Obama's Israel trip

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Obama's Israel trip

Postby Arlos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:54 pm

Anyone else follow this? Did you read or hear the speech he gave to the university students in Jerusalem? (Transcript is at: http://www.haaretz.com/news/obama-visit ... d-1.511078 if you haven't)

He got standing ovations, not only for reaffirming that Israel isn't going anywhere, but when he called for ending settlements and how Palestinians deserved a state of their own.

Then, as a final centerpiece of the trip, he gets Netanyahu to call the Prime Minister of Turkey, and issue a formal apology for that commando raid on the Gaza flotilla, which is going to re-normalization of a formerly close relationship that has been in the shitter for 3 years? That was completely out of left field, but amazing news.

Honestly, I don't really see how this trip could have gone better. Awesome piece of news to hear about amidst our regularly scheduled ration of doom & gloom...

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Obama's Israel trip

Postby Spazz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:10 am

Ive been hearing talk of peace in the middle east my entire life. Every new president speaks on it. I like how he had to suck the jews off for 4/5 of the speech before bringing up Palestine too. Ill believe it when I see it until then its all just politics as usual and talking points.

Its easy to give a good speech Ive heard barry talk before but I dont see us taking any action against Israel and as long as we allow them to do as they please there will never be peace. You cant condemn one countries bad behavior while condoning the others and expect a peaceful resolution.

It frustrates me that I think the rest of the world has the power to force the issue but still does nothing. I think some joint military action to carve out the 2 states and enforce it is really the only way to make it happen and that opens up a whole new set of problems. Be interesting to see them unite as a people to hate the fuck out of us though dont you think.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Re: Obama's Israel trip

Postby Zanchief » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:09 am

Spazz wrote:It frustrates me that I think the rest of the world has the power to force the issue but still does nothing.

I don't think this is true. You can't force people to change, and you can't force people to like each other. They need to work out their shit between each other. Meddling will only make things worse.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Return to Current Affairs