new trial for M. Alexander (FL, 20 yrs for warning shot)

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

new trial for M. Alexander (FL, 20 yrs for warning shot)

Postby brinstar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:22 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/26/justice/f ... index.html

An appellate court on Thursday ordered a new trial for a Florida woman who was sentenced to 20 years in prison for firing a gun to scare off her allegedly abusive husband, ruling that a jury was improperly instructed on self-defense.

Marissa Alexander's case will be retried because the jury was wrongly told that -- for her to claim self-defense -- she needed to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her husband was about to seriously harm her, the appellate court said.

Rather, the appellate court pointed out, the prosecution had the burden to prove that Alexander herself was guilty of aggravated assault.

"Because the jury instructions on self-defense were fundamental error, we reverse" the conviction, a three-judge appellate panel said.

A jury convicted Alexander, 31, of aggravated assault in March after just 12 minutes of deliberation.

(see link for more)

great news
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: new trial for M. Alexander (FL, 20 yrs for warning shot)

Postby Tikker » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Harrison » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:28 pm

Even pro-2nd amendment people are wrongfully posting this without reading into why the psycho bitch should be imprisoned. It's sad.

It's also pretty lulzy to see it posted by anti-2nd amendment people equally as much as it is sad.
How do you like this spoiler, motherfucker? -Lyion
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:57 pm

so many things make you sad, just stop reading and lie down and starve

why are you against this lady getting another trial?
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:47 pm

Because she's a danger to herself, kids, family, and others.

She displayed that when she shot at her husband after having left the "imminent danger" (hint: there was none, because you can't walk away from "imminent danger") The very definition of imminent danger goes against "I can walk away, retrieve my weapon from my car, and then reenter the situation."

Also, a "warning shot" indoors is incredibly dangerous to the public, her children in the home, etc. It's reckless and stupid. She deserves the sentencing and everyone in her life is safer for it. She's demonstrated herself to be a violent woman on more than one occasion already. She shot a "warning shot" at the man's head. It wasn't in the air, or more importantly at the ground where it would have been more plausible and a fuck of a lot safer.

While she was out on bail, awaiting trial on her aggravated assault charges, Alexander was arrested for domestic battery against Gray.

Yeah, she's a saint and a great mother. Can't wait to get her out of jail...

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07/19 ... -life-laws
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Gaazy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:51 pm

Hate to agree with Harrison, if I'm reading the infoz correct...she shouldn't have reentered the situation
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Jay » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:37 am

Harrison wrote:Because she's a danger to herself, kids, family, and others.

She displayed that when she shot at her husband after having left the "imminent danger" (hint: there was none, because you can't walk away from "imminent danger") The very definition of imminent danger goes against "I can walk away, retrieve my weapon from my car, and then reenter the situation."

Also, a "warning shot" indoors is incredibly dangerous to the public, her children in the home, etc. It's reckless and stupid. She deserves the sentencing and everyone in her life is safer for it. She's demonstrated herself to be a violent woman on more than one occasion already. She shot a "warning shot" at the man's head. It wasn't in the air, or more importantly at the ground where it would have been more plausible and a fuck of a lot safer.

While she was out on bail, awaiting trial on her aggravated assault charges, Alexander was arrested for domestic battery against Gray.

Yeah, she's a saint and a great mother. Can't wait to get her out of jail...

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2013/07/19 ... -life-laws

I actually agree with this...
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:38 pm

we've been over this

both her and the "victim" testified that she couldn't have left via the garage, and both her and the "victim" testified that she never aimed the gun at him

am i saying she is a saint? fuck no. am i even saying she should've got off scot-free? hell no, toss her in the clink for a year or even two, but gatdang 20 years is a gross injustice
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:11 am

You of all people, being militantly against second amendment rights, should want this crazy bitch in jail and never allowed near a weapon of any sort much less a firearm.

It's mind boggling how you think someone who has demonstrated on more than one occasion their propensity for violence and disregard for the safety of others shouldn't be in jail for as long as possible.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:06 am

Harrison wrote:It's mind boggling how you think someone who has demonstrated on more than one occasion their propensity for violence and disregard for the safety of others shouldn't be in jail for as long as possible.

Reread this and think of how you feel about Zimmerman. You won't, because you are completely unable to perform even the most rudementary amount of self examination, but I like to try once a month to get through to you.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby leah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Zanchief wrote:
Harrison wrote:It's mind boggling how you think someone who has demonstrated on more than one occasion their propensity for violence and disregard for the safety of others shouldn't be in jail for as long as possible.

Reread this and think of how you feel about Zimmerman. You won't, because you are completely unable to perform even the most rudementary amount of self examination, but I like to try once a month to get through to you.

/golfclap
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:56 am

Even you people said this couldn't be compared to Zimmerman. You're going to try to do so now? :dunno:

You really can't handle being wrong, can you?

