rolling jubilee

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: rolling jubilee

Postby Zanchief » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Lyion wrote:The problem is high school's current design is by and large not relevant. 12 years of primary school is too much in a piss poor one size fits all environment. It should stop at 9th or 10th grade and provide trade school training for those who do not wish to attend Academic College, and an associates degree for those who do. After ones associate degree, then the fees should fall on individuals, but this lowers the cost to two years from four and segregates schools in a proper manner so those focused on academics are together, and those focused on trade skills and finding pathways to a living wage immediately likewise are together.

I'm quoting you but a few people mentioned this same idea, so my response is for all of them.

This is a good idea in principal, but the problem is 11 year olds just aren't mature enough to make decisions that will impact the rest of their lives. Hell when I was 18 I wasn't. If you're asking them to decide at that age to choose which track they want to go on, they may make a decision with grave and long lasting consequences. I do think more emphasis should be put on trades, but I don't think this should force people to choose early on whether to choose between academia and trades with a complete neglect for the other.

On the subject of higher education. I agree completely with Clakar. I think it should be free, but this should in no way impact he difficulty of the work. People shouldn't feel entitled to that education unless they are capable of it. This removes the danger that secondary education becomes mandatory. I've never had much problem without any post secondary education. Most jobs I apply to always require either a post secondary education and/or essential work experience.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Tossica » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:29 pm

In 9th grade, I was 14. I already knew that school was not for me. Had I an out via some kind of trade school, I'd have taken it then. Instead, I wasted 2 more years until I was old enough to work full time and quit high school.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tikker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:27 am

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Reynaldo » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:19 pm

What makes me sad about jobs is that the highest paying ones (besides doctors etc..) are the ones where you're only skill is human manipulation (sales reps, bankers).

But I guess that's just as much of a "skill" as say someone like me has "skill" in computers/networking or someone with construction or teaching etc.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Previous

Return to Current Affairs