons of talking head BS.

EDIT
I found some more info on it, they did have some servers in the US but they shut it all down, only skimmed this: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... onomyId=82
Not everthing was "'here" though, you could say 2/3's of the site was foreign :p
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Lyion » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:00 am

I believe they're based in New Zealand from this BBC article:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16642369

Megaupload, one of the internet's largest file-sharing sites, has been shut down by officials in the US.

The site's founders have been charged with violating piracy laws.

Federal prosecutors have accused it of costing copyright holders more than $500m (£320m) in lost revenue. The firm says it was diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

In response, the hackers group Anonymous has targeted the FBI and US Department of Justice websites.

The news came a day after anti-piracy law protests, but investigators said they were ordered two weeks ago.

The US Justice Department said that Megaupload's two co-founders Kim Dotcom, formerly known as Kim Schmitz, and Mathias Ortmann were arrested in Auckland, New Zealand along with two other employees of the business at the request of US officials. It added that three other defendants were still at large.

"This action is among the largest criminal copyright cases ever brought by the United States and directly targets the misuse of a public content storage and distribution site to commit and facilitate intellectual property crime," said a statement posted on its website.

The FBI website was intermittently unavailable on Thursday evening due to what officials said was being "treated as a malicious act".

The hackers' group Anonymous said it was carrying out the attacks.

The Motion Picture Association of America's website also suffered disruption.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Tossica » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:27 am

Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tuggan » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:22 pm

the internet wins.

pipa postponed, sopa "indefinitely" delayed.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:37 pm

Strange... I've never met or heard of a poor platinum selling musician excluding the ones who blew through a fortune before becoming poor.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:47 am

i haven't paid for media besides xbox 360 games since i got burgled years ago. i don't see the point in spending money on this shit because it's the first thing people steal from you. i borrow from friends, use netflix, and get 100% of my music thru rapidshare or mediafire or whatever. doesn't bother me at all

PS: is that question about "how do you DJ with only vinyl" real? i hope that was a joke
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby ClakarEQ » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:16 am

Yes that was a joke.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Previous

Return to Current Affairs