Protect freedom of speech

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Protect freedom of speech

Postby Arlos » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

Or the way McCain is being "dragged thu the coals simply for stating an opinion" by Limbaugh and the right after he stood up and called it like it is when he said that Michelle Bachman was completely off her rocker with her McCarthyist letter about "muslim infiltrators", etc.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:25 pm

You'll never surprise me, Mindia.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Ganzo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:39 pm

How is this:
Ganzo wrote:There is no big picture here, you are making something out of nothing. For some reason many people think that freedom of speech means I can say whatever I want and you have to like it no matter what the message is. Freedom of speech means that I am free to say something stupid and you are free to say that what I said is stupid and take offence at it if you feel the need to do so. The Left is just as free to hate on this guy as he is free to hate on same sex marriage; that's the beauty of freedom.

Narrock wrote:Ganzo, you're still missing the point, so I don't know what else to tell you.

different from this:

Narrock wrote:
Arlos wrote:
Narrock wrote:Oh and Arlos, thank you for understanding why we're eating at Chick-Fil-A. :). I hope you go too simply in defense of freedom of speech.

Nope, I will be boycotting it as an expression of my OWN freedom of speech. I completely disagree with the owner's position, so I am speaking otu in my own way against it. He has the right to say it, I have the right to disagree with it.

-Arlos

LOL. Fair enough ;)

or you just not agreeing with me personaly?

Back to the point though, we are both religious people, so as one to the other can you tell me why same sex marriage should be illegal?
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Because god said so. Asking a religious bigot to explain they stance is pointless. God and the church said it was wrong and thats good enough for them.

Ill bite Mindia please explain to me how to fags shacking up damages society in any way shape or form. Other than its against your religion please explain this shit to me.

To me it seems that if something is against your religion than dont take part in it. Why do the rest of us have to live according to YOUR god ?

Also fuck a chick fil a i want some kfc
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby ClakarEQ » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:31 pm

The religious believe by allowing this type of activity to take place you compromise religion as a whole and religion and compromise do not, cannot coexist.

Religion is a rigid wall that takes decades of work to adjust and form. Religion is not a free flowing flexible thing to mold to ones desires or wishes.

Same sex marriage is perceived by all (not literally) religion as one of the most heinous atrocities. You can kill in the name of religion but you cannot condone same sex intermingles.

BTW, I forgot to mention, I’m an atheist now /zing =D
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ganzo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 pm

Nether of you guys are describing real religious people. People you are talking about are as far from the true spirit of religious faith as Alex Jones from News Journalism
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:53 pm

I hate alex jones. Im not saying all people of faith are the devil. I am saying I have met a lot of mindias over the years. They try to wield god like a club and beat everyone into submission and that shit is really not for me. Ive met some very loving and kind people too but they arent the ones all freaked out about queers pot arabs and what ever else the fox news christians rage on about.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:54 pm

oops dub post
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Menelvir » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:03 pm

I'm no more interested in the religious or moral beliefs of a restaurant chain's owner than I could be interested in the thoughts of an ant.

If your restaurant makes good food, then that fact is the sole basis of my decision whether or not to give my patronage. In like manner, I wouldn't really give two shits whether my dentist was an atheist, a Christian, or a Muslim. The fact has no relevance to how he practices dentistry and doesn't reflect his skill in such practice.

On the other hand, a restaurant owner or dentist deliberately promoting or drawing attention to facts about himself that have nothing whatever to do with my decision on where to eat or get my teeth cleaned, may alter my decision to support (or not) said establishment on the basis of the irrelevance of such facts to my hunger/my dirty teeth.

I suppose if you fall into a certain political camp, this entire sequence of events might be nothing short of a brilliant marketing campaign. No such thing as bad publicity, right?
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Narrock » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:13 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:The religious believe by allowing this type of activity to take place you compromise religion as a whole and religion and compromise do not, cannot coexist.

Religion is a rigid wall that takes decades of work to adjust and form. Religion is not a free flowing flexible thing to mold to ones desires or wishes.

