Romney DESTROYS obama in debate

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Romney DESTROYS obama in debate

Postby Lyion » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:35 am

Tikker wrote:the part that kills me is that jews and muslims and christians all fighting and killing each other over minor religious differences

all pray to the same god

jews still waiting for their messiah

christians pissed at the jews for killing their messiah

muslims pissed at everyone else in the world cause mohammed came back to tell them that the jews and christians fucked up the message

C'mon, Tikker. I know you are still mad at Sunday School or something, but this is a really bad analogy. Really, 99% of the people in the world, most of who are religious, leverage faith to make the world a better place.

That 1% are going to be bad apples, and unfortunately have a tendency to rise to power. You can see this in religious themed areas, but also in people like Stalin and Mao who were wonderful shining examples of Atheism.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Menelvir » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:18 am

You can only play the atheism/bad person card if it can be reasonably shown that the acts they did were a consequence of their atheism.

On the other hand, it could just as easily be the case that Stalin and Mao were in the 1% of atheists, in the same way that Jim Jones and Tomás de Torquemada are in the 1% of religious believers.

The more reasonable, easier argument would be to state that there are twisted, sadistic individuals and that they are so has little or nothing to do with their religious faith or lack thereof.
"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - The Dalai Lama
Menelvir
NT Disciple
NT Disciple

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:31 am

I'm just going go out on a limb here and say religion has caused far more pain and suffering, death, destruction, etc. to those of religion and non-religion than the flip of that (e.g. atheist war mongers, etc).

Over time religion will fade away, every trend shows this to be true.

I did catch an interesting bit on the FOH forums the other day, I'll try to find that pic and edit this post with it.

EDIT
I did NOT realize until I saw this that Christians were "on top" I actually have thought for years that Hindu or Islam was. Of course this came from the internet so I know it's true.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Tikker » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:48 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Ganzo » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am

Tikker wrote:
Lyion wrote: but this is a really bad analogy. Really, 99% of the people in the world, most of who are religious, leverage faith to make the world a better place.

you misunderstood

I'm not saying anything bad about religion in general, but pointing out the irony that religious wars between jews, christians and muslims are hilarious because they all believe in exactly the same deity.

it's not sun god vs water god

it's the same invisible man, they just disagree on the message

Refresh my memory on when Jews waged a war on Christians on Muslims because of their faith
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Lyion » Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:12 pm

That's the result of being human and actually is part of the reason for faith. It certainly isn't faith in other men.

or, as Gandalf, a character created from one of the most Catholic of people ever, J.R.R. Tolkien said:

Ganzo, I'd love to know why you think the Jews were expelled from so many countries. A lot of that was Antisemitism, but there has to be other reasons, too.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

Menelvir wrote:You can only play the atheism/bad person card if it can be reasonably shown that the acts they did were a consequence of their atheism.

On the other hand, it could just as easily be the case that Stalin and Mao were in the 1% of atheists, in the same way that Jim Jones and Tomás de Torquemada are in the 1% of religious believers.

The more reasonable, easier argument would be to state that there are twisted, sadistic individuals and that they are so has little or nothing to do with their religious faith or lack thereof.

this
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Previous

Return to Current Affairs