Obummercare

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Obummercare

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:34 pm

Since most of you don't even understand what obummercare REALLY does, I'll be more than happy to break it down for you: Fact: As of Jan. 1st 2014, all businesses with 50 or more employees, will have to participate in obummercare and buy the obummercare packages to offer their employees, REGARDLESS of if they already offer private sector health insurance like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser, Cigna, etc. or pay the penalty. That breaks down to a cost to the business of $1.79 per hour per employee. The impact: Massive layoffs, and shifting workers from full-time, to part-time status. Good job you obummer supporters. /clap
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Re: Obummercare

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Another awesome side-effect: businesses like applebees and tgif and walmart that fuck employees over and are only concerned with their profit margin are probably going to go out of business or severely scale back their operations and indirectly strengthen private businesses. Love it

Sorry, mindia, please continue with your regularly scheduled flood of misinformed, attention-seeking posts
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Drem wrote:Another awesome side-effect: businesses like applebees and tgif and walmart that fuck employees over and are only concerned with their profit margin are probably going to go out of business or severely scale back their operations and indirectly strengthen private businesses. Love it

Sorry, mindia, please continue with your regularly scheduled flood of misinformed, attention-seeking posts

Misinformed? On one hand, you're actually agreeing with me about the net impact of obummercare on business, ya dufus. So, tell me how Applebees, tgif, and walmart either closing down or shifting workers to part-time status (forced by the mighty hand of obummer) helps either the middle class or the economy?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:08 pm

Because those businesses are shit and people should spend their money locally, ya "dufus"

Not to mention your statement is incorrect in general as you obviously haven't read the PPACA bill at all
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:34 pm

It would seem that a big part of our healthcare problem is that its employer based costs a fortune and the employers dont want to pay it.

I wonder if any sane intelligent human beings can ever come up with an idea to get around that.

So what should we do to fix healthcare in america bro ?

WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Tossica » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 pm

Narrock wrote:Since most of you don't even understand what obummercare REALLY does, I'll be more than happy to break it down for you: Fact: As of Jan. 1st 2014, all businesses with 50 or more employees, will have to participate in obummercare and buy the obummercare packages to offer their employees, REGARDLESS of if they already offer private sector health insurance like Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Kaiser, Cigna, etc. or pay the penalty. That breaks down to a cost to the business of $1.79 per hour per employee. The impact: Massive layoffs, and shifting workers from full-time, to part-time status. Good job you obummer supporters. /clap

This is not true.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Im not taking one side or another -I REPEAT, no flames instended. I ask you a question - What will the differences be for my business in the next few years? I know I know, its time to research all this.

Have any of you ever been in charge of insuring your employees and seen the numbers? I dont think the average person really understands what it costs. Its near broken us doing it in the past.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Tossica » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:05 pm

Gaazy wrote:Im not taking one side or another -I REPEAT, no flames instended. I ask you a question - What will the differences be for my business in the next few years? I know I know, its time to research all this.

Have any of you ever been in charge of insuring your employees and seen the numbers? I dont think the average person really understands what it costs. Its near broken us doing it in the past.

That's part of what the policy intends to fix.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Tossica » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:06 pm

What Mindia posted is a crock of shit. He copied and pasted an opinion piece.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Reynaldo » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:27 pm

It is definitely interesting to see the different concerns from both sides.

As I'm not a business owner, my only concerns are:

1) I don't want my premium to go up with BC/BS (it went up $30 a month already from when i started my job in August to open enrollment this month) due to my company having to bring OBC on board as an option.

2) I don't want to pay more into my insurance than people on OBC (Obamacare), then not be able to get an appointment with my doctor when I need one for a month because OBC subscribers have jammed up the office.

Off topic, what I laugh about the most with our healthcare is COBRA.

If you lose your job or are in between jobs, how the hell are you supposed to afford COBRA at like $1000 a month? It's like the most sinister oxymoron ever.

I assume OBC is basically going to be the new COBRA, but be more affordable.

I admit though I haven't read anything about it other than headlines so I have no clue exactly what it does either.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Arlos » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:47 pm

How many employees does your business have, Gaazy? If it's below a certain threshold, you're exempt from a lot of the provisions of needing to carry coverage.

Honestly, though, this isn't going to be REALLY fixed until we have single-payer universal health care like the rest of the western world. That way businesses will no longer need to either carry coverage or pay for administering it. Also, people won't have to worry about paying COBRA between jobs (which no one can really do anyway), and we can keep costs down by getting people preventative care, instead of people with no insurance not taking care of problems until they end up in the emergency room.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby ClakarEQ » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:50 pm

That and hopefully when all the damn baby boomers die, our system will be overflowing with cash. Frankly a root of a lot of our problems are the boomers. From warming to fiscal disaster :(
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Zanchief » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:43 pm

Reynaldo wrote:2) I don't want to pay more into my insurance than people on OBC (Obamacare), then not be able to get an appointment with my doctor when I need one for a month because OBC subscribers have jammed up the office.

