Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Good New Rule from Bill Maher

Postby Arlos » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:11 am

Video here:

Text here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bill-mahe ... 99675.html

An excerpt from the beginning:
New Rule: Conservatives who love to brag about American exceptionalism must come here to California, and see it in person. And then they should be afraid -- very afraid. Because while the rest of the country is beset by stories of right-wing takeovers in places like North Carolina, Texas and Wisconsin, California is going in the opposite direction and creating the kind of modern, liberal nation the country as a whole can only dream about. And not only can't the rest of the country stop us -- we're going to drag you along with us.

It wasn't that long ago that pundits were calling California a failed state and saying it was ungovernable. But in 2010, when other states were busy electing whatever Tea Partier claimed to hate government the most, we elected a guy who actually liked it, Jerry Brown.

Since then, everything Republicans say can't or won't work -- gun control, immigration reform, high-speed rail -- California is making work. And everything conservatives claim will unravel the fabric of our society -- universal healthcare, higher taxes on the rich, gay marriage, medical marijuana -- has only made California stronger. And all we had to do to accomplish that was vote out every single Republican. Without a Republican governor and without a legislature being cock-blocked by Republicans, a $27 billion deficit was turned into a surplus, continuing the proud American tradition of Republicans blowing a huge hole in the budget and then Democrats coming in and cleaning it up.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Re: Good New Rule from Bill Maher

Postby Zanchief » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:10 am

I watched this a few nights ago and I laughed I cried and I nodded in agreement. Bill can be a moron sometimes, but often, like in this video, he can be very smart.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby brinstar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:34 pm

maher is a weird contradiction for me

i think he's right close to 90% of the time, but he's also a heinous prick that i can't stand listening to
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Jay » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:35 am

brinstar wrote:maher is a weird contradiction for me

i think he's right close to 90% of the time, but he's also a heinous prick that i can't stand listening to

A lot of people say that about Jon Stewart too. I think it's a sorta intelligent liberal archetype.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Spazz » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am

Livin in the suburbs and my other hobby canceling out my second amendment rights recently california sounds a lot less horrifying. I been in a real funk since my trip to topgun went rather badly about a week ago.

Fuckin odd to me that you can be on some serious drugs( like the kind that make you kill yourself and other people) and still purchase fire arms but a mml and your out of business.
WHITE TRASH METAL SLUMMER
Why Immortal technique?
Perhaps its because I am afraid and he gives me courage.
Spazz
Osama bin Spazz
Osama bin Spazz

Postby Gaazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:03 am

dewd, dont you know, Its theliberals fault the government is in a shutdown and is all fucked up.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Gaazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:33 am

let me tell you exactly how much of a vindictive ASSHOLE I personally am. I am so happy the government is in a shut down and all those government workers are out of work that im jumpin in circles. Now the fucking pricks know how Im feeling when they send the EPA in here to shut down my friends and families jobs. Ya know what? Fuck em. Fuck em all.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Ganzo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am

Gaazy wrote:let me tell you exactly how much of a vindictive ASSHOLE I personally am. I am so happy the government is in a shut down and all those government workers are out of work that im jumpin in circles. Now the fucking pricks know how Im feeling when they send the EPA in here to shut down my friends and families jobs. Ya know what? Fuck em. Fuck em all.

Unfortunately in the big picture it affects a lot of other people. For example can't get mortgage processed right now because underwriters cannot verify last two years of income tax with government shut down. Think of how many home sales are in the freeze right now because of it and that is just one example.

Our economy was in the shitter as it was, now we are losing estimated 1.5 billion per day. Wanna go back into 2008 economy? How about stock market prices, you like those? Imagine people who are cashing out their 401K today. How about all of the war vets who can't get their checks because Dep of Veteran Affairs is shut down?

My Good New Rule is if assholes in Congress and Senate allow government shutdown, they forfeit their right to reelection. :9mm:
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:10 am

Gaazy wrote:let me tell you exactly how much of a vindictive ASSHOLE I personally am. I am so happy the government is in a shut down and all those government workers are out of work that im jumpin in circles. Now the fucking pricks know how Im feeling when they send the EPA in here to shut down my friends and families jobs. Ya know what? Fuck em. Fuck em all.

You know the government consists of many different people who all work at services which, in almost all cases, are very important. Just because you have an axe to grind with one facet of one department doesn't mean the "feds" are all to blame. It's like saying your pissed at Walmart so to hell coal miners.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 am

This is basically how I see this argument.

Obama: Let's help some people out.

Rich Evil Republicans: No

Obama: Well we're doing it becasue I think it will help people.

RER: We're shutting down the country, willing to do permanent damage, and ruin things for everyone just so we don't have to help anyone.

People on the internet: Everyone's to blame.

Me: Rich Evil Republicans are to blame.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gaazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:25 pm

/shrug its all the same to me Zan. Now they can be out of the job, and so can we. Maybe it will give them a little insight to what we deal with.
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:46 pm

You know "them" is like 10s of thousands of people who do vastly different jobs, the vast majority of which has nothing to do with you or your friends Jobs.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Gaazy » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Here let me rephrase. The rest of the country feels as you do, duck the coal miners. So why in the FUCK should I care about everyone else's bullshit?
Gaazy
NT Deity
NT Deity

Postby leah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Zanchief wrote:This is basically how I see this argument.

