Duck Dynasty

Real Life Events.

Go off topic and I will break you!

Moderator: Dictators in Training

Re: Duck Dynasty

Postby Narrock » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Meh... he seems like a cool dude. This was nothing more than the typical rabid-left pouncing on the opportunity to publicly chastise anybody who disagrees with them, and turn a mole hill into a mountain. Fakeroversy to the core. Same thing happened to the CEO of Chick-Fil-A about a year ago. Here's Phil's latest comments on the situation: http://tv.yahoo.com/news/duck-dynasty-p ... 15596.html
“The more I study science the more I believe in God.” -- Albert Einstein
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:39 am

Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:32 am

LOL. That cartoon is a prime example of the intolerance and inability of the left to be accepting of a rightist opinion. Thank you for exemplifying that for us Arlos :)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:16 am

Stealing a quote from Rick Warren:
Our culture has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone’s lifestyle, you must fear them or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don’t have to compromise convictions to be compassionate.

Christianity opposes the 'gay lifestyle' just as it disagrees with being poly amorous. There's no 'hate' or 'bigotry' as those are lifestyle choices. The fascism comes from those appalled that Christians would actually, ya know, follow the bible and wish to make ones opinions about those lifestyles taboo.

Maybe you are right about the revolution thing. When it happens, it'll be interesting if it's for the same reason the original American Revolution happened: freedom of religion and escaping from oppressive overbearing governments.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:23 am

But it's not up to you to judge. Judgements come from the big guy, so why even worry about it? Why such strict adherence to this single sin when so many are discarded? It paints a picture of closeted bigotry.
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Narrock » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:46 am

Zanchief wrote:But it's not up to you to judge. Judgements come from the big guy, so why even worry about it? Why such strict adherence to this single sin when so many are discarded? It paints a picture of closeted bigotry.

You do realize that this is not about judgmentalism, right? Its about Phil being oppressed and chastised for expressing his OPINION about homosexuality. Shame on A&E.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Arlos, you just posted something that backs up what I said.

I don't understand how it is a difficult concept to grasp the similarity of two events. A guy gets interviewed in a public forum and expresses his belief that homosexuality is a sin. A bunch of people here post in a public forum that their belief that the Bible is fake. Both events are not directly harmful to anyone yet both of them are offensive to a specific group of people. In nether events was this stated in a workplace or directed at a specific coworker.

In first event the person making this statement was later fired from his workplace for making this statement and you all support this. So my question is why shouldn't people who made offensive posts here be fired from their jobs?

My answer to that was that we in this country have something called a freedom of speech, something that allows us to express ourselves in public places without fear of prosecution. Now had this guy made the same comments in a workplace and to a coworker who was offended that would have been considered a harassment and would warrant termination, however he said it in an interview to a magazine and thus should have been left alone regardless whether we like this or not.

My point is that there is a group of people who likes to pick and choose how the rules apply, and to me that is a beginning of "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" mentality that is taking over this country.
גם זה יעבור

Narrock wrote:Yup, I ... was just trolling.

Narrock wrote:I wikipedia'd everything first.
Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Zanchief » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:32 pm

He's public figure. Part of his job is to represent his employer responsibly. That's not part of anyone's job here on NT. We are not beholden to the public.

Why are softening his comment too? He didn't simply say "homosexuality is sin" as a matter of fact. He commented on sexual behaviour and likened it to bestiality.

I'm curious if you would have the same opinion if a militant Muslim was hiding behind his faith when making Misogynistic and Anti-sematic comments, Ganzo. Would he be offered the same protection by you? Would your criticism be equally unfair and hypocritical?
Zanchief
Chief Wahoo
Chief Wahoo

Postby Arlos » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:44 pm

So Lyion, when hard-line Muslims forbid girls to have any schooling whatsoever, that's OK too, because they're just expressing their religious beliefs? ANYTHING gets a pass if it's based on their interpretation of their faith? How about those sects that practice female circumcision. Is that also OK, because it's a religious expression? How far does this go?

Sorry, but intolerance is intolerance, no matter the source. I don't care if it's Dawkins saying religion should be outlawed, or frothing Baptists saying that people who are gay aren't entitled to the same rights as everyone else. Nowhere on this forum will you find me attacking faith itself. What you will see me arguing against is intolerances that arise from faith, and the institutional dogmas that have risen alongside the faiths.