Same sex marriage is perceived by all (not literally) religion as one of the most heinous atrocities. You can kill in the name of religion but you cannot condone same sex intermingles.

BTW, I'm not religious. This whole issue is about freedom of speech being trampled on by the left. Oh, and it was my first time to Chick-fil-A today, and it was great! The whole family loved it. We'll definitely be going more often. It was epic today... 2 drive-thru lanes backed up a couple hundred cars deep, and people lined up out the door all the way to the opposite end of the building and around the corner. It was awesome to see so many people show up for freedom of speech. :boots:
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:36 pm

Freedom of speech, my ass. Promote hatred and intolerance is more like it.

Narrock wrote:
ClakarEQ wrote:The religious believe by allowing this type of activity to take place you compromise religion as a whole and religion and compromise do not, cannot coexist.

BTW, I'm not religious. This whole issue is about freedom of speech being trampled on by the left. Oh, and it was my first time to Chick-fil-A today, and it was great! The whole family loved it. We'll definitely be going more often. It was epic today... 2 drive-thru lanes backed up a couple hundred cars deep, and people lined up out the door all the way to the opposite end of the building and around the corner. It was awesome to see so many people show up for freedom of speech. :boots:
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Spazz » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:36 pm

Jesus clearly was far more concerned about preaching love and peace, and not judging others, than what constitutes a modern white american, government subsidized marriage. Have you read the Bible?

Jesus would have not said a word about this whole Chik Fil-A thing. Want to know why? Because you've now alienated millions of people who the Bible says you should be trying to bring to Christ. You think all the gays are going to be like "Yeah, lets go check out that Bible shit!" after this?

This is about a bunch of bigoted southern white people upholding their 20th/21st century dogmatic religious beliefs and sticking it to the "liberals". You are failing miserably at what the Bible actually commands you to do regarding other people. But you seem content to pretend like the Bible in anyway endorses you forcing your personal religious beliefs on others.

Jesus would vomit at the sight of modern "Christianity".

the internet

Theres a good fight about this goin on another board i lurk on. I thought i would share that here.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Arlos » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:06 pm

Narrock wrote:

That's just it, how was his freedom of speech in any way trampled on given that no laws of any kind were passed in an attempt to keep the restaurant out of anywhere? The people on the left slamming him are just exercising their OWN freedom of speech. So please, could you explain to me how in any way his freedom of speech was trampled on?

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Jay » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:09 am

Hook, line and sinker you guys. You'd think after years of knowing each other we'd know not to feed the troll by now.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 am

Arlos wrote:
Narrock wrote:

That's just it, how was his freedom of speech in any way trampled on given that no laws of any kind were passed in an attempt to keep the restaurant out of anywhere? The people on the left slamming him are just exercising their OWN freedom of speech. So please, could you explain to me how in any way his freedom of speech was trampled on?
-Arlos
. Eh? C'mon dude. You're just towing the political line now as well as being as far from objective as you can be. Look, Dan Cathy merely stated in an interview that he supports the "defense of marriage" act ... you know... the same act that OBAMA supported up until May of this year! Anyway, Mr. Cathy made that statement, and the ridiculous hypocritical shitstorm came down on him from the left. Rahm Emmanuel's statement saying he would block CFA from opening a store in Chicago is a blatant example of trampling on freedom of speech, as well displaying a prime example of hate and intolerance of other points of view. The asshole mayor of Boston made similar radical leftist-extremist comments and threats. Now stop asking me to show you examples of how Dan Cathy's freedom of speech was being trampled by the left because I've shown you several times now in this thread. If you choose to turn a blind eye to it or be delusional about it... that's your problem.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby leah » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:09 am

Jay wrote:Hook, line and sinker you guys. You'd think after years of knowing each other we'd know not to feed the troll by now.

truth. i don't know why i even read threads in Current Affairs anymore. it just gets me all upset, and i know replying won't do any good, so i just sit here and stew. rargh.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:12 am

I wasn't responding to the OP, i was responding to Ganzo, and I did answer your question, you just don't like the answer.