Obama: Let's help some people out.

Rich Evil Republicans: No

Obama: Well we're doing it becasue I think it will help people.

RER: We're shutting down the country, willing to do permanent damage, and ruin things for everyone just so we don't have to help anyone.

People on the internet: Everyone's to blame.

Me: Rich Evil Republicans are to blame.

plus there's the semi-sane republicans who were like "ya, we lost, whatever; let's not ruin the country because of it" but then that sect of bozos who are like NO NO NO, DEATH TO OBAMACARE! it's so fucking stupid.

what will always, always make me most mad about republicans is how they claim to be doing god's work or whatever but then blatantly ignore all of jesus' teachings about helping the poor and "whatever you do to the least of these, you do to me" and yada yada. i guess i missed the fine print in the bible where it says "...unless your neighbor is poor or doesn't have a job or can't get healthcare—then they can just go fuck themselves."

i realize that it sucks when our premiums go up. but i also value my fellow man enough to suck it up and pay it because i'm lucky enough to be able to afford to help out.

also fuck you guys if you think my dad doesn't deserve to have access to healthcare just because his small-town-newspaper employer can't afford to provide it.
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby Ganzo » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 pm

leah wrote: i guess i missed the fine print in the bible where it says "...unless your neighbor is poor or doesn't have a job or can't get healthcare—then they can just go fuck themselves."

Isn't that the whole premises behind Calvinism?
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby leah » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:29 pm

/shrug i do not know much about calvinism, ganzo :S

zan: here's someone who agrees with you: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ican-party
lolz
leah
Preggers!
Preggers!

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:29 pm

1. at least there are no new gun permits being issued ;)

2. all of what leah said. you cannot do this and maintain that you are a follower of christ. it's simply not possible; these actions are incongruous with the words he is said to have spoken. also, i want every single hater to make a list of all their friends and family members who don't have access to health care for whatever reason (it's probably longer than you think) and go to their house, knock on their door, and look them full in the face and say "you do not deserve healthcare because _______". i fucking dare you.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:30 pm

PS enough house republicans now say they would vote for a clean CR that it would pass, but boehner still refuses to allow a vote
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:47 pm

Government shut downs aren't new or rare.
Last one was in the mid 90s, but iirc, they happened all the time in the 70s.

This too will pass.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Gaazy is the perfect representation of the middle states of America.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:39 pm

brinstar wrote:2. all of what leah said. you cannot do this and maintain that you are a follower of christ. it's simply not possible; these actions are incongruous with the words he is said to have spoken. also, i want every single hater to make a list of all their friends and family members who don't have access to health care for whatever reason (it's probably longer than you think) and go to their house, knock on their door, and look them full in the face and say "you do not deserve healthcare because _______". i fucking dare you.

Those people who don't have access to healthcare aren't looking or aren't paying.
I have a few friends who have access to healthcare by waiting for it from free local government clinics in addition to the charitable hospitals.
Personally, I pay $200 a month for my health insurance to cover myself and my girlfriend through a temp agency (lost my job at the beginning of the year and I did not have a lapse in coverage, I paid for COBRA with my unemployment).

If they are working, they can afford that or they mismanage their priorities.
If they aren't working, there is plenty of charitable ways to obtain health coverage.

I should not have to pay for someone who has not taken care of themselves.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby brinstar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:43 pm

If they are working, they can afford that or they mismanage their priorities.
If they aren't working, there is plenty of charitable ways to obtain health coverage.

yeah not everyone fits into these two neat little groups

I should not have to pay for someone who has not taken care of themselves.

but you already do, in the form of higher insurance premiums
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Tikker » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:05 pm

Last edited by Tikker on Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikker
NT Legend
NT Legend

Postby 10sun » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Tikker wrote:
10sun wrote:I should not have to pay for someone who has not taken care of themselves.

I shouldn't have to pay for roads that i'll never drive on

same argument, right?

Not at all.
My best shot at an analogous statement using the road metaphor.

Right now, I pay for roads that everybody can drive on.
Some people choose not to use these roads.

Now I am being asked to pay for a new road & the potential repairs to the cars of people not using the original road because people were not using the original road but are now being forced to use the new road.

Brinstar,

Yes, it can be distilled to those two categories.
Either you choose to take care of yourself or you don't.
Shit happens and priorities get mismanaged, PPACA will change that, but at the expense of those who have been eating the shit sandwich for a longer period of time.

It removes pre-existing conditions as a method of controlling premiums.

PPACA is a shit sandwich and we all know it.
It removes the freedom of choice in insurance.
I can't choose to just carry a catastrophic health care policy.
I can't choose to dangle my balls in the wind.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Zanchief » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 pm

You talk about shit sandwiches a lot.

The Randians have gotten into your brain, Ten. You used to me a smart dude.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Next

Return to Current Affairs