The N Word

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

The N Word

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:01 pm

I'm spawning this mainly from the Paula Dean blow out and how rediculous it is (don't care if you like her or not but to be cruzified for using the "N" word is BS, ESPECIALLY from 30 years ago from a white gal in the GA).

We all can hide behind our internet persona's and all of that and post the word in jokes or whatever, but what I don't get is why it's such a big fucking deal anymore? So call me a blind white guy or whatever but it's a fucking word that is used every day. Our society is inondated with it, in songs, in text, in the press, in the paper.

Why are black folks permited to use the word in every way possible but for whites we can not.

Why is it when a black calls a white a honky or a cracker that exact same fall-out doesn't take take place.

I've got the same "issue" when (and yeah I know this sounds racist) several black folks come together, void of white folks, the language spoken, I don't know that I'd call it the same language that is spoken when one white person becomes involved in the discussion.

IMO if we all agree that an even playing field is the objective, black folks do a terrible diservice and only cause massive hyipocracy problems by not forcing compliance amongst their own.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Re: The N Word

Postby leah » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:15 pm

i think the issue is the generations of hate and mistreatment associated with the word. "honky" and "cracker" are not equal because our race has never been enslaved by another race who referred to us in those terms while treating us like dogs (or probably worse than dogs) because of the amount of skin pigmentation. you just can't make the argument that that's the same thing. and i think black people use it because it's about making themselves ok with that history. but white folk are still the race who started all the trouble in the first place, so there's still an association there between our forbears and the injustices of slavery. just my two cents.

to be honest, i feel like its level of acceptability really depends on the context. like in the sense of "what's up, my niggaz" or whatever, that seems about 1000x less offensive than "that nigger took my job." you know?
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:42 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:I've got the same "issue" when (and yeah I know this sounds racist) several black folks come together, void of white folks, the language spoken, I don't know that I'd call it the same language that is spoken when one white person becomes involved in the discussion.

IMO if we all agree that an even playing field is the objective, black folks do a terrible diservice and only cause massive hyipocracy problems by not forcing compliance amongst their own.

Here's a question: Why do you have an issue? Do you feel the same way when a bunch of Irishmen get together and do the same thing? What about Italians? Forcing compliance among their own? Seriously? Why don't you just go ahead and write Al Sharpton a letter telling him to "force compliance" at the next black folk meeting. In case he doesn't get how it's done, send him excerpts of the white folks meeting you attended which forced compliance on you which resulted on how intelligent and respectful you are now.

You know what I have a problem with? People who can't mind their business and "take issue" with things they don't understand and decide instead of choosing to learn or mind their own business they label it and bitch about it to other people thus spreading their bullshit. Then they make idiotic suggestions and talk about "forcing compliance" like all black people are linked by some hive mind super computer.

You don't sound racist dude. You are racist.

leah wrote:to be honest, i feel like its level of acceptability really depends on the context. like in the sense of "what's up, my niggaz" or whatever, that seems about 1000x less offensive than "that nigger took my job." you know?

And yes I totally agree with this and I feel it's one thing people forget quite often. Context and the meaning behind the words themselves are much more important than the words themselves but if you only focus on the words on the surface then you're an idiot.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:53 pm

Leah hits the nail right on the head. It's not acceptable mainly due to the oppression in the past. Same reason why it's really looked on in a bad light to slander the Jewish community. Whites haven't earned the "right" to be offended yet. I mean if someone called me a cracker in public my first reaction would probably be to start laughing. It just doesn't carry the same sting.

As far as Paula Dean goes, I agree it's an overreaction. I mean who in their life has NOT said "nigger" at least once, either repeating a joke or singing a rap song or whatever. Hardly paints one as a racist.
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:44 pm

Why are black folks permited to use the word in every way possible but for whites we can not.

Come on man this is upper middle class bullshit. Poor people including latinos and whites say it to one another all day and no one gets upset. Its all in how you use it. Also as I am sure it has been covered there is a world of difference between the term niggaz and the term niggers.

Next thing Claker if its no big deal to say than why do you say the N WORD instead of nigger when that is what you mean ?

Why is it when a black calls a white a honky or a cracker that exact same fall-out doesn't take take place.

Go ahead tell me a time thats happened to you.

to be honest, i feel like its level of acceptability really depends on the context. like in the sense of "what's up, my niggaz" or whatever, that seems about 1000x less offensive than "that nigger took my job." you know?

Leah gets it.