Religious folks cannot fathom in their minds how anyone could believe same sex intermingling is "right". Due to this fact, in their own mind, it is wrong, it should be stopped. What is so hard to get with that?

If you think something is wrong, would you not do something to stop it? It's no different here, I don't understand what part you're not getting. I don't agree with it, but do not be so closed minded to not understand or try to understand the crazy religion brings to the table.

The problem most religious folks tend to overlook, Christians specifically here, you are to love EVERYONE, regardless of your perceived failings of them, be it a child rapist, or a "homo". You don't get to pick who or why, you're told by God himself to love those people. To forgive those people. In fact part of a Christians job (whom nearly 100% fail at), you are to side with those "bad" people to bring them up from the "perceived" gutter, not put them down, slam them to the ground, put them to death, etc.

That is also why any true, real Christian, absolutely cannot condone capital punishment. Christ himself teaches this in the “good book”.

Re: the OP, Mindias post, Let him do what he wants just as Arlos and most of the rest of us will do what we want. All express, in that case, not freedom of speech, but freedom of choice driven by someone else’s freedom of speech. It is 100% in your ability to act on the words of someone, that is all folks are doing here, in this chic-fil-a BS (IMO).
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Ganzo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:19 am

ClakarEQ wrote:I wasn't responding to the OP, i was responding to Ganzo, and I did answer your question, you just don't like the answer.

Religious folks cannot fathom in their minds how anyone could believe same sex intermingling is "right". Due to this fact, in their own mind, it is wrong, it should be stopped. What is so hard to get with that?

If you think something is wrong, would you not do something to stop it? It's no different here, I don't understand what part you're not getting. I don't agree with it, but do not be so closed minded to not understand or try to understand the crazy religion brings to the table.

The problem most religious folks tend to overlook, Christians specifically here, you are to love EVERYONE, regardless of your perceived failings of them, be it a child rapist, or a "homo". You don't get to pick who or why, you're told by God himself to love those people. To forgive those people. In fact part of a Christians job (whom nearly 100% fail at), you are to side with those "bad" people to bring them up from the "perceived" gutter, not put them down, slam them to the ground, put them to death, etc.

That is also why any true, real Christian, absolutely cannot condone capital punishment. Christ himself teaches this in the “good book”.

See you yourself saying that the true religious person cannot be against same sex marriage because of his faith, which is the same thing I was saying. I don't know about loving everyone and forgiving everyone since I'm not a Christian; but in my faith, I have a very simple job - to improve the world to a level where evil cannot exist. But this is not done by creating laws and banning peoples rights, it is done by first changing myself and acheaving a level where evil thoughts and actions are imposible for myself, and than to provide an example for others. The improvement of other people can only be done through encouragement and personal example though; not through guilt, coersion or forcing my views unto them.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am

Yes and no. I'm saying that true religion doesn't exist and all we have left are cults and sects. I made the statement "true religious person. . . " because that doesn't really exist anymore. Sure there are some folks like that but the far majority are actually part of cults who think they're part of Christianity. I tend to think, in our country, the religious fanatic is a Christian, who "thinks" they follow the bible but in reality they do not. They do this to make themselves feel good about their religion, about themselves, you know, the typical psych babble BS.