Well here's the thing about all those OBC subscribers jamming up the office, those are people that would otherwise be without care. Sometimes things in Ontario can be pretty bad, but I'm happy to wait in line of it means no one goes without care.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gaazy » Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:45 pm

Arlos wrote:How many employees does your business have, Gaazy? If it's below a certain threshold, you're exempt from a lot of the provisions of needing to carry coverage.

Honestly, though, this isn't going to be REALLY fixed until we have single-payer universal health care like the rest of the western world. That way businesses will no longer need to either carry coverage or pay for administering it. Also, people won't have to worry about paying COBRA between jobs (which no one can really do anyway), and we can keep costs down by getting people preventative care, instead of people with no insurance not taking care of problems until they end up in the emergency room.

-Arlos

We have 10. Used to be a bit bigger but not with recent cutbacks.

COBRA is expensive as a motherfucker too. Have helped a lot of guys we had to lay off with it and godamn its up there. Fucking unreal
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Arlos » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:55 pm

Gaazy wrote:We have 10. Used to be a bit bigger but not with recent cutbacks.

COBRA is expensive as a motherfucker too. Have helped a lot of guys we had to lay off with it and godamn its up there. Fucking unreal

OK, brief research into this has yielded some facts that apply to you:

1) Any business with less than 50 employees is completely exempt from the new mandate for employers to provide coverage. So, if you don't want to, or can't afford coverage, nothing in Obamacare is going to force you to spend 1 dime more than you do now.

2) If you have 25 employees or less, AND their average salary is $50k or less, your business can get tax breaks for 2 years to help you pay for health coverage for your employees. This, apparently, can result in a REDUCTION in your total costs, even if the cost per employee is higher, due to the money saved from the tax breaks.

3) The law doesn't come completely into effect until 2014. So you still have over a year to figure out exactly what you're going to do, and consult real expert professionals about it, before you have to truly worry about any of it.

So, I would suggest consulting with an actual expert on the subject, like a lawyer or maybe a HR-consulting firm, but you have time to get it figured out.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:02 pm

lol

obama is not what's killing the coal industry

natural gas is what's killing the coal industry
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:35 am

Drem wrote:Because those businesses are shit and people should spend their money locally, ya "dufus"

Not to mention your statement is incorrect in general as you obviously haven't read the PPACA bill at all

Holy shit. If stupid was painful you'd be taking advil nonstop. I can't take your ignorance and stupidity anymore. Please, just stfu. Any business closing or forced to downsize isn't good for anybody. Walnart, Applebees, Tgif, Papa John"s, etc. all employ thousands of people. And my statement about obummercare is 100% accurate, dufus.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Drem » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:39 am

Of course a redneck trucker would support a bunch of white trash businesses.

As far as the bill's concerned, you're just wrong. Period
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Narrock » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:15 am

Drem wrote:Of course a redneck trucker would support a bunch of white trash businesses.

As far as the bill's concerned, you're just wrong. Period

Just a redneck trucker eh? Who delivers food to your restaurant? Who delivers clothes to the stores you shop at? Who delivers the gas to gas stations where you fuel up your car? Just stupid redneck truckers? The people who work long hours to deliver products are just stupid rednecks? Listen moron, you don't many truckers if you think we're stupid rednecks. Why don't you pull your head out of your ass for once, and re-direct your insults to the lazy bastards who have the ability to work, but who would rather sit on their ass and collect unemployment and other government handouts? You're a worthless moron.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:30 pm

not all truckers are stupid rednecks

but you sure are

HTH
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Tossica » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Reynaldo

Your insurance premiums go up whenever the company feels like it. Mine have gone up every year for the last 20+ years. Part of this bill is supposed to prevent insurance companies from fucking you over.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Gaazy » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:16 pm

brinstar wrote:lol

obama is not what's killing the coal industry

natural gas is what's killing the coal industry

what? where did I talk shit about obama at? Hell, Romney probably id say would have done more dmg to it than Obama will.

But on that, theres numerous things going against coal right now. Mainly mountaintop removal, which needs done away with, and will be very shortly. Although, I regret, the damage has already been done.

My side of the industry is underground bubba, not strips

And yes, gas is whats hurting it a lot, but thats not the heart of the matter.

and yeah arlos, i will be bringing in professional help soon to advise on what to do. If what you say is true, it may not be too bad. I dont keep up with the whole politics stuff too much, so I dunno a whole lot about it. I knew it doesnt take effect for a while, so I havent looked into it yet
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby brinstar » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:43 pm

not directed at you per se

but plenty of coal guys are in the news saying obama is killing coal and it's ridiculous
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gaazy » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:13 am

Yeah a lot of mindiaism people spouted about it. Obama sure isnt going out of his way to help it, but its not like romney would have either. That guy was against it in Mass hardcore. Its just an industry that doesnt have much of a future anymore /shrug
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Next

Return to Current Affairs