For example, I think it is unconscionable that the Catholic church does not allow female priests. For that (among many other) reason, I would never choose to follow the Catholic faith, as I think that's a form of institutionalized sexual inequality, and I would never choose to participate in a faith that I think treats people unequally simply because of who they are. Does that mean I think Catholicism should be banned or outlawed? No, of course not. My parents are devout Catholics (though they STRONGLY disagree with church teachings on birth control, abortion, female priests, etc.) Hell, my dad is Grand Knight of the local chapter of the Knights of Columbus, and they're both very active in the pro-marriage church program, Worldwide Marriage Encounter.

In short, claiming intolerance and bigotry have their source in religious belief doesn't make it OK. You (and that Phil guy) have every right to hold bigoted or intolerant beliefs. But nowhere are you protected from any repercussions that arise from stating those beliefs, so long as it's not the government retaliating. Note that this isn't just in one direction, though. If the PR director of National Catholic Charities were to start doing TV ads for a local abortion clinic, say, they would most certainly find themselves fired, for exactly the same reasons A&E canned Phil.

Oh, and Mindia: The right is a bastion of tolerance for liberal ideas? This from the person with a signature of "Liberalism is a mental disorder"?? Even you must see how hypocritical that is....

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Ganzo » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:58 pm

Zanchief wrote:He's public figure. Part of his job is to represent his employer responsibly. That's not part of anyone's job here on NT. We are not beholden to the public.

Why are softening his comment too? He didn't simply say "homosexuality is sin" as a matter of fact. He commented on sexual behaviour and likened it to bestiality.

I'm curious if you would have the same opinion if a militant Muslim was hiding behind his faith when making Misogynistic and Anti-sematic comments, Ganzo. Would he be offered the same protection by you? Would your criticism be equally unfair and hypocritical?

a) He's a redneck on tv - not a public figure. He's not an elected official nor a representative of A&E, just an idiot. His job is to gain ratings by doing something on his show, not to be an ambassador of A&E.
b) His comment should be kept in context - he said that is akin to bestiality as both are considered a sin in the Bible.
c) Yes, if a militant Muslim was saying his faith says that Jews are sinners I would give him same protection. If he would say that his faith that all Jews should be exterminated I would ask for his prosecution. If you don't see how those two things are not same I can't help you.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Drem » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:08 am

The difference is obvious, but the notion is absurd. I can't help but feel that religous people are simpletons with dated views that actually seek out senseless conflict. If they weren't, people wouldn't be talking about this because no one would have sickening viewpoints about someone else's lifestyle

We're all one. Get over it already. Nowhere in the bible is intelligence praised as a virtue. Think about that, then take a long look at yourself for writing groups of completely normal people off because they want to fuck people of the same sex. Then look at your calendar and see that it's the year 2013 and seriously ask yourself what you're doing

If all you can say is "a two thousand+ year old book told me to hate genuinely awesome people", you should feel completely absurd. Because you are

Do you also loathe the samurai, the spartans, the gladiators? Lots of gay sex there
Drem
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Tossica » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:13 am

Frightened simpletons, uncomfortable with their insignificance in the universe.
Tossica
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:21 am

Arlos, I don't have the time, but I could provide an endless list of examples of how liberals are the most hypocritical, hostile and intolerant group of people on the planet. Want proof? Just watch MSNBC for an hour a day for a week.
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Ganzo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:46 am

Well that didn't take long, as usual instead of bringing up a valid counterargument it was time to implement "Ad hominem derailment strategy" so often used on NT to "win" because it is impossible to admit to being wrong.
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:21 am

Who are you talking to Ganzo?
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Ganzo wrote:a) He's a redneck on tv - not a public figure. He's not an elected official nor a representative of A&E, just an idiot. His job is to gain ratings by doing something on his show, not to be an ambassador of A&E.
b) His comment should be kept in context - he said that is akin to bestiality as both are considered a sin in the Bible.
c) Yes, if a militant Muslim was saying his faith says that Jews are sinners I would give him same protection. If he would say that his faith that all Jews should be exterminated I would ask for his prosecution. If you don't see how those two things are not same I can't help you.

a) He is a public figure though. And one that expressed attitudes counter to the corporate culture and ethos of the corporation that employed him. For an economic example, do you think the Heritage foundation would keep an analyst on if that person started publicly speaking about how he was in lockstep with the economic beliefs of Paul Krugman?