She didn't shoot at anyone while being brutally mauled. Zero comparison. She left the situation, returned with a firearm, and shot at someone. 100% deserved sentencing.

If she had "fired a warning shot" while being pummeled you would have been able to limpwrist it in like that. But, sorry...you failed.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 am

YAY you're the same.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby 10sun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:51 am

Harrison wrote:Even you people said this couldn't be compared to Zimmerman. You're going to try to do so now? :dunno:

You really can't handle being wrong, can you?

She didn't shoot at anyone while being brutally mauled. Zero comparison. She left the situation, returned with a firearm, and shot at someone. 100% deserved sentencing.

If she had "fired a warning shot" while being pummeled you would have been able to limpwrist it in like that. But, sorry...you failed.

With all of that being said, did she kill someone?
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:13 am

Relevance?

She shot at him, with the kid right next to him. Her being a bad shot isn't relevant.

(a shot at head level isn't a warning shot)
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:29 am

Yea man, she must not have been following police procedure on the proper conduct of a warning shot. Its like maybe she had no training and was just afraid for her life.

I guess because she entered a dangerous situation of her own accord she can't claim self defense (I'm leading you here cool guy, get those two neurons to connect the dots).
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Harrison » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:41 am

hurrdurr wrote:Yea man, she must not have been following police procedure on the proper conduct of a warning shot. Its like maybe she had no training and was just afraid for her life.

She had a permit for the gun.

http://www.usacarry.com/florida_conceal ... ation.html

Requirements:
All paperwork for your permit may be requested via mail for free:

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/FORMS/ ... st790.html

1. You must be 21 to get a conceled carry permit.
2. Have a passport-style, color photograph made.
3. Get verification of training that satisfies the training requirement. NRA, DD-14, state training course, etc. . Persons serving in the United States Armed Forces may submit a copy of their Military ID Card to satisfy the training requirement.
4. Get certified copies of court documents relating to any criminal charges against you.
5. Take the fingerprint card to a local law enforcement agency and ask to be fingerprinted. In addition to providing fingerprinting services for the traditional “hard-card” format, electronic fingerprint devices are available at almost all 67 county sheriff’s offices in the state. Visit the Electronic Fingerprints Information page to learn how Live Scan fingerprinting saves processing time.* http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/CWCS/e ... tinfo.html
6. Complete the application. Either print clearly with ink or type the information.
7. In the presence of a notary, sign application.**
8. Submit a check or money order for the license fee of $117

She is only saying it's a warning shot to get around the fact she shot at a man, missed, and now doesn't want to be painted the violent psychopath that she is. What she didn't realize is that a "warning shot" even if that's what she did, and it wasn't, is illegal in Florida and the classes and training she took to obtain her license to carry would have covered that in great detail.

Next stupid response?
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby Zanchief » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 am

I'm pretty sure shooting someone and killing them is also illegal. Circumstances mitigate the legality of those actions in some cases, don't they?

Also, your assumption that she is making this story up without a shred of evidence doesn't lend much credibility to your objectivity. Why do you think she simply missed him? Why would someone fire a single shot with the intent to kill them and not follow up with, say, a second shot? Oh believe what you want. Don't let logic stop that astute reasoning of yours.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:56 pm

Harrison wrote:She shot at him

false

Harrison wrote:brutally mauled

also false

Harrison wrote:a "warning shot" is illegal in Florida and the classes and training she took to obtain her license to carry would have covered that in great detail.

licensing classes are not accomplishing their purpose in florida? SHOCKER

the one time there's a valid argument to be made where a responsible licensed gun owner used a firearm for non-lethal self-defense and you take the stupid way out? guess i'd be lying if i acted surprised, plenty of precedent
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:05 am

So when you fire a warning shot at someone you fire it at face level in the direction of the person? Lawl.

Oh, he came in and destroyed my thread, time to rage out and ignore the facts.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:39 am

keep singing and dancing, clown

that's what we keep you around for
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Harrison » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:26 pm

Please continue to post more threads about a subject you know absolutely nothing about. It's worth the time to destroy it piece by piece and watch you rage.
Harrison
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby brinstar » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:15 pm

god you're boring

go ahead and think whatever you want i don't care
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:49 pm

bump, appellate court threw out the sentence today
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Gypsiyee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:54 am

on the same day Michael Dunn gets his well-deserved sentence handed to him

I don't think I've ever uttered these words and I'm not sure I ever will again, but I'm actually quite proud to call myself a Duval County resident today. Our justice system actually got it right.. twice.. in one day.. in one city.. in Florida.. a place that hasn't gotten a single damn thing right in years. I'm amazed.
"I think you may be confusing government running amok with government doing stuff you don't like. See, you're in the minority now. It's supposed to taste like a shit taco." - Jon Stewart
Gypsiyee
NT Deity
NT Deity

Next

Return to Current Affairs