Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Rise of the Brown Shirts

Postby Spazz » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:27 am

Wow arlos calm it down G
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby brinstar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:13 am

Lyion wrote:I have no issues with that, but I do question if someone posted a Bushitler picture would you also have modded it? I'm pretty sure it's been done in the past.

posted? or used as an avatar/sig? there's kind of a difference
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Ganzo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:55 pm

Arlos wrote:I've slacked off on modding personal attacks lately. Too much effort, since my life is a lot more busy. (and people seemed to resent it anyway, so blah) When I WAS being anal about it, I DID make an effort to mod everyone equally. I modded Mindia, Brinstar, and anyone else who I thought went too far with personal attacks.

As for the avatar, individual pictures of offensive people aren't, in my opinion, over the line. If he wanted to run with just a picture of Hitler with no verbiage, I wouldn't have batted an eye. (or Pol Pot, Manson, Bush, Idi Amin, etc.) Conflating people WITH nazis in such a fashion crosses one of my personal lines. Sorry, but that's just how it is. You may remember the time I went berserk at someone here when they applied that to me.

In any case, I am not going to change my mind about it, whether you or anyone else agrees or not. If he wishes to post the image himself, he's free to do it in EE all he wants, just not use it as an avatar where it will be seen in every post he makes. In any case, if you're truly upset about it, you are, as always, free to email Gidan and complain.

-Arlos

By making a debated issue over a dumb picture you are giving a lot more power to Mindia's stupidity and turning stupid avatar into a political statement.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Jay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 pm

Arlos wrote:As for the avatar, individual pictures of offensive people aren't, in my opinion, over the line. If he wanted to run with just a picture of Hitler with no verbiage, I wouldn't have batted an eye. (or Pol Pot, Manson, Bush, Idi Amin, etc.) Conflating people WITH nazis in such a fashion crosses one of my personal lines. Sorry, but that's just how it is. You may remember the time I went berserk at someone here when they applied that to me.

In any case, I am not going to change my mind about it, whether you or anyone else agrees or not. If he wishes to post the image himself, he's free to do it in EE all he wants, just not use it as an avatar where it will be seen in every post he makes. In any case, if you're truly upset about it, you are, as always, free to email Gidan and complain.

-Arlos

Well, I do have a problem with it and I'm not taking it up with Gidan I'm takin it up with you or even with Lyion since you're both admins like Gidan and you guys actually actively post. There's 2 things I see in your quote there and it's "in my opinion" and "personal reasons" and to me deleting someone's avatar or modding anyone's posts, even infrequently, shouldn't be done on those grounds. The forum should only be moderated for technical shit , killing spam bots and nsfw stuff in the wrong section. Otherwise we're a bunch of people who've known each other for 10+ years and don't need a moderator.

End of the day you do what you want I guess. Bottom line is moderating what people say or modding avatars for "personal" reasons makes you an asshole.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:28 pm

And Ganzo it has nothing to do with what Mindia says or does. These guys feed the troll. He'll keep trolling. I never post when he does it so I either find it amusing or stupid or both. It doesn't affect me. I just think it's not cool to mod people, be too lazy to mod people, then suddenly motivated because Mindia hurt your feelings.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:11 pm

^^^^ sometimes i wish i could click "like" on posts here
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 pm

There's a Serenity prequel?

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tikker » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:34 pm

Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Durothil Skyreaver » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:11 pm

To be honest, I was thinking Serenity as well.
Durothil Skyreaver
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby brinstar » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 am

yeah i think joss&co would be savvy enough to avoid the phrase "brownshirts" lol

shit that show's awesome though, wish my PS3 hadn't fried or i'd pop in serenity right now
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Zanchief » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:26 am

10th Anniversary panel at comicon this year. Joss pretty much says he's moved on from the property and there wont be anymore movies/shows.

Great watch btw. Its almost an hour though.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tikker » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:36 pm

Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Menelvir » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 am

Zanchief wrote:Mindia only did it to piss people off.

In at least one case, it obviously worked, since action was taken as a result. So I guess the avatar served (at least part) of its intended purpose.

But why stop there? How much of the what Mindia does on this board isn't done just to piss people off? Why not censor the whole account, which I believe has been done before? How many strikes is one allowed in this game?

Censoring one silly, insignificant avatar is arbitrary, woefully lopsided, and gives the impression that any avatar or expressed opinion is fair game if it meets the simple criteria of being offensive, disagreeable, or otherwise not in accord with the opinions of the one doing the censoring.

Generating an angry response might have been part of its purpose - invoking Hitler is usually reserved for the basest and most desperate cases without any substantive matter on which to further appeal. In my case, it would not (did not) have the intended effect, since I would have found it just as easily ignored as any other activity he does on this board.

Censorship is best left to individual choice, not something done by fiat - especially since it's simple enough for each user to do so as he/she deems fit.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby Drem » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:28 pm

Ganzo wrote:
Arlos wrote:I've slacked off on modding personal attacks lately. Too much effort, since my life is a lot more busy. (and people seemed to resent it anyway, so blah) When I WAS being anal about it, I DID make an effort to mod everyone equally. I modded Mindia, Brinstar, and anyone else who I thought went too far with personal attacks.

As for the avatar, individual pictures of offensive people aren't, in my opinion, over the line. If he wanted to run with just a picture of Hitler with no verbiage, I wouldn't have batted an eye. (or Pol Pot, Manson, Bush, Idi Amin, etc.) Conflating people WITH nazis in such a fashion crosses one of my personal lines. Sorry, but that's just how it is. You may remember the time I went berserk at someone here when they applied that to me.

-Arlos

By making a debated issue over a dumb picture you are giving a lot more power to Mindia's stupidity and turning stupid avatar into a political statement.

nice observation!

why does something like this happen every year? think brinstar and i were in it last year when he just up and edited our posts because he felt like it. because we were calling eachother names on the internet. hahahahah

why does this place even need a moderator? the frequent poster roster is at like... 4 to 7 people maybe? no idea why arlos still feels the need to do things like this. mindia has every right to post that pic, even if it's retarded

what a shit show
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Previous

Return to Current Affairs