This Paula deen shit is retarded but you know in your heart that the way she uses "the N word" and the way I do are apples an oranges. It means dudes to mean what do you think it means to her ?

We live in a society tht loves to be offended and loves to sue over the offenses. If your a public figure than its prolly a good idea to keep a lid on some of your less popular opinions unless your prepared to take the heat.

Last thing I wanna say on that is that I would be more shocked if a 66 year old cushy white bitch from georgia wasnt a racist.

Claker if you dont think race in america is still a huge issue I think you should look into the reaction of obamas election , the way the Trevon martin ( sp) case has been handled or some of the tales about the nypd over the last few decades.

Its really not about the word but the intent behind it claker I would think youd get that. I wonder why I can say ngga to black dudes without getting beat up but you cant ?
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Reynaldo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:50 pm

Spazz = Image
Reynaldo
NT Veteran
NT Veteran

Postby Tuggan » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:54 pm

it's a big deal sayin nigger cause the white media makes it a big deal.

i'm more embarrassed for these 40+ year old white assholes on the news acting ashamed and claiming to never have used "that word". gimme a break.
Tuggan
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm

Nah Im not eminem I dont dress G and im not a big fan of his music at all. I just try to call it like I see it and I hate that even now in a modern world there is racism all around. I like to hope we will get over it some day but a lot of the time im not so sure.

Also if your going to compare me to a rapper at least get it right and compare me to the one I quote and channel the most often
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:24 pm

I think race is HUGE issue, yes, that is my point, jay wants to run in fear from it, I want to force the situation and call it out.

Personally I think not talking about it, running from it, treating it like it's a special word is exactly what causes the issue to continue.

You're a funny guy though Jay, you ole zipperhead /giggidy

EDIT
You don't fix shit through avoidance, fear, paranoia, etc. I used to think time would help fix this, I don’t think that is the case because as time goes on, the press makes it a bigger deal every time something like this happens. Al Sharpton wants that word taken off the english language as do many other folks across the spectrum. That again won't fix a thing. Talk about it, get it out in the open, neuter the word so the meaning it used to carry no longer exists.

Also Jay, you can't possibly be serious in saying I'm a racist. You wouldn't even know what race I was and still wouldn't had I not shared it with you.

Please quote some post of mine that just "bleeds" racisim.
Last edited by ClakarEQ on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:28 pm

Ok what do you want to say about it claker? Do you want me to explain to you why black people get pissed off about it ? Do you need a history lesson or a lesson onthe war on drugs/prison industry/court system/police practices ?
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I know why Spazz, I'm not an idiot. I post to get a reaction and spark discussion.

I agree with Tuggan in the scope that the media is what carries the hate forward that won't let it heal. Did you see that interview with Matt Lauer, what a fucking asshole.

I also agree with Leah and to a point with Jay but I don't fear it like he seems to.

I sorta feel like the word is so common place today, that in a lot of ways it's already neuterd.

If a white guy says to a black guy "Hey n- , come over here" vs "Hey n- what's going on tonight" are they equally offensive?
- This would I assume piss of the black guy
- Would the black guy be pissed off if they were good friends?

If a black guys says the same thing, are they equally offensive?

What I struggle with, is if the word and what's behind it is supposed to be the bad thing, how can black folks justify it's use at all? Particularly when it is used offensivly, not amongst a gaggle of good friends.

EDIT
I gotta head out though, I'll try to check this later / tomorrow
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:56 pm

Black folks justify the use of it becuase they "took it back' and made it a word of endearment. In recent years its also been shared by them with other poor people living in the ghettos across our lovely country. If you talk bout your niggaz people arent going to freak out.

Listen and try to understand

Good use
I been chillin wit my nigga craig all day smokin blunts watchin jerry springer

Bad use

Why do these niggers keep moving into this neighborhood

Good use Yo i wit my nigga Chris right now ima call you back

Bad use

Lets have niggers be the servents at your plantation wedding wont that be darling

Are you gettin it ?
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:10 pm

I had it all along. You all know my MO, cut me some slack.

Is it really the words, or the color of the person speaking it?

Again, If a black guys uses it in a hurtful derogatory way, to another black guy, is it "equally" (and I get it can't be 100% equal) as bad?

If the answer to that is no, then it is not the word but the race, and that then means to me, it’s not an issue anyone can fix other than the race that finds it most offensive. Yet this is also the same race that uses it most frequent.

If I walk up to a group of white only friends and say, whats up my niggaz while in ear shot of a black person, would they be offended (I would expect they should be). In that persons eyes (read Jay) does that then coin me as a racist?