A&E felt like his expressed beliefs would damage their brand, and that the opinions he expressed were not ones they could accept in such a public representative of their brand. Remember, he wasn't just fired for his comments on gay sex, but the whole "Happy Negro under Jim Crow laws in the pre-segregation south" factored into that too. I repeat what I said before: if the Food Network can justify firing Paula Deen over what she said, how is A&E unjustified in firing him over those comments, when they're much worse?

b) Yes, but the Bible also says people who commit adultery should be put to death, prostitutes should be burned at the stake, and anyone who doesn't keep holy the Sabbath needs to be put to death too. Oh yeah, practicing astrology: death. Cursing the Lord's name: death. There's a HUGE list here: http://www.wogim.org/sinlist.htm Given how many things on that list are normal parts of everyday life (like the fact that our entire economy is built on people coveting their neighbor's goods), it seems ridiculous to me to concentrate so much on ONE item in the list. Especially when there is no harm done whatsoever by it, assuming we're discussing consenting adults here. Two people who love each other, who have sex and wish to be married. How does that harm society or themselves if those people just happen to be of the same sex? Aren't there much more pressing and negative issues to worry about than who is loving who?

c) He HAS protection. He is not facing any legal repercussions over what he said. He has not been arrested, the police have not been involved, he is not having property or liberty taken from him by the government. He is under no threat of going to jail over his comments. He was absolutely 100% free, legally, to say what he said. You can be damn sure I'd have a fit if the government DID try and silence him or if they pursued legal action against him. They have not. He was fired by a private entity for their own reasons.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:44 pm

I wanna have a barbeque and some beers with Phil and his family. Awesome peeps :-)
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Lyion » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:43 pm

Happy Holidays to my non Christian friends and Merry Christmas to those who are.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step.
C. S. Lewis
Lyion
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Arlos » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:27 pm

Lyion wrote:Happy Holidays to my non Christian friends and Merry Christmas to those who are.

Agreed. Hope everyone has a good holiday season, and all of your families are healthy.

-Arlos
Arlos
Admin Abuse Squad
Admin Abuse Squad

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Lyion wrote:Happy Holidays to my non Christian friends and Merry Christmas to those who are.

You big pussy. This is the NT.. antagonize a bit first. lol
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:29 pm

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Those of you who don't, burn in hell.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby Ganzo » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:09 pm

Jay wrote:Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Those of you who don't, burn in hell.

What if our religion doesn't have hell?
גם זה יעבור

Ganzo
Dictator in Training
Dictator in Training

Postby Jay » Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Ganzo wrote:
Jay wrote:Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it. Those of you who don't, burn in hell.

What if our religion doesn't have hell?

Then burn in Florida.
leah wrote:i am forever grateful to my gym teacher for drilling that skill into me during drivers' ed

leah wrote:isn't the only difference the length? i feel like it would take too long to smoke something that long, ha.
Jay
Nappy Headed Ho
Nappy Headed Ho

Postby brinstar » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:53 pm

Narrock wrote:oppressed

fuckin lol

until this turdclown's "beliefs" earn him a two-year sentence at a mordovian work camp i universally reject and mock those stupid enough to call what happened to him "oppression"

or for an even more timely example of actual oppression:

Chernovil, 34, was attacked as she was driving home. Her car was cornered by a sports utility vehicle. When she tried to flee, she was beaten by several men. Chernovil sustained a concussion, as well as fractures to her nose and face, said her husband Mykola Berezovy.

The attack took place hours after Chernovil published an article on a posh suburban residence which she claimed was being built for Zakharchenko.

The protesters have been demanding Zakharchenko's resignation after a violent crackdown on a small rally last month left dozens injured. They have also accused Zakharchenko and other members of Yanukovych's inner circle of profiting while other Ukrainians suffer.
compost the rich
brinstar
Cat Crew
Cat Crew

Postby Narrock » Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:43 am

lawl Jay
Narrock
NT Patron
NT Patron

PreviousNext