"affluenza" -rich white kid kills four while DWI, gets proba

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

"affluenza" -rich white kid kills four while DWI, gets proba

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:28 pm

http://gawker.com/teen-who-killed-four- ... 1480835092

A 16-year-old boy who drunkenly killed four people got probation this week because the judge — with no apparent irony — agreed with the boy's defense that he was a victim of "affluenza," whose parents taught him wealth and privilege shield consequences. The teen had faced up to twenty years in prison.

Sixteen-year-old Ethan Couch admitted to four counts of manslaughter after he and seven other boys stole alcohol from Walmart, piled into his car and struck and killed four pedestrians while going 70 miles per hour in a 40 zone. One of his passengers remains in the hospital with severe brain damage, and nine other bystanders were also injured.

Couch's BAC was a .24 and he also had Valium in his system. According to reports, he was belligerent at the scene, at one point saying, "I'm outta here." Prosecutors were hoping to get up to 20 years.

Couch's defense was that he was a victim of his parents' wealth and privilege; in that he never had to face consequences, which an expert summarized prior to sentencing.

He said Couch got whatever he wanted. As an example, Miller said Couch's parents gave no punishment after police ticketed the then-15-year-old when he was found in a parked pickup with a passed out, undressed 14-year-old girl.

Miller also pointed out that Couch was allowed to drive at 13. He said the teen was emotionally flat and needed years of therapy. At the time of the fatal wreck, Couch had a blood alcohol content of .24, said Tarrant County Sheriff Dee Anderson. It is illegal for a minor to drive with any amount of alcohol in his or her system.

The victims' families sort of agree with the reasoning, in that they too feel that Couch's privilege helped him avoid consequences.

Couch is now being sent to a $500,000-a-year counseling center. There are apparently five civil wrongful death suits pending against him totaling tens of millions of dollars.

stop the earth, i want off
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Re: "affluenza" -rich white kid kills four while DWI, gets proba

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 am

I have two words to say about that:

Twinkie Defense.

This era has no monopoly on travesties of justice.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby brinstar » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:15 am

i guess, but what bothers me is that there's not even any pretense anymore. flimsy or not, at least while they felt afraid enough of the underclass to hang a pretense on the massive privilege wealth brings, we could fool ourselves into believing equality still meant something. but now it's like steinbeck said - "Fear the time when the bombs stop falling while the bombers live - for every bomb is proof that the spirit has not died." if you or i or anyone else on this board got all dosed on valium, posted a .240 BAC, haulassed around doing 70 in a 40, and THEN hit over a dozen people (4 dead, 1 still at hospital, 9 others injured) we'd go to prison until superbowl 85. these rich pricks just came right out and said yeah, we totally get treated WAY better than you and it's absolutely 100% because we're rich, what are you gonna do about it

the attorney in this case made the argument (with a straight face no less) that this shitwipe of a kid didn't actually understand that there were consequences for his actions, because his parents raised him to believe that with wealth comes freedom from consequence. not only did the judge buy it - because it's completely true - but perhaps even more disturbing he ruled that ignorance is a perfectly reasonable excuse for rich people to use when they get caught breaking the law
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Arlos » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:37 am

The more this country becomes stratified, the greater the chance of a French Revolution style "KILL THE ARISTOCRATS" situation brewing.

Honestly, the judge should have given him the max, and said something to the effect of: "You thought there were no consequences to your actions? Well, this court is here to teach you differently. Your actions cost the lives of multiple people, left others permanently injured, and no amount of money will ever fix that. You are now going to suffer the consequences of your action. May it teach you a lesson going forward, so that you THINK about the consequences before you act. 20 years. *bangs gavel*"

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Lyion » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:51 am

It'll never happen. The only way our government will be overthrown is via a coup if someone were able to convince the military to abandon it's oaths, and the way they are currently setup with the NCOs and Officers in different worlds the likelihood of that occurring is extremely slim. I personally would love to see the US broken up into disparate pieces so we have less government and more 'states' that can do their own thing, without the unitary executive and it's continued crushing of federalism.

In regards to this case, the one person had it right. Our judicial system revolves around money, and this kid has it. On the flip side, with 10 years of probation there's a good chance this guy'll fuck up and be tossed in Texas Jail, unless his parents ship him to Europe which will probably be the case. I did notice the Judge has not released him from jail yet. The problem here is she can't really go change the verdict based on media feedback. That in itself presents a worse problem than a simply horrible sentence for this brat.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby 10sun » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Go after the parents for criminal negligence giving their child that car.

Civil cases against them and the son.

Hang them up and bleed them dry.
10sun
NT Drunkard
NT Drunkard

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 am

I hate this little shit even more because he bears a slight resemblance to Joffrey.

leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Drem » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:43 am

apparently same judge gave a poor kid that killed one person ten years hard time. this world is absurd
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:06 am

Drem wrote:apparently same judge gave a poor kid that killed one person ten years hard time. this world is absurd

You can only get off the hook for affluenza, not negrobetes.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Return to Current Affairs