Am I just not making ANY sense on this?
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:55 pm

Running in fear? From what? I've dealt with racism the moment I entered grade school. I speak proper english and think for myself, so Asians called me whitewashed. To everyone else I was a chinaman, chink, whatever. Even if I wanted to run I couldn't. I just had to deal with it and it's made me who I am. Now I have 2 interracial kids who will hopefully not deal with that sort of thing as much if the racism issue has gotten better. If they do have to face it, I'll teach them what I learned and we'll fight that mentality.

black folks do a terrible diservice and only cause massive hyipocracy problems by not forcing compliance amongst their own.

This is why I don't need to know what race you are to call you a racist.

Also sidenote: It's funny that Rey is using the Eminem image to make fun of Spazz when Eminem NEVER says nigga or nigger in any song.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:23 pm

i don't use it because why? unless i was making a direct quote, nothing i've ever said required it
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:29 pm

Yes a black guy can use it in a bad way.

" and you think your bigger but to me you aint nothin but a bitch ass nigger that aint worth there food stamps"

That would be offensive if a black guy said it too infact thats E to dre from way back.

if you say whats up to yo niggaz no one is going to get mad at you. Unless your really white bread and it sounds awkward coming out of your mouth

I use niggaz on a rego basis cuz for a long ass time it was very common speech where i lived.

If you really want to say niggaz all the time move to the hood. No one will care how much you say it long as your ghetto too.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:41 pm

LOL Spazz, I hear you. I'm probably in that "too white" category LOL.

Jay, you're as much of a racist as I am. I don't fear the discussion or opportunity to be open about it to gain better understanding or perspective. BTW, that quote of mine you snagged, you know where I got that? Jesse Jackson, I couldn't find the exact one but this is close and actually was the same topic from the article I recall reading: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hermene-h ... 19988.html

What spawned the whole thing was Paula Dean and Matt Lauer. Then on Bill Mahr he had on a black professor, mexican fox news reporter, and some white dude. The white guy said NOTHING during this discussion, the black professor was like "No she's got to go, fire fire fire her", Mahr says (akin to my point) "Oh but it's ok for rappers, gangsta's, etc" Prof says "don't get me started" and mahr had to cut him off, I was actually really curious on what he was about to say (it sounded like he was about to throw EVERYONE that uses it under the bus, blacks, whites, ANYONE). The mexican chic kept chiming in like yeah, she's got to go fire fire fire.

Mahr didn't "get it" either, and sort of said, BS, it's just a word get over it OR that everyone should stop using it.

It got me thinking so I figured, why not post :)
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Spazz » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Its really not the word its whats behind it and how its used. They arent even the same word. Rappers say it is a bullshit cop out. They say nigga and niggas not nigger followed by some racist shit.
Why Immortal technique?
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Dog the Bounty hunter was back in tv in 3 months and she makes the network far more money than he does. I'm sure she'll be back when people forget.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:30 pm

Choosing not to sensationalize urban speech doesn't make me a racist buddy. Sorry but you'll have to dig deeper. As long as you are dumb enough to group people together and say "Black people should x" as if they dont act individually you're a racist and you don't need to project that on me.

Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:39 pm

Jay, when did I say black people should ? ? ?
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby brinstar » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:40 pm

ClakarEQ wrote:black folks do a terrible diservice and only cause massive hyipocracy problems by not forcing compliance amongst their own.

uh there
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby ClakarEQ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Because I already knew it was only fully acceptable when black folks use it and wanted to understand if it is offensive how can it’s use be justified at all.

EDIT
Said something I didn't mean :p
ClakarEQ
NT Traveller
NT Traveller

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:46 am

It's a term of endearment in certain circles. You just have to accept that. The word "punk" was pretty negative, too, before the late '70s when it became a genre of music and a term of endearment amongst specific people

This shit happens. Deal w/ it
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:53 am

And sorry, but Jay isn't racist for calling you out. I saw this post last night and was so amazed/bewildered at your sentiment that i thought this was a joke. I didn't think anyone would respond. I'm white, but god damn, you are like fresh powder on the mountain. You're so white you're RGB 255. You're so white that the kid from Powder calls you for pro tips. You so white you must be usin flour for a bronzer. You're so white you thought the Coen brothers were brothers. You so white you think gene hackman in mississippi burning is a good representation of the civil rights movement
Last edited by Drem on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Next

Return to Current Affairs