You've asked a known Christian (Mindia) why he, or what I've taken to include other Christians, how does same sex marriage damage themselves or others, etc. All I've tried to do is explain that. Also to show via your question how Christians have been brain washed across the globe to believe in hate of your enemy, hate of what you fear, hate of what you do not understand, hate those that are not like me. The crazy of all of that is Christianity is like the very thing you've said in your last couple sentences
But this is not done by creating laws and banning peoples rights, it is done by first changing myself and acheaving a level where evil thoughts and actions are imposible for myself, and than to provide an example for others. The improvement of other people can only be done through encouragement and personal example though; not through guilt, coersion or forcing my views unto them.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Gaazy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:26 am

Lol I went out last night to Lowe's (my new house has a chimney leak, but thats a different story) and went by chickfila and they had to have police out in the road directing traffic there were so many people eatting there. 90 minute waits just to get a sandwich. Ive never seen anything like it. I was thinking WTF is wrong with these people, I can make a good chicken sanwich, pay me for that shit. I posted a thing on facebook the other day that people were booing me for and ill say it again - who gives a shit. Ive got more important shit to worry about than whether two homos want to get married. I may not agree a whole lot or even like them, but if they want to be miserable like other married couples let them
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Narrock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:11 pm

Gaazy wrote:Lol I went out last night to Lowe's (my new house has a chimney leak, but thats a different story) and went by chickfila and they had to have police out in the road directing traffic there were so many people eatting there. 90 minute waits just to get a sandwich. Ive never seen anything like it. I was thinking WTF is wrong with these people, I can make a good chicken sanwich, pay me for that shit. I posted a thing on facebook the other day that people were booing me for and ill say it again - who gives a shit. Ive got more important shit to worry about than whether two homos want to get married. I may not agree a whole lot or even like them, but if they want to be miserable like other married couples let them
. When I first started reading your post I was all happy and was thinking "Cool!" but then as I continued reading, my joy was being deflated because you missed the entire point of the "CFA appreciation day."
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:38 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:Yes and no. I'm saying that true religion doesn't exist and all we have left are cults and sects. I made the statement "true religious person. . . " because that doesn't really exist anymore. Sure there are some folks like that but the far majority are actually part of cults who think they're part of Christianity. I tend to think, in our country, the religious fanatic is a Christian, who "thinks" they follow the bible but in reality they do not. They do this to make themselves feel good about their religion, about themselves, you know, the typical psych babble BS.

I disagree with you, I come in contact with truely religious people all the time. Just because you haven't come in contact with them in your surroundings, does not mean that they do not exist. I do not get involved in Christian politics but i'm sure there are plenty of faith based churches that do not get involved with this type of silliness.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Gaazy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:39 pm

No sir, I understand completely about the CFA appreciation day. MY little point was just that I dont understand why people are caring so much about those people getting married. Its not affecting anyone but them in no way shape or form other than irritating people that are a little less tolerable. I used to be a lot less tolerable to them, but I think Im getting better as I get older. Just the way and people I grew up around
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:25 pm

I did not mean all of my comments as literal, I’d hope you see that knowing I’m not a black and white guy but shades of grey (/hot LOL)

I find all "religious people" to be rather two faced, say and do all the right things while in view, but in reality, in truth they're not.

From priests and preachers, to your common "religious" neighbor (within the Christian majority). Some I think walk the walk, but this is few and far between, a larger majority talk the talk and stop there. It's not so hard to see and find, you just have to know what to look for in order to spot it.

These people you come in contact with all the time, you know them well do you? How do you make this observation? Is it from what they say? Is it when you’re around, how exactly do you know what they think? I’m curious because I run into those exact same folks, but when I walk away, I don’t see them as truly religious. I see them as conveniently religious.

Your religion is a minority in this country, you asked a Christian something, I responded from a Christians perspective and then continued to back my statements to show the ignorance of Christians (whom in this case, is all that matters). I’m bucketing ALL people whom believe Jesus Christ is the Savior as “Christians”.

You say you don't get involved in Christian politics yet ask questions of a country that is majority Christian (like 75% or someshit) /boggle. You injected yourself in the thick of it when you asked your politically charged question of a Christian run country.

BTW, yes I know I’m being a bit cynical LOL
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Maeya » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 am

90 minute waits just to get a sandwich

:ugh: People are nuts. Chic-Fil-A is mediocre at best. AT BEST. You couldn't pay me to wait FIVE minutes for that nasty place, even if they weren't undergoing all the drama.
Maeya
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Current Affairs